2011 bear hunt is over

cnggack

My link

The link has a bunch of files of bears on each different bait sites . On twenty baits site only three never had a bear come in A couple had six different bears both had sows with triplets ,some only had one. I think I had 44 different bears on 17 sites. acouple baits were only a little more than a 1/2 mile apart but they span a 30 mile area so most are likely different bears.We had 12 hunters in camp and got three bears .Most only hunted three to four days.Had a great time!!!

This is a trail cam pic of my bear with me with my bow pulled back a split second before my shot.
logbait09-03-2013.jpg

This is my bear 115#field dressed. After pic

DSCF0060.jpg

This one was a bigger dry sow hardly any teeth left will be interesting to see how old she was.

DSCF0069.jpg

her before pic

Ybait09-02-20115.jpg

and the third bear a yearling we did not wiegh but would guess 70 lbs

bearhuntpics20112.jpg

Let me start off by saying I always look forward to your photos. They are amazing and I share them with my family. I look forward to them each month.
Congrats on a successful bear hunt. I do have to admit I was very uncomfortable seeing the 70lb yearling :( . I know its legal but it just didn't sit well with me and those photos won't be shown to the family.
Looking forward to the deer and pheasant photos.
Sincerely,
Bob

Let me start off by saying I always look forward to your photos. They are amazing and I share them with my family. I look forward to them each month.
Congrats on a successful bear hunt. I do have to admit I was very uncomfortable seeing the 70lb yearling :( . I know its legal but it just didn't sit well with me and those photos won't be shown to the family.
Looking forward to the deer and pheasant photos.
Sincerely,
Bob

X2 on EVERYTHING you said Bob! I too show my family most photos, but there's no way I'm showing 'em that one. I'm certain I would've let that little guy pass.

X2 on EVERYTHING you said Bob! I too show my family most photos, but there's no way I'm showing 'em that one. I'm certain I would've let that little guy pass.

sorry, but shooting a 70 lb. yearling is just plain lame......you have to ask yourself.....why? :(

I'll go for a yearling deer any chance I can. They're great for the table. Same can apply to black bear. This Yearling bear was exactly that; a yearling. NOT a cub.

Also, it can be very easy to miss calculate the size of a black bear in a dim-lit woods. Especially if you don't have another bear to "size" it up with.:cheers:

Thanks for posting the pictures. Great looking animals.

This may not sit well with some, but taking an animal that is legal is totally the HUNTERS choice. There is absolutely nothing wrong with taking this yearling. Why are people upset? Is it because they look more cartoon like and cuddly than the adults? I see absolutely no reason to not take this animal if that is how the hunter sees fit to use HIS legaly obtained tag.

That yearling bear was the first time bear bowhunters trophy If he had gotten it on a canadian guided bear hunt it would have been a 150 pounder and ours would have been a 200 and 350 resectively bear weights are always exagerated when at a paid bear camp ours are actual weights.The average bear in our area field dresses at 130 pounds and is 4 years old. Anything above 200 is a real trophy. The bears that we hunt are used to people and most know better than to come into a bait while its still light.All of the 8 hunters that spent their evenings hunting over their bait would have been glad to have a chance at a legal bear instead they saw nothing . If a yearling had come in it would be their choice they just will have to wait until next year because they were not as lucky as that young hunter was.I hope you don't plan on shooting any roosters from this years hatch and not shoot one until its spurs are at least a 1/2 inch long no sport in it otherwise.We put out over 10,000 pounds of bait on twenty different baits and feed about 44 different bears . We may have killed three but we gave them a lot of food to help them produce many more than we took.They also give me a lot of enjoyment when I am able to capture their pics at the baits. I love getting pics of roosters all winter too but come pheasant season they are not my pets and I would love to get a shot at some and have some great meals.
Sorry about such a long post .I just want you to understand killing a yearling bear is no easy task its a real trophy.

