Where to hunt pheasants and quail in Kansas 2016

This time of year the Kansas forum starts to get really active with people wanting to know where to hunt birds. Posts with a title like this one can easily get over a thousand views from non members to the site. I want to be helpful to all of you looking for that information.

1.) Join the forum and contribute to the conversation here. Once you have been around the site awhile and have developed relationships with guys on here, you may well get invited to hunt with some guys on good land. Guys are much more likely to send you a PM to answer a "help me plan my hunt" question if you have been active on the forum.

2.) If you join the forum and have successful hunts, share them with all of us. We really enjoy seeing each other be successful and hearing stories of how your puppy is coming along etc. DO NOT give specific locations of where you hunt. That can really pi$$ off people. You would be amazed at how 1 post like "got my limit today at Sand Hills State park" can affect the hunting pressure at that location.

3.) If you do not want to put the time and effort into Ultimate pheasant hunting forum that's fine. It's not for everyone. Then here is what I suggest:

KDWPT Forecast - The state does spend a lot of time and resources on this report. The report is not going to tell you exactly where to go but there is some very useful information in it.
http://ksoutdoors.com/Hunting/Upland-Birds/Upland-Bird-Forecast

WIHA - Kansas has a great system of public hunting on private grounds. Here is a link to the maps. You can use google earth to scout from your couch. I have shot plenty of birds on these lands.
http://ksoutdoors.com/KDWPT-Info/Loc...-Hunting-Atlas

Corp of Engineers land - most of the reservoirs in the state have public hunting around them. Maps can be found on the Corp website.

I hope that info is useful. If any other members have other suggestions please feel free to share them.

This is an update to last years similar post.

Post of the year. Remind me to drop you off a cold beverage on my way out to my hunting grounds opening weekend for that post.

There probably needs to be 1 post a day to bring this to the top until 1-31-2017 unless someone could "Sticky" the post to the top of the forum until then.

:10sign:

My best pheasant hunting ground is typically within about 30 mins of the turnpike.

Agreed. I regret years ago giving general locations I was at. Finally realized I was hurting my success. But take it to PM's with some guys on here, and we've exchanged to the foot of where and how to hunt certain fields.

Agreed. I regret years ago giving general locations I was at. Finally realized I was hurting my success. But take it to PM's with some guys on here, and we've exchanged to the foot of where and how to hunt certain fields.

That's what its about. Ive met a couple guys in person on here. Hope to hunt with a couple guys this year. Make for better conversation later on.

I don't know about you, but based on this thread, I'm heading to Sand Hills State Park!

LOL

I agree PM is way better than a post here, but honestly I'd need to feel pretty good about a person before I'd cough up too much information. I've been burned by folks I know, who agreed not to spread the word. It's not always malicious -- some folks forget, and some just can't keep a secret.

I prefer the "Champagne of Beers"

You got it sir. It is right on my way out in that one direction that i may or may not be going to opening weekend. We are headed out the wednesday before opening weekend to get our camping spot for the weekend and we pass right through kitty town on the way out there so i will drop it off lol

Good post and excellent facts stated. This is why I don't post much in the Utah forum. Pheasant Hunting is extremely tough here and it gets irritating having people walking roads as I'm hunting a field just to try and get a bird. The stories go on and on. I found this summer someone turned someone else's livestock loose in a field I leased, over jealousy I would guess. The ground will be useless for years.

Back