A true triple?

gimruis

The other day a friend of mine texted me that he got a double when he was pheasant hunting; two roosters get up almost simultaneously and he shot each of them with one shell (not the same shell). I have done this a few times before, but I've never had a triple. Has anyone accomplished this feat? Three roosters with 3 shots WHIM WHAM BOOM? I've never had the opportunity to even try this in 20+ years of pheasant hunting. But that doesn't mean I won't get the chance next time out!

Closest I’ve come I guess you would call a report triple. Rooster got up and dropped him, another, and another. All from the same spot, flew the same direction and fell within maybe a ten yard circle.
Hunting alone and I was done within half an hour.

Last season I had 2 roosters jump at the same time going away and dropped each one on separate shots. As I shot the second bird a third jumped from the same location heading to my left and I was able to swing and get him with my third shot. So 3 roosters on 3 shells in a matter of seconds without me moving. My hunting partners were working the hillside toward me and were able to watch it all unfold. Most times when 3 roosters jump from a spot I have a lack of concentration on a single bird and end up missing them all!

The other day a friend of mine texted me that he got a double when he was pheasant hunting; two roosters get up almost simultaneously and he shot each of them with one shell (not the same shell). I have done this a few times before, but I've never had a triple. Has anyone accomplished this feat? Three roosters with 3 shots WHIM WHAM BOOM? I've never had the opportunity to even try this in 20+ years of pheasant hunting. But that doesn't mean I won't get the chance next time out!
Really hard to do with and over/ under?

I have gotten 5 geese with 3 shots several times. Couple of times had the opportunity on pheasants. DIDN'T GET ANY !!!

Closest I've came is on Prairie Chickens. Wasn't 3 birds with 3 shots tho. 3 birds, 5 shots. They all got up in one group of 3. First one dropped on one shot, 2nd with two shots and 3rd with 2 shots. With a pump I might add haha

Bummer was we didn't find the 3rd until the next morning. Found 2 right away, looked and looked with 3 dogs, no luck. Hunted the same spot the next morning and we went back over the area to find that bird. Lo and behold, we found but all chewed up by some critter. Kinda took the shine off of it a bit.

Really hard to do with and over/ under?
So three years ago I had a staggered flush out of a ditch in the middle of a cut milo field in SD. Missed the first one twice. Dropped two with two shots, last one got up and popped one shell in and dropped him at about 40 yards. All happened in about a minute and a half and never moved an inch. Not a triple, but first time I ever limited in that time with two reloads.

Last year I dropped 3 roosters on 2 shots. A scotch double and a true double. I'm pretty sure its the only time I've ever shot a scotch double on any species, including quail, though sometimes in a duck blind it's kind of hard to tell. I'm generally good for a few true or spot doubles on upland birds per year.

I shot a triple this year in Iowa, all 3 got up and flew in slightly different directions, shot the 1st, hit the 2nd bird twice and swung behind me and shot the 3rd at about 35-40 yds with my last shell. I was 20 yds from the truck and done in 10 mins. Took me almost 30 years to pull it off and I doubt i'll ever get another chance anytime soon!

I've only shot one true triple, but it was a quail/pheasant combo: quail - pheasant - quail. The pheasant was setting right n the middle of the covey and really surprised me. It was quite a change in rhythm.

This is really strange because I can honestly say I am struggling to recall any doubles. As for triples, I have had three such opportunities and capitalized on two of them sort of. As a teenager, three rooster were hanging out in a bush. They flushed and I shot each one. The last one hit the ground running and it is one of the only times I ever remember my youth dog loosing a cripple. Three years ago while walking some CRP, I had six or seven flush all at once. I only ended up hitting two. A few weeks ago, there was a bush by the prairie trail that had a cattail draw coming off it. I saw a rooster inside the bush and kept driving. My dogs and I walked about 100 yards up to it and I signaled my dogs to the North while I came around the South side. Birds flushed from both the bush and the draw. The first two shots were easy but I had to wait a little while for the third rooster to clear a hen that was flying too close to it. I shot that one at about 45-50 yards. Ellie retrieved two which gave the pup a chance to retrieve her own.

shot a triple with three shots on our early November trip. Have done this a number of times over the years, especially when there were very strong bird numbers over a decade ago. Shot four birds on the rise twice (group hunting), the first time a fifth bird was missed. That still haunts me..........20 ga LW Wingmaster. Can vividly remember the spots, very special when it happens................. those opportunities are rare...................funny how one forgets those times when 2 or 3 should have been dropped, & lucky to get one! I've certainly had my share of those through the years

I witnessed one this season. Guy pulled in to the lot as I was stepping off and asked if he could hunt the same field. He said he’d just work his new dog right by the entrance and I could hunt the bulk of it.

I get about 200 yds in and hear him scream, which allows me to witness him drill 3 roosters 30 yards from the trucks.

I then got to witness every other rooster nearby get bumped by the shooting.

Did a lot of muttering to myself the rest of the day.

shot a triple with three shots on our early November trip. Have done this a number of times over the years, especially when there were very strong bird numbers over a decade ago. Shot four birds on the rise twice (group hunting), the first time a fifth bird was missed. That still haunts me..........20 ga LW Wingmaster. Can vividly remember the spots, very special when it happens................. those opportunities are rare...................funny how one forgets those times when 2 or 3 should have been dropped, & lucky to get one! I've certainly had my share of those through the years
I've got some real estate in Florida I will sell you.

if it has quail & turkey, I'll buy it. Goose - drive that push button shift Rambler out to South Dakota, and I'll buy all the PBR, Old Milwaukee, Schlitz, you can drink. Then I'll teach you how to shoot the next morning.................................................

Had as close as I will get last year, a pair got up and drop each and at that moment a 3rd rose and got him too, probably a 5-6 second affair, but not a true 3 bird simultaneous flush. Must have taken us all of 15 minutes to find the last of the 3, which was one of the first 2 down. The last one shot fell arcross the road into bean stubble and took-off running, about the time I thought I better get going, my cousins lab was after him and made a great run-down and retreive. The other 2 were down in deep CRP grass and neither were easy to find, I didn't do a very good job marking them. I would not have shot them all without the group I was with. That CRP is a beast to locate downed birds without good marking. The grass is so tall, the dogs might not see the fall. The drill there is shoot one and recover it...it seems there they usually popcorn flush and most are not hard pointed, one flushes and a whole flock will rise...impressive but not the best for harvesting them.

Back