A true triple?

Gee, thanks gettinbirdie. Your story reminded me of a time a little thicket erupted with like 7 roosters & a few hens. Right in front of me. 5 shells. Zero pheasants. 🤣🤣 It was 1 of 2 times in my life I've seriously considered throwing my gun in a snow bank & going home. (What actually happened is that we hunted around the other side of the big slough, where several had flown, & picked up 2 singles.😀)

But I don't actually remember the details of the singles afterward. I do, however, vividly recall all that color & cackling boiling out of the thicket, attempting to pull the trigger a 6th time, & looking down to see my action locked open. It would've been so perfect too. The thicket was right on the edge of a big frozen slough. As I was mounting my gun, I could already see those 3 dead roosters lying there on the ice & snow, so easy to find & recover. Instead....goose egg. To this day, I have to force myself to laugh about it. 🤣

Last edited:
That was a great read I was right there with you for a second watching those birds flush. Thanks for posting.

Six or seven years ago I had a similar experience but on the first day not the last. I am about nine hrs from where I used to have some access in SD. I left my house about 4am which put me there about 230 in the afternoon. I was delayed due to a couple inches of fresh snow. I was meeting some others the next day and didn’t want to burn up any of the bigger spots. There was a very small section of thick cover out in the middle of cut corn, maybe thirty yards wide and 100 yards long. As the dog and I neared the south end, the dog got real hot and I could tell birds were moving. About ten yards in several blew out the north end and I began to think it was a bust. The cover got consistently thicker with most being shoulder high. As I was now down to the last thirty yards, I began to tense up. Immediately two roosters blew out one left and one right. Amazing to me I dusted both of them ( I am a very streaky shooter). After the first shot several other birds got up and I was able to take a third which the dog ran down in the corn. I know I know not a true triple. But with pheasants it is as close as an old fat guy will ever get. The fresh snow definitely helped as there were at least 30-40 birds in that little patch. Birds were thick there that year.

That was a great read I was right there with you for a second watching those birds flush. Thanks for posting.

Six or seven years ago I had a similar experience but on the first day not the last. I am about nine hrs from where I used to have some access in SD. I left my house about 4am which put me there about 230 in the afternoon. I was delayed due to a couple inches of fresh snow. I was meeting some others the next day and didn’t want to burn up any of the bigger spots. There was a very small section of thick cover out in the middle of cut corn, maybe thirty yards wide and 100 yards long. As the dog and I neared the south end, the dog got real hot and I could tell birds were moving. About ten yards in several blew out the north end and I began to think it was a bust. The cover got consistently thicker with most being shoulder high. As I was now down to the last thirty yards, I began to tense up. Immediately two roosters blew out one left and one right. Amazing to me I dusted both of them ( I am a very streaky shooter). After the first shot several other birds got up and I was able to take a third which the dog ran down in the corn. I know I know not a true triple. But with pheasants it is as close as an old fat guy will ever get. The fresh snow definitely helped as there were at least 30-40 birds in that little patch. Birds were thick there that year.

that's a triple

When I lived in Iowa I believe I pulled a true triple.

Setting the scene:...Hunting alone (of course), my springer and I stepped into a 'pile'...wings and snow everywhere. Killed the 1st quick on the rise then one tried crossing back behind me. I pivoted, swung, fired...two down. Took my focus back out front and a third from the group was still in range and quartering to my left...bang...down. I just stood there trying to absorb the event.

Now...my best friend and hunting buddy (also a member here) has argued this point with me. His argument is not with the first two birds. His standpoint, rightly so, is that when shooting behind me I cannot be sure that 3rd bird was already in the air and not flushed until the gun work began. Ergo all three birds might not have been in the air at once and I also cannot be sure. That would negate the triple.

I'm calling it a triple. Even made a shadow box with the 3 hulls and 3 tail feathers. Doubt i'll happen again no matter what you call it.

Opinions...floor is open

Setting the scene:...Hunting alone (of course), my springer and I stepped into a 'pile'...wings and snow everywhere. Killed the 1st quick on the rise then one tried crossing back behind me. I pivoted, swung, fired...two down. Took my focus back out front and a third from the group was still in range and quartering to my left...bang...down. I just stood there trying to absorb the event.

Now...my best friend and hunting buddy (also a member here) has argued this point with me. His argument is not with the first two birds. His standpoint, rightly so, is that when shooting behind me I cannot be sure that 3rd bird was already in the air and not flushed until the gun work began. Ergo all three birds might not have been in the air at once and I also cannot be sure. That would negate the triple.

I'm calling it a triple. Even made a shadow box with the 3 hulls and 3 tail feathers. Doubt i'll happen again no matter what you call it.

Opinions...floor is open

a triple for sure!

