2011 bear hunt is over

Oddly, that's EXACTLY the same thing I used to say back when I was dating.

Sadly, not to great effect.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

in my younger days i had a few, that after a few:cheers:, looked like 70 in low light. But in the light of day turned out to be 200

Who among us hasn't tried to "field dress" a two hundred pounder or three. Usually after a few cold ones in the back seat at the drive in! Shows my age, I doubt if there are any drive ins anymore, but there's no shortage of 200# er's. Good Laugh.

Who among us hasn't tried to "field dress" a two hundred pounder or three. Usually after a few cold ones in the back seat at the drive in! Shows my age, I doubt if there are any drive ins anymore, but there's no shortage of 200# er's. Good Laugh.

Kismet,

You've opened a knee-slappin' can of worms with your comment! I'll refrain from confessing of any personal experience b/c my wife gets on here sometimes.....:rolleyes::eek:;):thumbsup:

O&N,

Way to "roll" (pun intended) that up into a package with some hunting lingo. I have to ask Sir, did you "field dress" 3 of those 200lbr's at the same time by chance? Did they even do that back in your day?:D

Last edited:
Well done Chuck! Congrats on all the bears!:thumbsup::thumbsup:
I cant believe you clowns are debating shooting a small bear.
Yeah, I almost puked when my son and I were out fishing many years ago and he wanted to keep a tiny bluegill. boy did I set him straight!!!!! Whats wrong with him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

last year at 17, he took his first black bear, about 100 lbs. I was so happy I teared up in the stand. I'd never been so proud!
Last Friday about 7 pm, he took his second bear. This time it was an approx 200 lb sow. I suppose there are bigger sows so that one should've been allowed to walk...on top of all that it was a GIRL bear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

get off your high horses boys!

Well done Chuck! Congrats on all the bears!:thumbsup::thumbsup:
I cant believe you clowns are debating shooting a small bear.
Yeah, I almost puked when my son and I were out fishing many years ago and he wanted to keep a tiny bluegill. boy did I set him straight!!!!! Whats wrong with him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

last year at 17, he took his first black bear, about 100 lbs. I was so happy I teared up in the stand. I'd never been so proud!
Last Friday about 7 pm, he took his second bear. This time it was an approx 200 lb sow. I suppose there are bigger sows so that one should've been allowed to walk...on top of all that it was a GIRL bear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

get off your high horses boys!

Refrain from name calling on the board. Sharing a differing opinion doesn't necessarily mean someone is on a "high-horse."

Last edited:
Refrain from name calling on the board. Sharing a differing opinion is not necessarily someone being on a "high-horse."

I didn't call someone a high horse if that's what you're referring to. My differing opinion is indeed that someone is conveying a high horse attitude just because the small bear wasn't OK to shoot in their mind. I'd guess that most all of these fella's have never bear hunted much less shot a bear. Most people think that black bears are the size of Volkswagons. Most would be very very surprised how difficult it is to tell the difference in a good bear, large bear and huge bear.

I disagree that one exclamation point conveys the same emotion as 10 and I'm OK with grammar. Thx

Respectfully submitted,

Chuck, I always wondered what my silver video camera looked like in a bears eyes. Now I know. That picture is cool!

I didn't call someone a high horse if that's what you're referring to.
Respectfully submitted,

No Sir,

I was referring to "I can't believe you clowns...." I for one don't appreciate being called a clown. Telling folks their opinion is wrong for one reason or another is one thing, but you didn't need to call anyone on here a clown just to get your point across.

i suspect, looking back at this thread, the poster probably didn't think there would be so much controversy.....at the end of the day, each hunter has to live with his own decisions reagrding his harvest, he alone can only determine the merits of his own judgement and actions....we can all agree to disagree, but words printed on the page can elicit different responses, depending how they are viewed...what is offensive to one may not be to another and a carless verb or adjective can set some folks off....people who frequent this board, for the most part, aren't looking to be sole judge and jury of others.
moving on..........

O' Lord (lol)! I have to say I've gotten a kick out of this thread.

Anyway, I think this discussion has come full circle. Many good points have been made but now were reaching a point of "he said, she said".

Maybe it's time to move on? ;):cheers:

P.S--anyone know what the U.S. record black bear weighed in at? Just REALLY curious how big those things can get.

Not sure about record but the old buys around here get some big bruisers. I hope running them with hounds doesn't offend anyone cause that's how we do it in California. I've been one time and we had two treed that day with four hounds.

I remember seeing the world record black bear was 800+ pounds. And no KB, I did not "field dress" 3 x 200#er's at the same time. that was over the daily bag limit. Back seats, though larger than they are now, were much to small for that, anyway even the 200#er's wouldn't go for the deal! either that or I sobered up enough by then.

Funny timing but I had a neighbor come over yesterday and say she had a black bear in her driveway that morning and we should all be careful because it was the biggest bear she had ever seen. She said it was 900lbs. :eek:

I then asked her how much she thought her truck weighed so I could get a reference. :D

Other than the political #$@*, pretty decent discussion!

Because I have never found larger bears to eat poorly--and bear is far better to me than any venison, when cared for properly--I'd go for a bit larger one when I felt I had the choice. But it's more about meat for me than trophies (did I mention nothing eats better?).

But you don't always get many chances even over bait. And nothing drags worse than a bear...been a few times I've wished one I've had to move by hand weighed 70 pounds! Talking bear now, of course....

I have harvested two bears, a 130# that hangs on my Mom and Dad's wall and a 300# on my own wall. The 130# was my first and I would have swore it weighed 250# when I shot it. .300 Win Mag right through the heart and it still ran 100 yards. There was nothing left of the heart when it was gutted out. Learned you shoot them through the shoulders and break em so they can't run. Any guide will tell you every bear you shoot will loose at least 50# from the time you shoot it till you walk up to it.:D

I will agree bear meat is better than venison and I love venison. I have 7(1 WY Any, 2 SD Any, 4 SD Anterless) deer tags this year. At least 3 will be donated to sportsman against hunger. Deer hunting gives me something to do until 10 AM when pheasant is legal.

Last edited:

If you really want to relive your youth there is a Drive In in Winner SD and 30 miles away in Gregory also. Miller SD still has one also.

I've had bear before and I'd say I'd eat it again! I was told that the bigger the bear the more fat in the meat and the fat makes the meat taste poor.(?)

By the way it sounds this is not the case:confused:

If you really want to relive your youth there is a Drive In in Winner SD and 30 miles away in Gregory also. Miller SD still has one also.

O&N, I bet you could find a 200 pounder in one of those towns too. If not I could pick one up for you in Nebraska on my way north in a few weeks

Thankfully, I no longer have the inclination, but I do appreciate the offers. I don't need any help with bears either, to anticipate the next response.

Back