Aging Hunters

Dakotazeb

I didn't want to steal onpint's thread on CPR but while watching that video I thought about being in the field by one's self. I'm 65 years old and do a lot of hunting alone. As the years continue to add up I'm wondering if going to the field alone is a good idea. Not just from the heart attack/stroke standpoint but also as we age the chances of a fall or something else that could cause a severe injury. Any thoughts out there on the subject?

Let me tell you, two very close friends..one a relative both older guys..died alone on a hunting outing. One my wife's Grandfather in South Dakota. He shot a big buck every year as long as anybody could remember. He did shoot a dandy buck.HIS LAST! He did not return home after dark. He was found around midnight. He shot a nice buck and had been trying to load it by himself. He was found in the back of the truck. He had crawled up in and passed away.

The other, my dear friend who owned our local gun shop. He lived in Alaska for many years as a commercial fisherman. He was 70 plus years old. He also did not return home from a scouting trip for the coming waterfowl opener. He was found around 1:00AM. He had fallen over board trying to fill his mud motor with gas. He had his life jacket on but could not get back into the boat. He was far from any solid ground in a huge wild rice river. He died of hypothermia. This death haunts me to this day. He was such a super guy.

If you must go hunting by yourself. Make sure somebody knows exactly where you are going to be. What time you left and when you will be returning. Carry a cell phone..make sure it's fully charged before leaving for the field. Th If you can, have someone call you near the time you believe you will be done hunting to check on you. That way if you do not answer. They can come check on you. I'm sure there's more good ideas, post away

Last edited:
A man that I met once fell out of his tree stand and landed on a tree root and paralyzed him from the waist down. On this occasion he had a cell phone and called for help. After he got out of the hospital he opened an archery shop and got help to set up a blind to go deer hunting.

A man that I met once fell out of his tree stand and landed on a tree root and paralyzed him from the waist down. On this occasion he had a cell phone and called for help. After he got out of the hospital he opened an archery shop and got help to set up a blind to go deer hunting.

A 30yo friend of mine fell out of his stand last fall and broke both of his legs. Good thing he had his cell phone or he may have died of hypothermia sleeping on the ground. He's the type that never told anyone where he was going....he does now;)

Dakotazeb, you know it's time for you to have someone along or at the very least, have a cell phone with you. I know hunting alone w/ your dogs is what provides the most pure form of satisfaction. Surely there is a SD member of UPH that is faced w/ a similar circumstance that may be willing to "parallel play." That is, pair up w/ someone else that prefers to hunt solo and hunt in the same area, maybe even opposite sides of large public parcels. I dunno, just an idea.

Yep, no more hunting alone for you old farts (I'm a young 51). You should be calling me to hunt with you just in case...
but seriously, be careful. I have thought about carrying a GPS signal and letting my wife keep the receiver in case I did go down and could not get back. At least they would find me (hopefully) before the coyotes do.

I hunt alone a lot, don't have much of any family around anymore and I'm 63 in a couple months-not much choice. My hunting partner on our SD trips is now 73 so then we can look out for each other. We are both in superior physical condition which helps but it gets harder. The last time I took my cell phone with me duck hunting, it got soaked and fried-should have had it in a baggie I guess. Hunting alone and the risk involved is part of getting old-I'd rather go that way then die in the office so I won't quit anytime soon.

I'm 57, have a pacemaker/debibulator, due to poor heart function. I go at it slower than I used to, and I have been basically forbidden by my loved ones to hunt alone. I miss it! In my youth I used to joke about dropping over in the field. Now I guess possible if not likely. Don't feel any older mentally than when I was 25. Not in a hurry to go, but at least I'd be doing what I like. Sure beats dying in a hospital, or an old folks home knowing your best days are past you.