Sactimonious profusions to the contrary, I guess you guys should pass up shots at birds of the year pheasants. I actually have more of an issue shooting bears over dumps and bait, as a "sporting" enterprise than what they shot, although personally I wouldn't have released an arrow or hunt over bait, it is a legitimate pursuit in almost all states where bears are legal game. FYI bears are actually expanding their range, as apposed to say pheasants, quail, etc. So layoff those yearling pheasants, and birds of the year quail, throw in this years production of ducks, geese, doves, rabbits, etc.

My 2 cents, if I may. No different then a button buck, calf elk, Rooster with little color. Congrats on the Bear with a bow!! Bait or Dogs is the only way to manage this species. Colorado banned both and look where we are!! The CDOW kills so many Bears because we have too many ,they run into problems searching for food in town. It baffles me that we can't figure out what it takes to manage game animals. You hear they put down a Sow with 2 cubs, because she was breaking into numerous cabins. They say they relocated the cubs. I know the truth!!! I have contacts!! The public has no idea that the cubs were also put down!!!! He was a licsense holder who paid to hunt bear and did so in a legal manner. His choice to shoot a yearling!!! No problem here!!! I have also seen a 7 year old bear ( aged from teeth extraction and sent in) weigh in at 85 pounds!!!

That yearling bear was the first time bear bowhunters trophy

This is a very good point. When doing taxidermy I don't just mount monster bucks, but also young deer. Buttons and does. Tom turkeys and jakes.

I've had first time pheasants brought in that are immature and busted up to all heck. It doesn't matter to the one who harvested it.

It's often the experience, memory or "the first" that makes the bird or animal a trophy.;)

My 2 cents, if I may. No different then a button buck, calf elk, Rooster with little color. Congrats on the Bear with a bow!! Bait or Dogs is the only way to manage this species. Colorado banned both and look where we are!! The CDOW kills so many Bears because we have too many ,they run into problems searching for food in town. It baffles me that we can't figure out what it takes to manage game animals. You hear they put down a Sow with 2 cubs, because she was breaking into numerous cabins. They say they relocated the cubs. I know the truth!!! I have contacts!! The public has no idea that the cubs were also put down!!!! He was a licsense holder who paid to hunt bear and did so in a legal manner. His choice to shoot a yearling!!! No problem here!!! I have also seen a 7 year old bear ( aged from teeth extraction and sent in) weigh in at 85 pounds!!!

Might just be geographical that I agree with Bleu. Congrats on the bear, nice pics. I have hunted them 2 times and have not got one.We all want Sampson, Bullwinkle, Hogzilla, etc...sometimes we get Rudolph sometimes we get nothing. Anyways the guy in the pic looks happy, and thats what counts.

cnggack, can some of us have the "allowed to shot any rooster" card,LOL. Trying to measure that spur is rough when the dog has 'em on point.

My comments weren't meant to infuriate anyone. Also, I don't have a problem being part of the minority here. I don't know anything about bear hunting so I questioned a practice. I didn't say his buddy is a bad person or that the posts shouldn't have been made. When I have the option as a sportsmen, I like going for the old "dogs" so I had to wonder, "Why use a tag on an animal that young (if a guy could truly tell the difference)?"

You guys are going to kill the commentary on this site if you flog everyone with an opposing view. Why have a discussion board if we're only going to discuss one side of an issue:confused: It should then be called a reporting board with no option to reply.

To the OP, I've never hunted bear or been around bear hunting. It doesn't look like something I'd like to eat and there certainly isn't a problem with the population in my (admittedly small) part of the world. I meant no harm in my post, I just wondered "why." I've heard the justification now and that satisfies my curiosity at least. I wanted nothing more. It really doesn't matter if I agree or not b/c it was done legally. Does that mean I should just keep my thoughts to myself b/c you don't agree? There are a few of you guys that would be great players in today's presidential cabinet;) Ya know, "Shut up people; stop asking questions! We'll run this country however we like and you'll not question us." There's a little too much sensorship going on here. None of us that were questioning the taking of the 70lb'r suggested he never should've posted.

