A true triple?

When I lived in Iowa I believe I pulled a true triple.

Setting the scene:...Hunting alone (of course), my springer and I stepped into a 'pile'...wings and snow everywhere. Killed the 1st quick on the rise then one tried crossing back behind me. I pivoted, swung, fired...two down. Took my focus back out front and a third from the group was still in range and quartering to my left...bang...down. I just stood there trying to absorb the event.

Now...my best friend and hunting buddy (also a member here) has argued this point with me. His argument is not with the first two birds. His standpoint, rightly so, is that when shooting behind me I cannot be sure that 3rd bird was already in the air and not flushed until the gun work began. Ergo all three birds might not have been in the air at once and I also cannot be sure. That would negate the triple.

I'm calling it a triple. Even made a shadow box with the 3 hulls and 3 tail feathers. Doubt i'll happen again no matter what you call it.

Opinions...floor is open
No

Reading all these great posts-got me excited! These are all unique hunting experiences that we all daydream about and continue going into the field hoping for... the "holy grail" of pheasant hunting experience! 🤣 🤣
These experiences are few and far between and definitely remembered but with that said, I honestly would rather work for my limit. If it takes me into the afternoon to kill my limit...I get more satisfaction out of my hunt.
I agree.Its more fun to get the third one late in the afternoon. Case in point: I was hunting with my cousin up in the frozen northern tier of Montana on public land.I got one at 10 in the morning when my dog flushed a rooster out of thick cattails on the edge of a frozen pond. The next one happened in a patch of Russian olives around noon on a different public property. The third happened in a tree row, 15 minutes before shooting hours.That was a passing shot, as I was hiding in the trees, while my cousin was shooting unsuccessfully at a hen up ahead. That was a gard earned limit!!

I sure wish someone would write up the Official Ultimate Pheasant Hunting Rules For Claiming a Triple.
How does this sound? 😂

UPHR 7.3.4B. “Doubles and Triples”

Continuous shooting with no chance to reload on closely flushing roosters and/or maybe even simultaneously would constitute a double or triple. Any pause in the action that lowers the barrel of the shotgun momentarily would negate the feat.

This is what my 11 year old and 19 year old nephew came up with when I posed the question today. I would agree. The 19 year old said in fishing a triple means three fish on at the same time but hook sets do not need to be simultaneously. I find my nephews to carry a lot of common sense. 😀

How does this sound? 😂

UPHR 7.3.4B. “Doubles and Triples”

Continuous shooting with no chance to reload on closely flushing roosters and/or maybe even simultaneously would constitute a double or triple. Any pause in the action that lowers the barrel of the shotgun momentarily would negate the feat.

This is what my 11 year old and 19 year old nephew came up with when I posed the question today. I would agree. The 19 year old said in fishing a triple means three fish on at the same time but hook sets do not need to be simultaneously. I find my nephews to carry a lot of common sense. 😀
See how they'd feel about adding, "In order to be a TRUE triple, all 3 birds must begin beating their wings before the trigger is pulled the first time."

OP here. When I started this thread, I had recently taken a double (both roosters flushing at the same time and I shot folded both) which got me to thinking if anyone had taken a triple. I've been pheasant hunting for 23 years and I've never had the opportunity.

I should have clarified my definition of a triple when I started this as I can see responses are all over the board and some clarification may be needed. As usual, some individuals just can't help themselves about making a smart ass comment or starting an argument. Doesn't really surprise me though.

If 3 roosters all got up at the same time or almost exactly the same time and you folded up all three of them, I would consider that a triple. Earlier in the thread someone made the comment with quail and I figured that might be easier to do because of their size.

See how they'd feel about adding, "In order to be a TRUE triple, all 3 birds must begin beating their wings before the trigger is pulled the first time."

Well, that will eliminate.....almost all of them. We can vote on that rule change and if passed, close the thread. Love the Whales reference!!!