Opinions...floor is open
Well, you've got 1 vote for a triple, plus your own. I'll acquiesce if you get 3 more "yes" votes & 0 "no" votes. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Otherwise, it's still a double plus a single.:LOL:

Now that the cat's out of the bag, I also recall a time we decided to split up & hunt opposite edges of a slough, around to meet up on the other end. As you were an out-of-stater at the time, I figured I'd let you have the "good" side. We were nearing the end where we'd meet up & I heard a shot on the other side. Another shot. And a 3rd shot. All in a matter of about 5 seconds. All of it took place behind some of those big, tall phragmites, so I was unable to see any of it. Eventually we got to a point we could see each other rounding the edge of the cattails. Not 3 roosters stowed in the vest. 3 roosters in hand! Out where they were clearly visible & impressive looking, even from a distance, & all for my benefit, as I hadn't fired a shot. Not a true triple, but about as quick a limit as a guy can reasonably hope for, & the whole scenario was very well played. It was pretty great.

Reading all these great posts-got me excited! These are all unique hunting experiences that we all daydream about and continue going into the field hoping for... the "holy grail" of pheasant hunting experience! 🤣 🤣
These experiences are few and far between and definitely remembered but with that said, I honestly would rather work for my limit. If it takes me into the afternoon to kill my limit...I get more satisfaction out of my hunt.

I have hunted pheasants for close to 40 years and had never gotten a triple until 2 years ago then it happened twice, the first time took 4 shots as the last bird hit the ground running and I had to finish him, the second time the following year I took 3 shots and dropped 3 roosters. I had witnesses for both times or I know that no one would believe me. The 1st picture was from the 2nd time which happened last year and the second pic was from 2 years ago and took 4 shots. I should note that both times this happened it was all within a 20 or so second time frame with all the birds flushing around me but not all in the air at the same time so whatever that makes it.

Attachments

• 20201114_170944.jpg
    20201114_170944.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 18
  • FB_IMG_1639265043307.jpg
    FB_IMG_1639265043307.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
I have hunted pheasants for close to 40 years and had never gotten a triple until 2 years ago then it happened twice, the first time took 4 shots as the last bird hit the ground running and I had to finish him, the second time the following year I took 3 shots and dropped 3 roosters. I had witnesses for both times or I know that no one would believe me. The 1st picture was from the 2nd time which happened last year and the second pic was from 2 years ago and took 4 shots. I should note that both times this happened it was all within a 20 or so second time frame with all the birds flushing around me but not all in the air at the same time so whatever that makes it.
…..that makes it awesome! Gold star for you

You are a lucky man to have that happen to you not only once but twice in your lifetime!

That's pretty tough to do with a double gun, as Kre say's but I did make a triple on quail once with my little double 28. Just as I yanked the trigger one got up and flew about 10 feet in front of the barrel. blew a wing off, killed the bird i was aiming at then made a nice shot on another.

I bet, in all seriousness, there have been some triples never realized or recovered because a bird was hit and flew off only to sky upwards hundreds of yards away while all the other chaos is going on and the bird wasn’t watched after it was shot at and appeared to just fly away. I’m always amazed how often that happens…several times per season, it seems…some are 300+ yards away…
That could happen. I've never gotten a triple, and maybe a few doubles. I know my cousin has never gotten a double. Double shot of whiskey maybe.😆

No sh#@ wild phez don't frush all at the same time and give you time to do a triple many times much less a four banger. Then the other guy who claims he had time to do a spin around ballet spin to get third bird at 35, 40 yd. BS. Big difference between a true triple and a staggered flush, big different!!
I'll bet most of this is bs.Ive never seen a triple in 40 some years, nor have I gotten one. First of all, you have to have 3 birds get up simultaneously, and that's very rare.

The other day a friend of mine texted me that he got a double when he was pheasant hunting; two roosters get up almost simultaneously and he shot each of them with one shell (not the same shell). I have done this a few times before, but I've never had a triple. Has anyone accomplished this feat? Three roosters with 3 shots WHIM WHAM BOOM? I've never had the opportunity to even try this in 20+ years of pheasant hunting. But that doesn't mean I won't get the chance next time out!
A true triple is very rare. They have to all flush at the same time.Thats a triple.

No sh#@ wild phez don't frush all at the same time and give you time to do a triple many times much less a four banger. Then the other guy who claims he had time to do a spin around ballet spin to get third bird at 35, 40 yd. BS. Big difference between a true triple and a staggered flush, big different!!
That's true.Ive done a staggered flush triple. My cousin even did one, but one bird was a hen.

I'll bet most of this is bs.Ive never seen a triple in 40 some years, nor have I gotten one. First of all, you have to have 3 birds get up simultaneously, and that's very rare.
The question is why do you care? You seem to know everything about the correct way to hunt, party size, truck to drive, pay to hunt, whether someone is honest when they post on here. We all continue to learn much about how to conduct ourselves

Back