Wind Turbines

V-John

Some of my very favorite spots that I've hunted for years have been leased out to turbines and such. I know that they are a huge resource for energy, blah blah blah. But, personally, my energy bill hasn't gone down, and yet I'm seeing more of them.

Don't they have a negative impact on prairie chickens and such? Is anyone else noticing, or losing spots to the increased number of these? Is anyone seeing a benefit to them?

I wonder the same thing. I see there are a bunch going in northwest of Dodge....:mad::confused:

Greg

Lots of wind farms around here, too. Folks on the west side of the state are all for them, they just don't want them in their backyard. I assume these take a toll on migratory birds & raptors & with some wind farms comes restricted land access. I can't see an arguement that supports turbines helping wildlife, except for creating more no-hunting areas/safe zones possibly, but since they are on wind-swept ridgelines, food & cover are both at a premium. Elk don't seem to be afraid of them . . .
IMG_5121.jpg

IMG_5124.jpg

Always good to get the government involved in something that the private sector should be handling. There has never been one that legitimately operated in the black, but they keep putting more up.

Always good to get the government involved in something that the private sector should be handling. There has never been one that legitimately operated in the black, but they keep putting more up.

Amen to that! It is hard to operate in the black when your max efficiency is 30%. They will never be a stand alone energy source.

Rut

...and half of them are running only half the time. V-John, I read a governmental analysis somewhere regarding the effects of turbines on PC populations and I think they left it at undetermined.

The Investments in windmills is primarily being done by FORIEN countries. We have a 300+ windmill farm just North of my house in the slickhills. I was shocked when I found out that Portugal was a major investor.

Additional turbines being added at Spearville, this time south of town.

The Investments in windmills is primarily being done by FORIEN countries. We have a 300+ windmill farm just North of my house in the slickhills. I was shocked when I found out that Portugal was a major investor.

it's bad enough that the Belgians own Budweiser.....and now this! :(

Additional turbines being added at Spearville, this time south of town.

Let’s see, our country is trying to reduce our dependency on Foreign Oil. So we allow Foreign investors to fund our Windmill Farms. So lets see, in the long run, we still will be dependant on Foreign energy.

Let’s see, our country is trying to reduce our dependency on Foreign Oil. So we allow Foreign investors to fund our Windmill Farms. So lets see, in the long run, we still will be dependant on Foreign energy.

No its really a better deal than half a Billion on a solar company that goes out of business :rolleyes:

Maynard,

Those windmills South of town should be some of T Bone Pickens 667 windmills that he ordered from GE in 2008. Originally Planned for Panhandle and he decided to stop the project in 2009.

No its really a better deal than half a Billion on a solar company that goes out of business :rolleyes:

A friend of mine has 8 of these Foreign windmills on his property. Gets a pretty healthy check in the mail each month. Drives all new trucks and tractors.

A friend of mine has 8 of these Foreign windmills on his property. Gets a pretty healthy check in the mail each month. Drives all new trucks and tractors.

And if they pull the plug on the operation who foots the clean-up bill? The last offer I saw for some in Smith County required the land owner to pay for the removal of all concrete on their own as well as any restoration.

Rut

i suppose the Arabs own these too? :eek:

And if they pull the plug on the operation who foots the clean-up bill? The last offer I saw for some in Smith County required the land owner to pay for the removal of all concrete on their own as well as any restoration.

Rut

More than likely you as an american taxpayer will foot the bill.

If you are putting one on your property, you had better make sure you read the fine print, it will more than likely come out of your pocket!

Rut

Maynard,

Those windmills South of town should be some of T Bone Pickens 667 windmills that he ordered from GE in 2008. Originally Planned for Panhandle and he decided to stop the project in 2009.

Funny you mention T Boone. He keeps promoting 'his' natural gas, so I have over the years written him that if he was interested in natural gas, I have a 'dry hole' drilled in 1968 with gas. He never answers. Then he puts me on his mailing list and I get these emails addressed to 'Army', to which I send a poison email back that I am not a private in his 'Army'. Of course, I never get any responses from T. Boone. He could at least send me a form letter like Sam Brownback does. ;)

Back