No hunting for one year?

dogbo2013

Like everyone else I am eagerly awaiting the roadside survey. Although I have loved making the trip to SD the past 5 years, I have not decided if I will drive out this year regardless of the results. However, I have often wondered what the bird population would do if the state closed the pheasant season for one year. What's your opinion?

Like everyone else I am eagerly awaiting the roadside survey. Although I have loved making the trip to SD the past 5 years, I have not decided if I will drive out this year regardless of the results. However, I have often wondered what the bird population would do if the state closed the pheasant season for one year. What's your opinion?

this has been discussed many times..........overall it would have little or no effect on long term populations......we don't shoot hens and the key to re populations is the habitat and weather......there are always enough roosters to sustain breeding success.

In some ways it could have a detrimental effect. If you carry over too many roosters it can negatively effect hens. In bad weather the roosters will take the best cover and force the hens out into thinner cover thus potentially causing an increase in hen mortality. Like hunter 94 said, we don't shoot hens. As long as there is one rooster for about every 10 hens they will be fine. Weather and habitat play the biggest role in the number of birds.

Last edited:
do anything that encourages landowners to keep, or create, habitat...go to a pay to hunt operation even a day or two on an otherwise public land-only hunt...and I'm not talking about a highfalutin preserve...find a landowner to takes a liking to wildlife and let him know you appreciate what he has done...tell him if you could hunt his ground for a day you'd like to make a contribution towards his real estate taxes or his habitat, which you understand takes $ out of his pocket by not being able to farm it...do this after Thanksgiving, by then the firearms deer season is over and relatives have gone home...you may make a friend...if he turns you down, still thank him for the habitat he has created and maintained...it is important regardless.

do anything that encourages landowners to keep, or create, habitat...go to a pay to hunt operation even a day or two on an otherwise public land-only hunt...and I'm not talking about a highfalutin preserve...find a landowner to takes a liking to wildlife and let him know you appreciate what he has done...tell him if you could hunt his ground for a day you'd like to make a contribution towards his real estate taxes or his habitat, which you understand takes $ out of his pocket by not being able to farm it...do this after Thanksgiving, by then the firearms deer season is over and relatives have gone home...you may make a friend...if he turns you down, still thank him for the habitat he has created and maintained...it is important regardless.

really good advice!

This is really good advice!

Can’t imagine telling my dog that we are taking a year off. She’s gonna be seven and I’m gonna be 62. I’m gonna hunt the good years and the lean years until we can’t. I owe it to her. Heading to the Canadian border first week of October.

What would be a fair price to offer to pay for one or two hunters with dogs. Have never paid to hunt before. Thanks

What would be a fair price to offer to pay for one or two hunters with dogs. Have never paid to hunt before. Thanks

Early in the season on good private land would be $150 to $200 a day. Mid season will be a little less and late season it is open to negotiation.

our group has been offering a steak dinner vs outright payment for years...be surprised at how many folks appreciate that and take us up on it. We do go later season which probably has something to do with it. You get to know them, they get to know you, and it really helps build a relationship that's extended well past hunting rights in some cases. Then we'll all chip in and drop a box in the mail once with something unique (if they farm with CASE equipment we might ship a CASE IH hoodie or something similar) as a thank you. Does take a bit more effort / time but it's worked for us.

Yep I like this idea! I also like to send a little package at Christmas. Something the UPS man delivers that says thanks for the opportunity and shows you think about them other than only in the fall when you want something from them. It goes miles towards getting access in the future plus I meet some really neat people that become my friends.

Folks have hunted our farm for over 40 years, deer, pheasants and waterfowl of all kinds. Only thing I’ve ever been offered was some dead birds.

Why do I think they did that so they could go hunt some more ?

You folks must be the exceptional.

We too have started to find that offering things is better than cash... We now return to the same 3-4 spots each year. But one guy in our group raises lamb, so one farmer gets a lamb. Another gets some moonshine and a gift card to local restaurant. Another has a wife with a small country store, so we make sure to buy a lot of their homemade items that turn into Christmas gifts for our family members. Other small chores like checking their cattle gates, making sure water isn't frozen, giving an extra hand here or there, seems to always help a ways.

Back