Any reviews/thoughts on Kent ultimate Fast Lead

I've heard that a lot. My M-2 wouldn't cycle anything.:eek::eek:
Changed the springs out, now it cycles everything.:):cheers::)

when i complained to kent they sent me a couple boxes of replacement shells and told me to change my springsout. i just traded out the shells they sent me with my brother and quit shooting their shells. that was a few years ago and several hundred shells ago still the same springs! :cheers:

I shhot kent fast lead exclusivly, i really like the #6 when i do my part i have very few criples, i will shoot the fast steel next year exclusivly as well

Just looking for some information on a good pheasant load. I have been shooting what was on sale when I needed more shells. I bought a few boxes of Wolf #4's that killed every bird I shot. I have tried a few others. The last brand I bought was Federal Premium Wing-Shok # 5 with a velocity of 1500 fps. I killed a few birds, knocked a few down that the dog tracked down, and missed a few. I think that with the extra speed they do not spread as much. One of the birds was shot at 15-20 yards and was torn up a lot by the shot.

Any thoughts on the Kent, or any suggestions? I can find Kent with 1 3/8 ounce of 4, 5, 6 with a velocity of 1450 fps for less then $12 a box, or 1 1/2 ounce of lead at 1400 fps for $14.

I am curious why you would switch from Wolf #4 (never heard of them) when the killed every bird you shot? My recommendation is find a shell you like and buy a flat or more (Tom Roster would recommend the same). I never buy shells buy the box unless I feel some need to switch and then I go patte:)rn them, if they do what I want, I buy a case. That way in the middle of the season I am never shopping for shells.

I was at Cabelas two or three years ago and saw the Wolf shells. That was the only time I have seen them. They were on sale for $4 a box if I remember right, and I bought a couple of boxes to see if they were any good. I like them, but can't find them anywhere. I went to the Wolf site and can only find the shells in 6, 7 1/2, and 8. You are right, I should have bought a case or two.

It's true! Faster lead (higher velocity) equals less lead (distance you aim in front of said bird)! ;)

Maybe and I stress maybe this might be a slight benefit on sustained lead shooting (pass shooting) at the edge of range but on a flushing bird do you really believe that helps?

It's true! Faster lead (higher velocity) equals less lead (distance you aim in front of said bird)! ;)

Technically I suppose your right, but does that translate to anything that your eye can see? I doubt it.

Bear with me on the technical stuff here...;)

I shoot a fair amount of sporting clays in the off season. I have shot ammo with a velocity of 1145 fps and have shot ammo with a velocity of 1350 fps and for the life of me any difference in forward allowance on targets when they break is virtually unnoticeable to my eyes. Now your mileage may vary, just stating what I see. You also have to take into account that the faster the velocity, the faster it will be slowing due to air friction vs a similar load of less velocity. So following this logic, as distance to the target increases the less the advantages (if any) vs a slower velocity load.

Last edited:
With the higher velocity I was thinking of higher energy delivered to the bird. 1/2mass * velocity^2=Kinetic energy. My thought was that I might cripple fewer birds at a reasonable distance. I find myself normally passing on shots past 35 to 40 yards anyway, so I don't know if this makes much sense. I think that the slower velocity shells seem to spread wider at a given distance. Still debating the issue with myself.

I think it helps, but it can't help forever. I have never heard it mentioned but I bet your EYE retrains your timing. So what do you do, bump up the speed again.
At some point you run out things to bump up to. 1240.............1700 definite advantage. 1700......1750 not so much. And 1700 is hell on your gun, shoulder, and ears.

I base this on steel..... where the speed race began. Lead has the energy to kill at any range. Pattern and the front half of the bird matter most. The kind of payload and speed your talking about, 6's will kill anything in range.

Last edited:
With the higher velocity I was thinking of higher energy delivered to the bird. 1/2mass * velocity^2=Kinetic energy. My thought was that I might cripple fewer birds at a reasonable distance. I find myself normally passing on shots past 35 to 40 yards anyway, so I don't know if this makes much sense. I think that the slower velocity shells seem to spread wider at a given distance. Still debating the issue with myself.

At reasonable distances your assumption would be correct on energy per individual pellet. However, you must also take into account what type of pellet were talking about. The reason steel shot now days is being made to ultra fast velocity is because it is light and light pellets need to be driven fast to retain the kind of energy needed to make clean kills downrange. Lead and tungsten based ammo retain their energy far better and do not need the ultra fast velocity to be effective, even at extended ranges.

Maybe and I stress maybe this might be a slight benefit on sustained lead shooting (pass shooting) at the edge of range but on a flushing bird do you really believe that helps?

No, I don't believe it helps much but adding 10-15% fps in velocity certainly doesn't hurt (unless maybe you're shooting 1000's of shells at the skeet/clays course and are accustomed to a certain velocity). I've shot (and missed) plenty of birds with both regular and high velocity loads but if given a choice, I'll take the HV loads all day. I think the only load that's made me stop and consider the advantage are those Golden Pheasant 1 3/8 oz 1485 fps 12 gauge rounds. On several occasions, I've pulled the trigger on a long bird, thought to myself that I'm behind it and need to get a second round downrange, only to watch it pile up:cheers:

Umm, your right, but if you can try them, you may just be surprised. these little 1oz suckers are sweet. They kill stuf at nice ranges for me. I love em. I would think they would be the quail bomb.

I have shot them and really like them. But people tend to get too caught up with the speed, and don't learn about what it does to the pattern of their gun.

Your right. I bet some contest or trap shoot circut. But I have no clue. I wonder though.:D

Are you ready for this.... It kind of just rolls off the tongue. :cool:

Federation Internationale de Tir Aux Sportives de Chasse

Bet you can't say that 3 times real fast...:D

It's French. Fitasc is basically the European version of sporting clays. More difficult and disciplined than our American version. Longer, faster and more variety of target presentations. It's shot over here quite often as well and I prefer it over regular american sporting by far.

The loads you have labeled "Fitasc" are designed with this game in mind. High velocity as targets can often be presented up to 60 yards or further in some cases.

There.... you learn something new everyday. :thumbsup:

Back