Wow...

It may have something to do with a Democratic President. While I agree with your assessment that its been going on before he took office, there's usually several events that fuel a surge in ammo/gun demand.

Democratic leadership is one of them. A mass shooting event is another. You can add civil unrest and a pandemic to that list now.
Nope it started back in the spring and summer with Covid. They emptied the shelves then. Not that it won't continue with Biden, but it has been going on since last year. I have been after 20 gauge pheasant loads since last September.

Nope it started back in the spring and summer with Covid. They emptied the shelves then. Not that it won't continue with Biden, but it has been going on since last year.
I agree. I'm not saying that the pandemic didn't have anything to do with it. It surely did. As did all the civil unrest over the summer. Clearly a Democratic President also plays a role too and history has shown that.

For the first time this year, in decades of hunting, I bought a case full case of shells when I found them on the rack at Cabelas. I saw low selection and empty shelves everywhere else I looked for my favorite load and figured ammo would be going into shortages like all the other items lately. I still have half of them leftover so I obviously bought double what I needed. It was more than I normally spend to go hunting but the price was pretty good to buy in bulk so I figured I could put up the extra money now, then I'd have them for hunting and save in the long run. If the price had been $5 more per box, I would have probably passed at buying that much and they would have stayed on the shelf for someone else.

So you do want to see prices rise with the demand and that will start tipping the scale away from buying due to uncertainty like I did. You might even get ammo companies to get more production online if they see long term sales volumes trending up and profit margins that make it worthwhile. As long as the government stops distorting the market with bans, threats, regulations and emergency powers shutdowns, the free markets will get back to the lowest price and the right supply amounts on the shelves.

I have purchased three cases of clay target loads over the past 4 months. Pricing has gone up 40% from last summer to this month.

I started buying case loads last summer on-line when my son and I started shooting several times a week. Just purchased a case this week and it was probably $2-3 per box more than local stores, where as saving money last summer ... plus having cases dropped off at your door step (priceless).

This most recent on-line dealer limited orders to 1 case per day. I bought one case ... should have bought one the next morning. They were sold out in about 36 hours.

I am sure I will get a few more cases between now and spring/summer.

Not going to run around stores everyday. By the way ... not everything is stocked over night. Some times mid-day which means at a MFF or other stores you need to visit several times a day ?? ... nope. If I am in there for another reason and get lucky ... I will buy.

Pandemic may at times impact the manufacturers ability to ramp up and line out at high rates.

Stores are depleted of everything ... not just self defense loads.

Some say all the new hunters, I say bull. They buy a box that will last them years. This is regular long time sportsman buying enough for a few seasons and then getting the hoarding bug in their head.

Actually scored 2 boxes of 12 gauge Prairie Storm 4s today. Other than a couple boxes trap loads, these were the only 12 gauge on the shelf...

For the first time this year, in decades of hunting, I bought a case full case of shells when I found them on the rack at Cabelas. I saw low selection and empty shelves everywhere else I looked for my favorite load and figured ammo would be going into shortages like all the other items lately. I still have half of them leftover so I obviously bought double what I needed. It was more than I normally spend to go hunting but the price was pretty good to buy in bulk so I figured I could put up the extra money now, then I'd have them for hunting and save in the long run. If the price had been $5 more per box, I would have probably passed at buying that much and they would have stayed on the shelf for someone else.

So you do want to see prices rise with the demand and that will start tipping the scale away from buying due to uncertainty like I did. You might even get ammo companies to get more production online if they see long term sales volumes trending up and profit margins that make it worthwhile. As long as the government stops distorting the market with bans, threats, regulations and emergency powers shutdowns, the free markets will get back to the lowest price and the right supply amounts on the shelves.
I never spend more than 12 dollars for shells. I see these guys on here spending 30 dollars for a box of shells That's outrageous!!

Cheaper Than Dirt is selling Federal Blue Box trap loads for $49.99 a box! That's the stuff that is normally around $5.00 a box anywhere. Hope everyone stocked up on ammo & components while you had the chance, this is going to be a rough 2-4 years...
A pandemic, the usual political panic after an admin change, hoarders and a whole lot of new gun owners is what's going on. I was in a Wal Mart today and they had 3 boxes of centerfire rifle cartridge--2 of .450 Bushmaster and 1 box of Federal Premium Sierra 168 grain Match --the .308 was $26.99; not a bad price in normal times, let alone now... and my rifle loves that ammo so I didn't hesitate to latch onto it. Hard to tell when I'll see more.
...and the shells you are buying better be non-toxic. That EO is coming sooner rather than later for all Federal lands. Oh, and one other thing. Internet sales of ammo --- bye, bye.

