Where is your top destination for pheasants in the 2017 hunting season?

David0311

I spent a couple weeks last year hunting around and staying in Lebanon. The town owns the bar there and they have the first in ground city pool in the state. I will camp there for$18 a nite this fall. The folks there are the best you'll ever meet. The history of the town is over the top interesting. I'll work north from there, after stopping in at the Orient bar for a couple. It 's a special area, not so much for hunting, but for people.

Like that town as well--do you do the testicular spectacular as well:)

Did they change the name of the Long Branch?

Spent quite a bit of time there Leland Penrod was still alive--

May swing through there some day this fall--schedule very fluid--:cheers:

Lebanon

Like that town as well--do you do the testicular spectacular as well:)

Did they change the name of the Long Branch?

Spent quite a bit of time there Leland Penrod was still alive--

May swing through there some day this fall--schedule very fluid--:cheers:

Still the Long Branch. I gotta be careful cuz it's easy to hang out there and not hunt.ha I was there for a season in oct and nov. They have a raffle get together right before thanksgiving that should not be missed. Lots of fun. I won a turkey and a pheasant print blanket last year. Not sure on the testicular spectacular but ill find out. Back in the day the town was really hoppin' i'll look for you this fall. I shot a few birds on public around there but i had to work. My dog wants to go back and hit a few more spots so we will be back through a couple times this fall. My cargo trailer will be over in the park by the pool if you come through.

David0311

Forgot to mention Dakota Zeb also hunts that area--in fact on land that abuts the private I hunt--
May work out a get together:rolleyes::rolleyes:

One trip to South Dakota the 2nd weekend of November. Base camp will be in Chamberlain for this trip, but the hunting will all be within about 90 miles of all directions from Chamberlain. Leave home early Thursday morning, hunt Thursday and Friday on private that we are lucky to access, hunt Saturday on Public, head home on Sunday in time to watch Vikings.

2nd trip to South Dakota the 2nd weekend of December. An old college buddies family owns a hunting lodge in the golden triangle, a group of about 10 of us get to hunt it each year after they are done with their paid hunters for the season. Most people come out Friday night and just hunt Saturday. Some of us also hunt Friday/Sunday. I would like to add Wednesday to it this year as well, hunt Wednesday - Sunday.

With a young family, my 2 weekends away is about all I can get the wife to let me take. I would like to take a weekend trip to SW MN, but I doubt that'll happen. I hope to get out once or twice a week for 30-90 minute hunts close to home as much as possible for the rest of the season, which is usually doable.

Someday I would like to take a trip to Montana. There's something about the pictures I see of a pheasant with a mountain in the background.

Given that I cant get too much time off work, I'll probably be staying in California for hunting this year. I'm actually becoming more and more surprised by the amount of "secret" hunters there are out here. No one really talks about it (unless you know your in hunter company), but I feel like everyone does it haha. None the less, I hate hunting where I work because I want to experience something different than what I know an see everyday at work and oddly enough, I've found that SoCal actually has some pretty awesome places :)

Will be hunting opening weekend near home, here in NE Montana, hosting current and former combat veterans for the second year in a row, with a organization similar to wounded warriors. Thanks to the generosity of local farmers and ranchers and folks in the area, last years hunt started small, but was a great time, and organization wishes to bring a few more people this fall for hunt, it is an honor hosting such fine men and women.

That is AWESOME! Thank you for helping out our veterans.

Huntmore Vizslas

Doves, ducks, deer, geese, squirrel at home here in Arkansas. I have said for last few years I would go to Minnesota for grouse/woodcock but I am a little intimidated by the large amount of land and a lack of knowledge on the birds. Late in the year we will be back in SD in an area NW of Mitchell hunting some private and public ground to finish out our license we bought late last year. One of the best parts of the hunt is the thinking and planning!

NW Kansas . . .

One trip to South Dakota the 2nd weekend of November. Base camp will be in Chamberlain for this trip, but the hunting will all be within about 90 miles of all directions from Chamberlain. Leave home early Thursday morning, hunt Thursday and Friday on private that we are lucky to access, hunt Saturday on Public, head home on Sunday in time to watch Vikings.

2nd trip to South Dakota the 2nd weekend of December. An old college buddies family owns a hunting lodge in the golden triangle, a group of about 10 of us get to hunt it each year after they are done with their paid hunters for the season. Most people come out Friday night and just hunt Saturday. Some of us also hunt Friday/Sunday. I would like to add Wednesday to it this year as well, hunt Wednesday - Sunday.

With a young family, my 2 weekends away is about all I can get the wife to let me take. I would like to take a weekend trip to SW MN, but I doubt that'll happen. I hope to get out once or twice a week for 30-90 minute hunts close to home as much as possible for the rest of the season, which is usually doable.

Someday I would like to take a trip to Montana. There's something about the pictures I see of a pheasant with a mountain in the background.

What is everyone's thoughts on the late season hunts compared to the early hunts? That is one of our options this year.

Thanks!

Late-season hunting

Where I hunt (eastern Colorado), I prefer hunting later in the season, as there are far-fewer hunters in the area. I still hunt every weekend of the season, but later is better, in my book.

Easy one---MY BACK YARD--well actually my back 30 acres :D

I can top that, I help manage 250,000 acres that I share with the citizens of Michigan and out of state grouse and woodcock hunters.....:rolleyes:

I will be heading back out to NW North Dakota with my 14 y.o. son and my mother and father in laws for the second week of the season.
Visited for a week last fall for the first time, and can't wait to be back walking the sloughs and fields.
Hunted almost all public, with one private in the mix. Late in the week we found a couple spots that looked good but we ran out of time to try them, so they will be hit this year.

What is everyone's thoughts on the late season hunts compared to the early hunts? That is one of our options this year.

Thanks!

It really varies year to year. Some years if it is late harvest, early season hunts can be tough with all the birds in the crops still. Some years if winter arrives early, there could be too much snow cover to hunt a lot of ground in the late season. Late season the birds may be bunch up more, you have the potential to see large flushes. They are also spooky and could flush before you get in range.

If you've never hunted late season, give it a try once. I definitely prefer late season over early season, with mid november to early december probably being my favorite time.

Usually far less pressure the later the season gets. That's a good thing.

Usually birds much more wary and prone to early flushes the later the season gets. That's not so much a good thing.

But...if you have a couple buddies and have a good grasp of tactics you can make that work for you. Figure out where they are like to come out and sneak in your blockers silently and early then start in at the other end of the field with the dogs. The blockers usually get the shooting but take turns as you go from field to field.

Back