Missed a true triple early this season. I had 2 dogs working a 5 yard strip down a fence line on a public walk in area. Was 30 minutes before end of shooting time. Dogs were cat walking and I was right along side them. 30 yards of short grass and cattail slough to my left and 20 or so rows of picked corn to the right on the adjoining proprty.. 7 or 8 roosters flushed and I dropped 1 straight way. Dropped a second just short of the cattails and as I am looking at the dogs 1 rooster who was almost over the corn banked hard back across in front of me. A clean miss.
I have went 5 for 5 on a staggered flush ,where I never lowered the gun, twice in 40+ years of hunting. Both occurred with birds in the ditch next to public ground. One ended with 4 birds flopping on the road and 1 on the ice. Yes all were flying. The other happened with 2 guys standing right by me who couldn't see that 3 of the 5 were very young roosters.
Biggest gaff was taking a handicapped guy out hunting. He was able to walk but couldn't handle rough ground. He saw a bird on the road which ran into the ditch. Now this was at another buddies ground so I stopped the car where my friend said to. We got out and I walked into the ditch with the handicapped guy along the edge of the road. All he'll broke loose. 5 or 6 hens and a rooster came out from all around me. I waited for him to shoot and when he didn't I folded the rooster. I asked him why he didn't shoot? He said I forgot to load my gun. Then he said why did you only shoot that 1? Surprised I said the rest were hens. B.S. he snorted , look at them in the plowing they all left here and landed there. 6 roosters and 8 hens.I said I never saw them.

I have never got a twofer and only seen it done 1 time.

Well, that will eliminate.....almost all of them. We can vote on that rule change and if passed, close the thread. Love the Whales reference!!!
That I recall, based on my personal definition of true triple, I've had 1 halfway decent opportunity ever & I missed the 3rd rooster. If I haven't shot a triple, then the definition needs to be strict enough so nobody else can either.:LOL:

This is a great description A5. I appreciate this Holy Grail of pheasant hunting almost as much as the double drop tine buck. It certainly requires there to be a healthy pheasant population for starters. I stated earlier I do not recall any true doubles that meets your definition. However, I listed two triples, one as a teenager where one runner got away and another where I could not be certain if all three where beating their wings before the first shot due to a bush. The other opportunity I spoke of had six or seven Rudies explode at the same time in CRP before I fired a shot. I was so damn excited I vaporized #1 and punished #2 then had a big wiff on #3. which could not have been more than 40 yards. For the past 5 years, I have averaged about 25 days of hunting in areas I would say have fair amount of pheasants and have not seen any other opportunities by hunting partners than the two I have had. It is a rare thing and makes me appreciate the feat even that much more.

PS. I drove by a very small willow thicket along the road that had four roosters sitting in the bush located on private ground that I have access. I stopped and got out without a gun (already had my limit) to see the reaction. All four flushed immediately as I walked towards the willows. Would have been an interesting shoot for sure and up to me to close the deal. The opportunities do happen occasionally. Interestingly enough, this is what drew me to walk this and is the same dirt that Willow stumbled into the cable snare.

I'll bet it doesn't happen on wild birds more than once a year, if that. It is very rare to have 3 flush at the exact same time.Ive only seen it a few times in 45 years in Montana, and North Dakota.

I'll bet it doesn't happen on wild birds more than once a year, if that. It is very rare to have 3 flush at the exact same time.Ive only seen it a few times in 45 years in Montana, and North Dakota.
And when a guy does walk up on a big flush, there are going to be hens that get in the way of your first and best shot. Happens every time.

I would wager that most of us who have made doubles, don't really want to admit that we also belong to the 5 and 0 club!!

And when a guy does walk up on a big flush, there are going to be hens that get in the way of your first and best shot. Happens every time.
Yep, and pass shooting does not count. You have to flush 3 roosters simultaneously. You have to have an automatic, and you have to be lightning fast.

Back