Your Favorite Hunting/Outdoors Books

Freebyrd17

So of all the various things discussed on this site, I've yet to see any threads around books. I'll admit it, when not working, hunting, or reading this site :thumbsup:, I do love to read a good book. It probably all started with "Big Red" and Jim Kjelgaard's other books. Throw in some Jack London and "My Side of the Mountain" by Jean Craighead George, and as a kid I was hooked on stories about hunting and the outdoors.

So what are your favorite hunting or outdoors books? Whether they be how-to's, short story collections, or novels. The winter is here and that leaves a lot of dark hours for reading.

I was given a copy of "A Sand County Almanac" by Aldo Leopold in high school for a team I was on. I never read it. In college, I was in a class and that was on the required books list, and we had to read it. I wish I had read it 3 years earlier.

Lets see:
Misery loves company
Duck gods must be crazy
Don't shoot over the decoys
Old duck stories by McQuarrie(sp?)

So of all the various things discussed on this site, I've yet to see any threads around books. I'll admit it, when not working, hunting, or reading this site :thumbsup:, I do love to read a good book. It probably all started with "Big Red" and Jim Kjelgaard's other books. Throw in some Jack London and "My Side of the Mountain" by Jean Craighead George, and as a kid I was hooked on stories about hunting and the outdoors.

So what are your favorite hunting or outdoors books? Whether they be how-to's, short story collections, or novels. The winter is here and that leaves a lot of dark hours for reading.

When I first read Big Red I begged my father till he bought me an Irish setter. Beutiful dog but not much of a hunter. Than I read Stormy by the same author. I begged my father for a Lab (had to be black). I have owned labs ever since, mostly black. Thank god I never read 101 dalmations.

Freebyrd Thank you
The mention of Big Red brought back some great memories. My father passed about a year ago. The day he died my BLM was sleeping on his bed at the nursing home.

Try Randy Wayne White novels or William Kent Krugar. Neither are outdoorsie but at least they entertaining.

When I first read Big Red I begged my father till he bought me an Irish setter. Beutiful dog but not much of a hunter. Than I read Stormy by the same author. I begged my father for a Lab (had to be black). I have owned labs ever since, mostly black. Thank god I never read 101 dalmations.

Freebyrd Thank you
The mention of Big Red brought back some great memories. My father passed about a year ago. The day he died my BLM was sleeping on his bed at the nursing home.

Try Randy Wayne White novels or William Kent Krugar. Neither are outdoorsie but at least they entertaining.

Who would have guessed that a guy named Gatzby would comment on a book thread? ;)

Honestly though, I'm sorry for your loss. I think I read 5 or 6 of his books as a kid, Stormy included. I wound up with a Big Red myself but instead of a Setter, he was a dark red Sungold Golden Retriever. It's been Swamp Collie's and good books for me ever since.

Humor: Gordon McQuarrie(sic) Stories of the Old duck Hunters, More Stories, etc. Charlie Dickey, Quail Hunting, anything by Nash Buckingham, Every Pheasant hunter should read Bob Bell's book on pheasant hunting. I am also partial to Joel Vance, from right here in Missouri.

i read books but i wont read books about hunting. I rather HUNT than to read about it. Although i have a subscription of Outdoors and GunDog Magazine.

Who would have guessed that a guy named Gatzby would comment on a book thread? ;)

Honestly though, I'm sorry for your loss. I think I read 5 or 6 of his books as a kid, Stormy included. I wound up with a Big Red myself but instead of a Setter, he was a dark red Sungold Golden Retriever. It's been Swamp Collie's and good books for me ever since.

About 10 years ago heading to Montana with a couple of buddies I popped in an audio book in the cassette player......it got stuck. We listened to the Great Gatzby over and over during that five day trip. I have been called Gatzby ever since. Heck my mom even calls me Gatzby. Even though the book is a great piece of literature I will NEVER EVER read or listen to it again:).

Where the red fern grows.I've read it more times than i care to admit!If you love dogs and hunting it doesn't get any better than this!

Where the red fern grows.I've read it more times than i care to admit!If you love dogs and hunting it doesn't get any better than this!

I really need to read it again! A tough ending for a kid but at the same time a valuable lesson to young dog lovers (and old for that matter) that all good things come to an end.

Long live Dan and Ann!

+1 for Where the red fern grows. Read it as a kid. Loved it. Found a used copy at a yard sale several yrs ago. Me and the momma read it to our kids, had them all crying, but they still love it. Also, anything by Gene Hill.

A couple of books by Charles Fergus... "A Rough Shooting Dog" and "A Hunter's Book of Days" are both pretty good reads.

i like to read in the crapper.

*forgot to add the picture of me sittin on the crapper*

readinginthecrapper.jpg

if you truely think thats me.. you need help.

Last edited:
Back