Stock Market

No shortage of crazy these days.

Bitcoin down about $5k at the opening today. A buying opportunity - or the first little leak in the dam?

No shortage of crazy these days.

Bitcoin down about $5k at the opening today. A buying opportunity - or the first little leak in the dam?
I saw that. I can't tell you what the hell is going to happen. It might go to 350K. Might go to 5K. I certainly wouldn't bet against it!

This interview with Bill Gates was interesting. A lot of interesting takes can be made from this. As far as Uranium goes, his TerraPower is interesting along with Michael Burry buying - "Attention is moving to uranium stocks after a recent surge in the underlying commodity. Investors are betting that uranium will play a bigger part in a green economy. One investor who is joining the action is Michael Burry of the infamous “Big Short” film. Burry made a reported $270m through his investment firm betting on GameStop (GME) and now he sees value in uranium."

I saw that. I can't tell you what the hell is going to happen. It might go to 350K. Might go to 5K. I certainly wouldn't bet against it!

This interview with Bill Gates was interesting. A lot of interesting takes can be made from this. As far as Uranium goes, his TerraPower is interesting along with Michael Burry buying - "Attention is moving to uranium stocks after a recent surge in the underlying commodity. Investors are betting that uranium will play a bigger part in a green economy. One investor who is joining the action is Michael Burry of the infamous “Big Short” film. Burry made a reported $270m through his investment firm betting on GameStop (GME) and now he sees value in uranium."

Like you, I see no practical alternative to huge increases in nuclear power (safe and clean or not) if the move to suppress oil and gas succeeds over the longer term. Any chance we could get some of our uranium back from the Russians? Guess not. At least, not in the form we'd want it!

Say what you will, it certainly looks as if the dominos are all falling in a straight line. Might as well make an honest buck in the process. Any favored suppliers? Construction sources (not GE, still too hit from the the third Hiroshima).

Bitcoin futures are up a couple K this AM. If you are considering rotating your assets so as to bend your risk curve (I love the way the pundits speak). There sure are a of experts out there but the real expertise would be in knowing which ones to listen to, which ones to ignore, and which ones to run like hell from. At least Maria B (Futures), and Larry Kudlow speak in terms that even I can understand. And seem to have some common sense about them (even if Larry is maybe just a tiny bit RINO).

I just thank God that the Fed is wise enough to recognize that we have no inflation at present, and that this must be corrected at all costs. :cool:

But seriously. Not sure this is the best time to adhere to the time honored approach of dollar cost averaging. We are in unknown, choppy waters.

Bad day today took some major hits in the stock market, broke my bridge and spent three hours in the dentist chair then when I left missed a step at his office and fell flat on my face. Should have stayed in bed...

Bitcoin futures are up a couple K this AM. If you are considering rotating your assets so as to bend your risk curve (I love the way the pundits speak). There sure are a of experts out there but the real expertise would be in knowing which ones to listen to, which ones to ignore, and which ones to run like hell from. At least Maria B (Futures), and Larry Kudlow speak in terms that even I can understand. And seem to have some common sense about them (even if Larry is maybe just a tiny bit RINO).
I used to watch CNBC religiously in the background while I work and what not. I shut off my TV subscription, so I'm working on alternative stations which so far are sort of blah, but "you get what you pay for". Plex has Cheddar and Yahoo Finance... not bad, more talking heads. ;)
I just thank God that the Fed is wise enough to recognize that we have no inflation at present, and that this must be corrected at all costs. :cool:

But seriously. Not sure this is the best time to adhere to the time honored approach of dollar cost averaging. We are in unknown, choppy waters.
Yep, absolutely ZERO inflation. John Williams has been on top of this for years http://www.shadowstats.com/alternate_data/inflation-charts

My typical advice of dollar cost averaging is not advised during these times... I agree. Michael Burry has been tweeting up a storm and it's getting interesting. I follow him daily and he deleted a lot of tweets last night after a 20 hour bender. Bizzare. That's why I also follow a Twitter Archive of him https://twitter.com/BurryArchive and he's usually dead on.

He's been going nuts on weimar republic and interest rate issues. Really interesting what he is talking about.

Attachments

• EvIS4gXWgAA9p5B.jpg
    EvIS4gXWgAA9p5B.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 3
Like you, I see no practical alternative to huge increases in nuclear power (safe and clean or not) if the move to suppress oil and gas succeeds over the longer term. Any chance we could get some of our uranium back from the Russians? Guess not. At least, not in the form we'd want it!

Say what you will, it certainly looks as if the dominos are all falling in a straight line. Might as well make an honest buck in the process. Any favored suppliers? Construction sources (not GE, still too hit from the the third Hiroshima).
Update.

