Where to hunt pheasants and quail in Kansas 2016

Jake are still hunting that one spot 10 miles north 8 miles south 3 miles west and 900 miles east of that other spot over there?

For those who would like to have a map on their phone with all of the WIHA areas noted, including satellite imagery, check out the Powderhook app. You can download it from the app store.

You can click on the map button and the layers option lets you see Public Lands, which includes the WIHA areas. You can click on one of the WIHA areas and get directions from your current location.

The app is designed to be an outdoors help desk. If you are interested in being a Digital Mentor, we would welcome your assistance!

http://powderhook.com

Mike C.

Disclaimer: Pass It On - Outdoor Mentors partnered with Powderhook on the development of this app. Cabela's Outdoor Fund provided substantial funding for the development. We targeted the app for the newbie who is looking for information.

Great post Jake-2 and already part of my research as I start to plan my return trip to Kansas. Please save a few birds for Big Parker and Little Brady.

I got really worried when I saw this post title....lol it's taken me many years to build up my hunting spots in Kansas....and also along the way I've met some great friends that I have the pleasure of hunting with out there also....doing the homework and expending boot leather is half the fun of finding the birds...and the people ya meet too.....

I hunt a lot of different states. Some may be years before I go back but I keep all of what I find to myself. I have a couple of friends that go with me and know how I am about where I go. It takes a of time researching,making contacts, and especially boot leather. If anyone asks where I went I just tell them Arkansas. Stuttgart needs the Business. I don't ask people on web sites for leads where to hunt and cringe when someone even mentions areas close to where I have hunted. I have been hunting in Kansas but not in a couple of years but try to continue to do research and keep up with my contacts out there. Good luck this season and Mum's the word.

For those who would like to have a map on their phone with all of the WIHA areas noted, including satellite imagery, check out the Powderhook app. You can download it from the app store.

You can click on the map button and the layers option lets you see Public Lands, which includes the WIHA areas. You can click on one of the WIHA areas and get directions from your current location.

The app is designed to be an outdoors help desk. If you are interested in being a Digital Mentor, we would welcome your assistance!

http://powderhook.com

Mike C.

Disclaimer: Pass It On - Outdoor Mentors partnered with Powderhook on the development of this app. Cabela's Outdoor Fund provided substantial funding for the development. We targeted the app for the newbie who is looking for information.

I doubt I will use the "chatter" feature but the public access map is a great idea.

I hunt a lot of different states. Some may be years before I go back but I keep all of what I find to myself. I have a couple of friends that go with me and know how I am about where I go. It takes a of time researching,making contacts, and especially boot leather. If anyone asks where I went I just tell them Arkansas. Stuttgart needs the Business. I don't ask people on web sites for leads where to hunt and cringe when someone even mentions areas close to where I have hunted. I have been hunting in Kansas but not in a couple of years but try to continue to do research and keep up with my contacts out there. Good luck this season and Mum's the word.

Totally agree. Do the research and do the work. No short cuts.

I got really worried when I saw this post title....lol it's taken me many years to build up my hunting spots in Kansas....and also along the way I've met some great friends that I have the pleasure of hunting with out there also....doing the homework and expending boot leather is half the fun of finding the birds...and the people ya meet too.....
I talked to several farmers this weekend, and since I don't hunt this area, I will throw it out there. They said they were seeing quite a few pheasants, way more than than the last few years, and lots and lots of quail. So, if you know any private landowners in or around Hesston, you might want to go take a look, and maybe ask one or two if they could leave a nice little swatch of milo. Most of them had said they had cut all of their corn and that they had started drilling wheat. The CRP I saw was really high and thick.

Going on a thread and posting a town name will draw the ire of many folks on here.
Not my intent at all, just reporting that the farmers had been seeing more birds and they were all to glad to report that pheasant numbers have improved. Hopefully, that is true across most of the range.

In all honesty it would probably be best to leave a town out of it. Nothing wrong with saying farmers are seeing more birds, but when you put the name of a town on it people will feel like you are giving out their areas which is completely understandable on their part. There are a lot of vultures that just read post to try to get info instead of getting info themselves or participating in the forum. There are some people that would rather sell their house than give out their honey holes.

Not cool.

One problem I have with this, is Hesston's close proximity to Wichita and the horrors of the unethical hunters from Sedgwick County. I'm not saying all hunters from Wichita are bad as I've hunted with some really good guys from Sedgwick County. But, when they are bad, they're the type which gives good folks a bad name.

I can't tell you the number of times I've had landowners turn me away because someone from Sedgwick County went through a field without permission, ruining it for everyone else. Unfortunately, there's a "well there's not a No Hunting sign up, must mean I can hunt it," mentality with the bad/moral-less/unethical turds.

Not cool.

I can't tell you the number of times I've had landowners turn me away because someone from Sedgwick County went through a field without permission, ruining it for everyone else. Unfortunately, there's a "well there's not a No Hunting sign up, must mean I can hunt it," mentality with the bad/moral-less/unethical turds.

This is incredibly frustrating. I've been scouting land the past few weekends with my little cousin and have been asking landowners for permission. I have been told several times that they no longer let anyone hunt after they had an experience like that.

There has been a lot of good comments about this subject. To be perfectly honest with you guys I follow quite a few forums and are a member of a few. The reason at first I began to follow sites is because I was looking to hunt duck or upland game in particular states. It didn't matter what forum, at some point someone would want to brag about there conquest and that was all I needed. I would use this info to begin research. I might not be able to hunt right where they did but it go me a lot closer than driving 1000 miles and just pick a spot and start hunting. I want go into my ways to find places to hunt but it works. I still have to do the leg work and with boots on the ground. Anyway That's why you don't say where you saw anything or where you hunted and had success. If you feel the need to brag pm a truly trusted friend or something don't go tell the world on here. Where I live there is very little waterfowl or upland birds. I tell no one where I hunt. Crap I don't even tell my son spots I find locally. I have yet to take him to out of state spots. He is 21 and still likes to blab on web sites about different things so I don't consider him trustworthy yet. I do take him hunting when he can go and I have a duck lease out of state I let him hunt as much as he cares. He knows I will not take him around home to places if he tells someone where we went. Any way keep it fun but keep it top secret. If not don't be surprised when someone is hunting your spots next time you go hunting. Good luck. Hope to see some of you out there this year. ( if you ask if I'm having any luck I'm going to tell you none at all even if I have a limit in my bag)

Back