Last edited:
I'm like you kansasbrittany onwhat you said.There are times I thought of posting and did not because of the response I would get out of the comment that I posted or someone would take it the wrong way and make a big stink out of it. That is why I'm very selective on what I respond to....Phil

My comments weren't meant to infuriate anyone. Also, I don't have a problem being part of the minority here. I don't know anything about bear hunting so I questioned a practice. I didn't say his buddy is a bad person or that the posts shouldn't have been made. When I have the option as a sportsmen, I like going for the old "dogs" so I had to wonder, "Why use a tag on an animal that young (if a guy could truly tell the difference)?"

You guys are going to kill the commentary on this site if you flog everyone with an opposing view. Why have a discussion board if we're only going to discuss one side of an issue:confused: It should then be called a reporting board with no option to reply.

To the OP, I've never hunted bear or been around bear hunting. It doesn't look like something I'd like to eat and there certainly isn't a problem with the population in my (admittedly small) part of the world. I meant no harm in my post, I just wondered "why." I've heard the justification now and that satisfies my curiosity at least. I wanted nothing more. It really doesn't matter if I agree or not b/c it was done legally. Does that mean I should just keep my thoughts to myself b/c you don't agree? There are a few of you guys that would be great players in today's presidential cabinet;) Ya know, "Shut up people; stop asking questions! We'll run this country however we like and you'll not question us." There's a little too much sensorship going on here. None of us that were questioning the taking of the 70lb'r suggested he never should've posted.

KB, I don't think your comments were the ones that offended. Certainly everybody on here should be able to voice their opinion, or concerns, without fear of being beat down. I certainly have been on the wrong side of the majority on many issues on this site. That is ok for me too. I think most of the time it is in the delivery. I have to admit, when I first saw the picture of the yearling it kinda made me a little uneasy. I guess I have watched Yogi and Bobo too many times on TV. But certainly I am passing no judgement on anothers right to take him. On the issue of baiting. How is this different than planting a field of millet or milo and flooding it to attract waterfowl? Or putting in clover or a salt block for deer? Or even planting a food plot next to CRP to attract Pheasants? I personally don't see much difference. It is easy to blast people for beliefs that don't jive with yours. If we were all the same this forum would become pretty damn boring. Remember you will learn far more from a different view, than one such as yours.

I may have contributed to the hurt feelings here, but that was not my intent. My actual point was that the shooting of the bear was legal, and no different than shooting birds of year pheasants or other gamebirds. We have variations of the hunting sport which is not for us. Havilah Babcock wrote a famous short story which sums it up nicely in the early part of the last century, titled " I don't want to shoot an elephant". His point being he was perfectly fulfilled hunting quail over dogs and though he didn't feel an inner need to shoot an elephant, there was no social stigma attached to those who did! Sounds that this debate has been around a while. I have hunted bears, ( I should say chased with futility), with hounds. Had a great time. I'm not a stand hunter, so hunting over a dump or bait is not my bag. I acknowledge that bait hunting may well be the only effective method available with any chance of success. I personally feel there is a difference between spreading corn, or apple bait for deer, than I do about a planted food plot. For one thing a food plot will bring game into the area, while a salt block, pile of corn or treated apples locates the animal precisely in your kill zone. That's ONLY a personal opinion. Where legal, I have no complaint. If we drive the archery deer, bear, etc. hunters out of the fold due to artistic differences, we take a step toward helping the anti-hunters succeed in eliminating all of us. That bear may have weighed 70#, probably looked like 200# to a first timer in low light, and by the way, it was certainly big enough to tear up your cabin, kill your small livestock, threaten your pets. I believe we are to some degree a victim of the Bambi syndrone amongst ourselves. KB I had the same initial reaction as you, then I had a chance to examine the issue from a different perspective, and felt differently. I still won't show it to the kids or wife, anymore than a veal calf at the slaughter house. It's life and nature is crueler yet. I didn't like seeing antelope exhausted and bogged down in a snow drift either. I know little about bear lore, but I suspect that a good number of yearling bears don't survive to the next year anyway, starvation, killed by other bears, who knows? I for one appreciate the open discussion, and frank feelings, don't stop! I keeps us all thinking. That's what enjoy here.