President Biden no longer wishes to crush natural gas along with oil. He told union leaders this today, so you know you can put it in the bank - better dump those uranium stocks pronto.

To show you what a pal I am - I'll take 'em off your hands at only a small discount. :)

I used to watch CNBC religiously in the background while I work and what not. I shut off my TV subscription, so I'm working on alternative stations which so far are sort of blah, but "you get what you pay for". Plex has Cheddar and Yahoo Finance... not bad, more talking heads. ;)

Yep, absolutely ZERO inflation. John Williams has been on top of this for years http://www.shadowstats.com/alternate_data/inflation-charts

My typical advice of dollar cost averaging is not advised during these times... I agree. Michael Burry has been tweeting up a storm and it's getting interesting. I follow him daily and he deleted a lot of tweets last night after a 20 hour bender. Bizzare. That's why I also follow a Twitter Archive of him https://twitter.com/BurryArchive and he's usually dead on.

He's been going nuts on weimar republic and interest rate issues. Really interesting what he is talking about.
Do you believe, or suspect, that we are entering a stock value bubble? Certainly appears to be true, at least, for some stocks but I'm speaking across the board.

Update.

President Biden no longer wishes to crush natural gas along with oil. He told union leaders this today, so you know you can put it in the bank - better dump those uranium stocks pronto.

To show you what a pal I am - I'll take 'em off your hands at only a small discount. :)
I'm a terrible trader. I am a long term trend guy and that's what I stick to. When I make a decision, I'm going for better or worse and typically will double and triple down. Uranium... I'm still in.
Do you believe, or suspect, that we are entering a stock value bubble? Certainly appears to be true, at least, for some stocks but I'm speaking across the board.
We have been in a bubble for the longest time. However, the government keeps popping their heads in and make up the rules with rates, bonds, etc... I.E. the game could keep going for 3 months, 1 year or 2 years... maybe longer. I'm defensive with my portfolio right now. The greatest wealth transfers happen in times of crisis or market crashes.

They have been printing so much money it's asinine. The money has to go somewhere... real estate, stocks, bonds, services, etc. I would imagine the powers at be will know when that is, but I don't, nor does anyone on the outside. I can predict trends, undervalued/unloved assets, but that's about all I can tell you. My guess is, we are at a odd time in a this slice of history and the USA might start breaking apart at some point. Everyone thinks it's conspiracy, it's just feudalism at the end of the day and nothing new... robbing from the peasants. What people forget is governments have done this since the dawn of time. People need to read more about currency debasement, which is nothing more than stealing from the people. It's just not a "free market" anymore, it's fiat money and it's been happening since the Roman empire. Nothing new. These clown politicians (red/blue/orange) print and rob us blind since they (apparently) work for higher powers. To answer your questions, at some point, one would think there will be a correction. Beyond my pay grade unfortunately.

I'm a terrible trader. I am a long term trend guy and that's what I stick to. When I make a decision, I'm going for better or worse and typically will double and triple down. Uranium... I'm still in.

We have been in a bubble for the longest time. However, the government keeps popping their heads in and make up the rules with rates, bonds, etc... I.E. the game could keep going for 3 months, 1 year or 2 years... maybe longer. I'm defensive with my portfolio right now. The greatest wealth transfers happen in times of crisis or market crashes.

They have been printing so much money it's asinine. The money has to go somewhere... real estate, stocks, bonds, services, etc. I would imagine the powers at be will know when that is, but I don't, nor does anyone on the outside. I can predict trends, undervalued/unloved assets, but that's about all I can tell you. My guess is, we are at a odd time in a this slice of history and the USA might start breaking apart at some point. Everyone thinks it's conspiracy, it's just feudalism at the end of the day and nothing new... robbing from the peasants. What people forget is governments have done this since the dawn of time. People need to read more about currency debasement, which is nothing more than stealing from the people. It's just not a "free market" anymore, it's fiat money and it's been happening since the Roman empire. Nothing new. These clown politicians (red/blue/orange) print and rob us blind since they (apparently) work for higher powers. To answer your questions, at some point, one would think there will be a correction. Beyond my pay grade unfortunately.
You nailed it.
Don't mean to stretch my tether but have to ask, do you do this for a living? Asking for a friend.

You guys worry to much. What possible problem can result from creating $4 trillion out of the ether with a few computer keystrokes and funneling it to the wealthy elites?
</sarcasm>
Just nervous I guess. But I'm surprised at you - failed to mention the trillion as yet unspent from the previous frenzy, or the $2 trillion (at least) already lined up for Pelosi's next act of generosity at your expense.

As some guy said, help is on the way. Problem is - help for who?

