Any reviews/thoughts on Kent ultimate Fast Lead

Thrasher

Just looking for some information on a good pheasant load. I have been shooting what was on sale when I needed more shells. I bought a few boxes of Wolf #4's that killed every bird I shot. I have tried a few others. The last brand I bought was Federal Premium Wing-Shok # 5 with a velocity of 1500 fps. I killed a few birds, knocked a few down that the dog tracked down, and missed a few. I think that with the extra speed they do not spread as much. One of the birds was shot at 15-20 yards and was torn up a lot by the shot.

Any thoughts on the Kent, or any suggestions? I can find Kent with 1 3/8 ounce of 4, 5, 6 with a velocity of 1450 fps for less then $12 a box, or 1 1/2 ounce of lead at 1400 fps for $14.

Just looking for some information on a good pheasant load. I have been shooting what was on sale when I needed more shells. I bought a few boxes of Wolf #4's that killed every bird I shot. I have tried a few others. The last brand I bought was Federal Premium Wing-Shok # 5 with a velocity of 1500 fps. I killed a few birds, knocked a few down that the dog tracked down, and missed a few. I think that with the extra speed they do not spread as much. One of the birds was shot at 15-20 yards and was torn up a lot by the shot.

Any thoughts on the Kent, or any suggestions? I can find Kent with 1 3/8 ounce of 4, 5, 6 with a velocity of 1450 fps for less then $12 a box, or 1 1/2 ounce of lead at 1400 fps for $14.
Why so fast?

I've used the 1 1/2 ounce load a few years ago. It worked as good as any other heavy load from a 12 gauge. I'm sure some will say I can't shoot or some other lame response for wanting such a heavy load but we don't have a lot of wildbirds here and I like to put them down when possible and heavier loads make the possible a few yards farther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrismike View Post
Why so fast?
Less lead. Quote:

That is sort of what I was thinking.

I used some in 20, #5s. They are good shells. But to be honest when shooting over point the birds are close. and #5 is a little big, and it doesn't take a heavy hitting shell.

You just need to re choke and pattern your gun. Those federal shells will out perform any thing. If not in your gun, it's rare. I shoot at ranges of 35-40 yards and they drop dead, not too many follow up shots. I will never give up these Fed Prem's. They have the lead the box says they have.
I use the Kent 1 OZ 1,450's as well and love em. I use them for pigeon, dove, chuckar and even a first shot pheasant. 7 1/2 shot. Both of these loads are wonderful. At 20 yards any shell will blow them up.

Last edited:
I shoot the federals but haven't had to buy shells since the kents became widely available. There shouldn't be much of a difference between the two, other than your gun...choke prefer one over the other.
Have shot a ton of kent steel no complaints. Some complain they don't do well in semis-..... 750+ without a problem.

Less leed(sp)...... can't hurt.

I recommend them

I have shot Kent Fast Lead loads for years and have really liked them. They have gotten a little pricier than they used to be is my only complaint. They pattern extremely well in my gun and I have had few cripples using them. I have always shot the 1 1/2 ounce 5 or 6 shot one they make as they do also have a 1 1/4 ounce one that has more FPS I think. Another load I really like is B&P MB long range which has nickel plated lead and has done great for me also. Only drawback they are hard to find unless you buy them directly from B&P by the case. Stay away from Prairie Storm, too tight of pattern for short yardages and they caused cycling problems in my Browning Gold.

I killed several roosters with the Kent fast lead with my 20 this year. The 1 ounce of #6 worked well over the setters! Most of my birds were dead in the air and I didn't have many misses. I think you'll like them!

i really liked the kent fast steal in my browning pump. but when i bought my benelli sbe 2 the kent loads would n't cycle reliably so i switched to winchester xpert. :cheers:

I killed several roosters with the Kent fast lead with my 20 this year. The 1 ounce of #6 worked well over the setters! Most of my birds were dead in the air and I didn't have many misses. I think you'll like them!

I wish I would have gotten #6, but the #5 was on sale last year when I went through the Cabelas in Sydney. Got a flat for $50.

i really liked the kent fast steal in my browning pump. but when i bought my benelli sbe 2 the kent loads would n't cycle reliably so i switched to winchester xpert. :cheers:

I've heard that a lot. My M-2 wouldn't cycle anything.:eek::eek:
Changed the springs out, now it cycles everything.:):cheers::)

I am shooting a Remington 11-87. So far it has fired everything I have put in it. I have ranged from low base 8's for trap, through various 2 3/4 inch shells, to 3 inch 4's and 5's in South Dakota. I am pretty sure it will cycle fine with the Kent.

Thrasher I wasn't directing that at anyone other than Benelli. I know your Remington will cycle it just fine. When the M-2, Super Black Eagle2 came out there were cycling issues with some. I assume poorly tempered springs. I broke mine in assuming it would get better. Ran it wet.... dry. Different brands. It was always unreliable. Rather than send it back during hunting season and wait what I assume would have been greater than 90 days. I replaced the parts myself and was up and running in three.
Unfortanately some still blame the ammunition. Which I don't blame them for, because unofficially that is Benelli's position.

I did not take your response as aimed at anyone. I have heard a lot of people talking about the issues they had with some of the guns. Benelli has been having a few issues. My brother shot an SBE2 for a while that was a little finicky.
I was kind of putting a feeler out to see if anyone had encountered any issues with 11-87's and certain ammo.
It's all good!!

My experience with Kent steel is that it kills as well as ammunition costing 75% more. It sounds like lead is the same way.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Back