I'm 77 and I plan on Bird hunting this fall with my Brits. About 8 years ago I was hunting alone and I was watching Tony my oldest Brit work a bird. I stepped into a Badger Hole and Ripped Up the Calf Muscle out of my leg. IT was chore getting out of the field and I spent 2 months in bed letting the leg heal. Now I try to have some one with me. But in the event, I Always carry the cell phone. My wife still knows where I am and about the time I should be home. I will add this last thought. "I'm young and in my prime and ready anytime.".......Bob

Last edited:
Dakotazeb- I've been hearing for years why I shouldn't hunt alone
I just enjoy it- always have

although there was a time I dropped into an old cistern/well/or something in a blizzard up in Minnesota- figured I could get out but I was concerned about the 2 Britt's

I think at least letting someone know where you will be is a good idea for all of us. I'm only 24 and I had a good scare last season. I was chukar hunting alone and walked farther than anticipated from my truck, not to mention the thousands of vertical feet I walked down. Long story short I only told my brother I was going to the "chukar hills", the problem is there are hundreds of thousands of acres out there I was referring to. Next time I'll be more specific.

suppose that's always best- at 14 I'd head out from the house and into the woods- Big Woods up in N Minn- can remember a few times I didn't want to come home- had a pocket knife- and some matches- spending the night has never bothered me-

anyone who can remain calm and keep his scenses- has nothing to fear about not knowing exactly where they are-

if worried- have survival gear with you

I always carry my cell phone and also try to give my wife an idea of the general area I'm headed to. I think if your cell phone is turned on they can now track you in an emergency. Am I right?

Did anyone ever think of using ONSTAR or look at the SPOT messenger as cheep insurance and piece of mind. Should something bad happen you can get help. It also eases the worry of the loved ones we leave at home.

Hey Dakotazeb, You make a very good point. I don't like to go out by my self any more. Like Jmc I'm a young 50. When I was younger I'd go every day, If I could, No Fear. I'm a lot older now and a hole lot smarter. Besides it's no fun if no one can confirm your story, Or carry your butt out of trouble.

i hunt alone alot. i always tell my wife what farm i am going to. i have shown her where my tree stands are on these farms. also have several close friends who know where they are also. alwaysn have a cell phone. i also try to have some one with me when i move a stand. very good idea to change straps every year. i have some stands that i leave up all year. good idea to call wife when i am out of the woods and let her know i'm going to run some errands on way home so she doesnt worry.

No Death Wish, but Thoughts of It

Whenever I am getting winded slogging up the side of a draw or through snow, I think, "Am I a little old for this?" Realizing that a heart attack is often the first notice a person has of his or her heart disease, it's something to think about. When the thought pops into my head, my mood is so good -- because I am hunting -- I think, "Oh, well. It's a good day to die." (It's easy to talk bravely sitting in a comfortable office!) I've said I want to die with my boots on rather than slowly rotting away in a nursing home. I heard about a fella whose doc told him his heart disease was too severe for him to go afield. He was perfectly happy to die afield so he told his huntin' buddies what the score was and they agreed to accompany him anyway. Sure enough, he died with his boots on.

Great thread, DakotaZeb.

Last edited:
I just spent a week alone in some out of the way rough country. No phone service. I'm 61, don't worry about much of anything while I'm out there.
Will be going into that country again alone on a elk Mule deer hunt and plan on packing meat.
My Wife knows the general area I'm in.
If that's how I'm going to check out, so be it.:cheers:
I watched my Dad four years in a nursing home, stroke had him just living.
Yeah, I ain't worried about having the big one while I'm doing what I love.
Kids and Wife understand.

I hunt alone and when I don't there is only 1 guy I hunt with that knows where we are. Phone service isn't great either. I never think about it till I am at the house. Small town too.
Anyway make sure you leave a note like the guy did in the movie jerimiah johnson so I won't feel bad taking your gun. I don't need your dog I have 3. Oh Yea and your Wing Works Vest I need one of those too!:cheers:

Have a great hunt this year and stop depressing me!

Lazlo

After Dad passed, I started hunting alone. At 63 with one heart attack behind me (at 50), I still enjoy it. I don't hunt big game anymore, but love chasing uplands & coyotes. Kids know where I'm going & I always carry a cell with the locator feature enabled. When my time comes, I hope I have either a shotgun or a fine flyrod in my hand.

Back