I worry as well about the debt...it has grown from 13 trillion in 2010 to 28 trillion today, soon to grow more. But having said that, does it adversely affect Apple? Google? Amazon? Wal Mart? Target? McDonalds? Merck? United Health? JP Morgan? Exxon? Business will still get conducted, my wife will still go to the grocery store and get our TP, toothpaste, coffee, milk, soap, and everything else...we will still pay our Verizon bill every month...all these companies make $ in good times and bad...sure, consumer discretionary items like jewelry and cruise lines may slow down now and again, but owning a broad swath of the american economy through the S & P 500 or the Wilshire 5000 has ONLY been a losing bet if YOU HAVEN'T DONE IT!!!!! Go back 20, 50, 70 years...it's impressive....I don't know what will happen next week or next year, but I am pretty sure over the next decade stockholders will be making $....probably even sooner...I am an advocate of dollar cost averaging, especially for the average joe...I've been working my current job for 31 years, I contribute to the 401k, have as long as I've been eligible..just takes some time, pretty easy to accumulate serious wealth...also, I am a financial advisor, have been for 32 years come May....I'm big into asset-allocation, diversification, financial planning, etc...not shooting for the moon as far as returns are concerned...mid single digits is all I am after at this point...I hunted well over 50 days last fall in the Dakota's and Montana...that is what matters to me...my portfolio is 50/50, I can sleep through anything and not think about my $ while traipsing over the prairies following my labs and carrying my double guns...that is what matters!!!!:cool:

1. Any one who shoots a Benelli can't be all bad.
2. We are no longer living in yesterday's reality, when rising tides floated all boats. Lots of rising prices right now, but few with rising tides underneath them.

IMHO you place yourself at major risk if you attempt to correlate today's stock prices with actual economic values. They are about 9/10ths driven by political windys (I mean "winds", I guess).

P/E ratios still matter; friends don't let friends dollar cost average in 2021.

What is that they say about "past performance is no indicator...."? They aren't kidding.

In the end, Adam Smith will always prevail. The only question is how much damage will be done in the interim.

OK, what do you do with your $? right now...how is it invested/deployed? Just curious. Also, how old are you? I'm about to turn 55...been through bear markets...more to come, for sure. When? Don't know...don't really care. Anyone I advise who retires has 3 years of cash/short term bonds/cd's to ride out any downturn...I am not into crypto currency (don't understand it)...modestly into precious metals, but not for much of a portfolio..under 10%...so again, where specifically do you put your $? I'm about 50% equities and 50% guaranteed income contracts (similar to CD's, available through my retirement plans). If a person has $, it's gotta go somewhere...checking and savings accounts, cd's, various types of bonds, precious metals, crypto, equities, real estate, direct ownership of businesses...gotta go somewhere. I haven't read this thread from start to finish, have looked at pieces of it here and there. For the average joe, who goes to work and participates in the 401k if he/she's lucky enough to have access to one, that in and of itself is dollar cost averaging...over many years, many decades..I have great confidence that that will work well for those who participate over the next several decades...lots of things will change, yes...but owning shares of well run companies through mutual funds via the 401k is a great way to go...enroll, save as much as one can, go live your life....before you know it you've got 7 figures in the account...and frankly, those kinds of #'s are needed to retire...all situations are different, needs are different, but that's the general reality nowadays...blinding flash of the obvious, I realize.

Last edited:
there is no doubt that the Fed has tremendous influence regarding liquidity and their policies have great influence over all markets...they finished their last tightening in latter 2018, and the market sold off 20% in the 4th quarter of that year...created a buying opportunity, IMO...bottomed on 12/24/18, if I recall correctly...I believe that the private sector will continue to provide the goods and services that we consume, and investors who own the private sector will receive returns that vary a great deal...nothing new...always been that way...could easily happen that returns go flat or decrease for extended periods of time...nothing new. Dividends will still get paid. I can cash and spend those checks. I plan very conservatively, and advise others to as well. Just my .02.

I've been retired for some time. My annual income is multiples of anything I ever thought I could earn in year, from a balanced variety of sources.

Productive hard assets are always a good alternative. Dwindling value cash equivalents where good business values aren't immediately available - that's what let me take advantage of massive buy alternatives when commodity prices bottomed out.

Capital gain tax increases are not unlikely to become a major market factor sooner, not later. Great Depression began with, I think, about a 20% drop in stock prices in a single day. That may be looking pretty good before we ring in 2022! Hope I'm wrong - maybe you CAN tax and spend your way to prosperity, while suppressing the most economically viable forms of energy production.

I never bought the "you have to vote for us because you have no other real choice" - same on "investments".

Back