Where is your top destination for pheasants in the 2017 hunting season?

Golden Triangle

What is the "golden triangle"? I see the term used but don't know
what area it refers to. Is it like the Bermuda Triangle, where you go and are never heard from again?

There are parts of their range where pheasants are way down. I did a non scientific crow and population survey this weekend, while visiting friends and relatives. I saw a ton of ducks in the standing water, and the rivers ran with gold. Some pics of the upsides of a hard winter. I will hunt hard somewhere this fall, it is good to be an upland hunter recently, 4 years ago it seemed like the end, be thankful for what you have. :)

Last edited:
I am going to Northwestern Kansas a few times next fall. This will be my first out of state pheasant hunting trip. I am looking forward to it!

It really varies year to year. Some years if it is late harvest, early season hunts can be tough with all the birds in the crops still. Some years if winter arrives early, there could be too much snow cover to hunt a lot of ground in the late season. Late season the birds may be bunch up more, you have the potential to see large flushes. They are also spooky and could flush before you get in range.

If you've never hunted late season, give it a try once. I definitely prefer late season over early season, with mid november to early december probably being my favorite time.

I ran into trouble on both ends last year in ND. Early season the sunflowers were still standing and after Christmas the snow was so bad, I couldn't get around. It was still fun though and I will be back this year if at all possible. Had to put my dog down a month ago so I will be spreading her ashes in some of our favorite hunting spots this fall.

Jerry

I am hoping to get after it this year. Opener in Montana, first trip to North Dakota in early November, back to Montana around thanksgiving and then a late season trip to Nebraska. Planning on having 2 dogs this fall getting another French Brittany in a couple weeks. Hope she is a hunter.

I'm going to requaint myself in ND, MT, and hopefully SD twice. Been seeing birds around so the epic snowfall didn't get them all.

There is a Comfort Inn in Hays, Ks, I think. Could be Salina. It's just down wind of a stock yard and smells like it. I saw a bunch of phez in the wheat fields around the motel. You could hunt there if you can stand the smell.

The dogs and I will hunt anywhere there's a chance of birds but the hospitality I've found in SD and MT put them at the top of the list.

I have an open invite at this farm in MT but was told not to come back without a deer and or elk tag next time.:eek:

Then there's this little slice of heaven that some of you may know of in SD. :cheers:

Going to try MT for the first time. Also planning on hitting ND and KS late. As stated , thats assuming the record snowfalls didn't wipe em all out!!

Wow! after a quick scan of this enormous thread it seems 95% of you will be in SD this year. Our group of five has hit public land in the Eureka/Bowdle area for the last six years. Did very well except our first trip in 2013. December was good. We're switching it up and heading to Hettinger ND this year for a week. Sounds like the whole area is pretty busy with hunters but I'm glad to at least be scratching it off the bucket list. Maybe Montana next year. Then the usual spots in Western MN. I got a new British Lab this Spring that I'm pretty stoked about.

I am getting old and feeble and my dog is getting up there in years, so I will stay at home and take a few pheasant and quail at the Ponderosa after deer season is over.

Back