I may have contributed to the hurt feelings here, but that was not my intent. My actual point was that the shooting of the bear was legal, and no different than shooting birds of year pheasants or other gamebirds. We have variations of the hunting sport which is not for us. Havilah Babcock wrote a famous short story which sums it up nicely in the early part of the last century, titled " I don't want to shoot an elephant". His point being he was perfectly fulfilled hunting quail over dogs and though he didn't feel an inner need to shoot an elephant, there was no social stigma attached to those who did! Sounds that this debate has been around a while. I have hunted bears, ( I should say chased with futility), with hounds. Had a great time. I'm not a stand hunter, so hunting over a dump or bait is not my bag. I acknowledge that bait hunting may well be the only effective method available with any chance of success. I personally feel there is a difference between spreading corn, or apple bait for deer, than I do about a planted food plot. For one thing a food plot will bring game into the area, while a salt block, pile of corn or treated apples locates the animal precisely in your kill zone. That's ONLY a personal opinion. Where legal, I have no complaint. If we drive the archery deer, bear, etc. hunters out of the fold due to artistic differences, we take a step toward helping the anti-hunters succeed in eliminating all of us. That bear may have weighed 70#, probably looked like 200# to a first timer in low light, and by the way, it was certainly big enough to tear up your cabin, kill your small livestock, threaten your pets. I believe we are to some degree a victim of the Bambi syndrone amongst ourselves. KB I had the same initial reaction as you, then I had a chance to examine the issue from a different perspective, and felt differently. I still won't show it to the kids or wife, anymore than a veal calf at the slaughter house. It's life and nature is crueler yet. I didn't like seeing antelope exhausted and bogged down in a snow drift either. I know little about bear lore, but I suspect that a good number of yearling bears don't survive to the next year anyway, starvation, killed by other bears, who knows? I for one appreciate the open discussion, and frank feelings, don't stop! I keeps us all thinking. That's what enjoy here.

:10sign:You're much better at putting these things in words than I am:cheers: No hurt feelings here, but I am a bit disappointed/concerned by the censorship efforts.

Don't get me wrong folks, I'm not losing sleep over this. In my half-retarded youth I shot a doe with spots:eek: I haven't shot anything that wasn't on-the-wing since.

Glad to see a moderator finally stand up against over-censorship & everybody working it out like gentlemen amongst themselves. There is no such thing as a discussion or "iron sharpening iron" if everybody is just a bunch of backslapping, cookie-cutter parrots always on the same side.

I personally have passed several times on small bears (only want one BIG one in my lifetime & have no desire to ever kill another one again) - but my buddy said he was perfectly happy with "patches" & could handle all the ribbing for what we in PA bear camp all referred to as the "suitcase bear" & I have to admit it made a beautiful mount/conversation-piece laying lazily on a tree limb in a very small living room - which neither his non-hunting wife or anyone else seems to mind AFTER the fact.

I can tell you from experience (especially where baiting & dogs are not legal & large group bear-drives are the primary means of hunting) - you almost never get much time for a clean shot, much less sizing an animal up. I can live with the fact that I have opted to pass on several opportunities till I get what I want. I can also see how & live with the fact that some of my fellow hunting buddies are not so discriminating. Legal is legal - I also have friends & family that will shoot a yearling deer in a heartbeat, sometimes preferably (they're meat hunters & proud of it). Dare I as a semi-trophy hunter who will hold out for at least a good part of the season on a better buck or animal, go pontificating or looking down my nose at the others as "lesser" hunters??? I could make a pretty strong inside-case from decades of close observation & rubbing shoulders that "trophy hunting" often brings out the worst in a man...

Strong points of view are welcome with me as long as the self-righteous stone throwing doesn't start from either side of the aisle. Hey, some people think that hunting period is a sin (especially the poor, helpless little birdies that we all like to hunt with our mean old doggies) & you won't catch me insensitively rubbing it in their face - instead I'll be silently creepin, circling wide & downwind like all good hunters do... :D

That bear may have weighed 70#, probably looked like 200# to a first timer in low light, and by the way, it was certainly big enough to tear up your cabin, kill your small livestock, threaten your pets.

Oddly, that's EXACTLY the same thing I used to say back when I was dating.

Sadly, not to great effect.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Back