That EO is coming sooner rather than later for all Federal lands.
Here in Minnesota there is proposed legislation to ban the use of all lead fishing tackle of 2.5 inches in length or less. Evidently loons swim to the bottom, ingest lead sinkers/jigs/etc and die of lead poisoning. It has a July 2024 implementation date for users. They tried to push this through in 2018 and had the lead ammo ban attached to it on state land. It failed. They removed the lead ammo ban in this current proposal.

...and the shells you are buying better be non-toxic. That EO is coming sooner rather than later for all Federal lands. Oh, and one other thing. Internet sales of ammo --- bye, bye.

Boy, you sure seem like a nervouse wreck. Have you seen any proposed legislation to stop the interstate sale of ammunition over the internet ??

Federal WPAs require steel shot no matter what bird you are chasing ... Steel kills well and if you are so inclined by the higher cost non-tox shot.

Lead in rifle bullets are known to kill eagles feeding on carrion. Some reports are lead fragments reach human consumers ... all copper bullet cartridriges are available and some states are now mandating them.

The ice fishing industry has converted to tungsten.

I never spend more than 12 dollars for shells. I see these guys on here spending 30 dollars for a box of shells That's outrageous!!

Hope you are stockpiled. That price may be long gone at most places on hunting level shells. I suspect $15 a box will be the norm for low to mid-end come fall. Up 20% or more.

The prices on the clay loads are high right now because people are starting to shoot clay sports and many that do run through a case or two (or much more) a month.

Lead in rifle bullets are known to kill eagles feeding on carrion.
In 2018 when they tried to push the lead ammo ban here in MN, that was one of the reasons: eagles ingest lead when they feed on the carcass. The opposition then said that bald eagle population is as high as its been in decades. So it was dropped.

Even if there is a federal lead ban, you would still be able to use lead based ammo on private land. Steel sucks BTW

Yes, you do seem like a nervous wreck. Which suggests that you are paying attention to, and understand, what is unfolding before our eyes.

Never thought I'd see the day. Wish I hadn't.

Breitbart is too far right for me.

A move in that direction (banning internet sale of ammo) will surely result in the Dem's greatest fear. Flip the house, flip the senate. Happened with Obama for a variety of reasons. Can happen again.

That said, Obama had both the house and senate ... managed Obama care, but not much on gun control.

If the Dems pack the courts and end the Senate filabuster ... I may become concerned. Will see.

Breitbart is too far right for me.

A move in that direction (banning internet sale of ammo) will surely result in the Dem's greatest fear. Flip the house, flip the senate. Happened with Obama for a variety of reasons. Can happen again.

That said, Obama had both the house and senate ... managed Obama care, but not much on gun control.

If the Dems pack the courts and end the Senate filabuster ... I may become concerned. Will see.

You "may" become concerned AFTER the courts are packed and the filibuster is nuked? Too late to recover then. For all of us.

Breitbart has its own lean, but compared with MSNBC, CNN, NBC, and Fox for crying out loud - their reporting is consistently far more factual. Not a new thing; I've been in a position to see the "news" going in on the raw end vice what comes out the back end. I have chosen my primary news source accordingly. Larry Kudlow on FBN is another straight shooter but I doubt you'd be interested in that, either. Watch a time or two, and find out (bet not!).

How many school shootings have occurred in terrorist-rich Israel in the past 10 years (none, I believe). And why might that be? Because an armed teacher will shoot you dead if you attempt to harm the kids. Its a pretty good plan.

I realize that some people have difficulty distinguishing memes that support their personal bias from reality.

Realize that Israeli teachers are not armed. That is a popular internet meme/myth.

I realize that some people have difficulty distinguishing memes that support their personal bias from reality.

Realize that Israeli teachers are not armed. That is a popular internet meme/myth.
Forest/trees. Speaking of personal bias - what point (or impression) are you really trying to make here?

Guns are EVERYWHERE in Israel - and they know how to use them. Virtually every teacher is a veteran - and there are guns in every school. Also, school has fences, gates, and ARMED security guards. This greatly increases the safety of the Israeli children.

You may deflect at will.

Back