Aging Hunters

I just spent a week alone in some out of the way rough country. No phone service. I'm 61, don't worry about much of anything while I'm out there.
Will be going into that country again alone on a elk Mule deer hunt and plan on packing meat.
My Wife knows the general area I'm in.
If that's how I'm going to check out, so be it.:cheers:
I watched my Dad four years in a nursing home, stroke had him just living.
Yeah, I ain't worried about having the big one while I'm doing what I love.
Kids and Wife understand.

I can't blame you one bit, sir. No better way to go than taking one last look at the sky and land that God created. Hopefully I'm not quite there yet, but I couldn't imagine a better way to go. Especially if that special dog is laying next to you, guarding your remains like a soldier until the reinforcements arrive.

So far I've done all my adventures without a GPS mostly without a compass. Yeah I've been bad lost, spent the night on the mountain. Sure enough was an adventure. I knew the mountain real well but the low clouds moved in, got all mixed up on directions. Next day it cleared up sunshine. I had been totally turned around, North was South to me in the fog.:eek:
Just got the GPS, practicing with it, what a :cool: little device. :)

I will be 72 in February.. Since my brother retired last year, most of the time we hunt together, if not he knows where I hunt. Being from east central Wisconsin most of the sections are 1 or 2 miles square. After reading this post, it would be interesting to see what the average age is of everyone on this site?
p.s. I took my lab to the vet yesterday for a dry coat, blood work shows he has started to have a throid problem. The sad things is I told the vet he would be 7 in December and the vets said he was going to be 8, it turned out he as right .:( that was not good news....

This thread hits close to home on me as I'm 67 yrs now and I like to hunt with my dog. I also like hunting with others,, but for years I worked Saturdays and had Tuesday off. Nobody was available so I went alone. It has it's benefits and drawback as well.

Several years back I had an older friend who's wife had died and there was only him and children who were too busy for him much. I used to eat meals with him especially breakfast at a little drivein local hang out sort of place. One Saturday, Opening day of Deer season He was at breakfast and I asked, "Herman how come you aren't hunting?" He replied, "I'm getting too old and afraid something might happen to me." He was in his early seventies with some fairly minor health issues, but hunting was what he lived to do and he didn't have money to do much else. He was a master welder and did odd jobs around his shop for anybody. He was the sort who would use ten dollars worth of welding rods and charge you three dollars. If people had paid him what he was worth he'd have been wealthy, but he was not. Anyway, I asked him what was the worst thing that could happen to him if he went hunting? He thought about it a minute and said, "Well I might die!" I asked him if he could keep that from happening by staying home? He thoughht about it and as he was getting up he replied, "Im a goin' huntin! I recon if I died, I be happier there than anywhere else!" He never slowed up from then on. Several years later I missed him at breakfast one morning and went to his home to check on him. He didn't come to the door and I went to a window at his bedroom and called out to him. He answered he thought he'd had a heart attack. I called my office and told them I had to take him to the doctor, which I did, and it was , and he died the day they had told him he could come home. I guess my point is that it will come wherever you are when it is time. I cannot prevent it by staying home either, and I always have more "Talks with the Man Upstairs" when I'm out in His beautiful out of doors, so I cannot think of a better way, nor place to go. I'm enjoying life and not wanting to go, but I'm ready if He wants me. I do try to let my wife know where I'm going but I tell her not to worry if I'm a bit late. I carry a cell phone but it doesn't always work.

Back