What would you do?

Thoughts?

Well, calm down, it's over. The anger you are feeling is mostly likely a sense of betrayal by someone you trusted.

When you have stopped boiling about it, simmer down and drop him a note or email saying he stepped on your trust as a friend.
If you choose, add that you think differently about him, and will need some time--maybe a lot of time--before you have
much more to do with him.

Wish him well and good health.

Then drop it.

Best wishes.

(anger is a corrosive, don't let it eat at you.)

Good advice. Or how about just ghosting the guy - that will get the point across - or an email that only says, "Our friendship is over. So long."

I myself would probably just ghost him and if he tried to comm, do as the French do: non responder

I would not invite him again. That's a bunch of garbage.

And quite honestly, only YOU had permission to be there, not him. That's called trespassing.

Great advice already given. I think phone call vs. face-to-face comes down to whether or not this is a good friend or just a friend. He crossed a line that could get your permission revoked. He needs to own that. If he gets too bent out of shape over it, he’s not much of a friend.

Good points all around, I can't believe the guy did that. Trust is very big with me, if I can't trust you, so long. Doesn't sound like he was a very good buddy. I'd have a talk with him and see what he says. I agree that this probably isn't the first time he's done something like this. Sorry it happened to you. I hunt with 3 other guys and can't imagine any of them would do this, not sure what exactly I'd do if they did.

A friend told me about a guy he hunted with just once who began hunting while he was knocking on a door to ask permission. He was chatting with the owner when the other guy began shooting. "What the hell is that?!" the owner shouted. Permission denied.

Twice I've had guys go get permission after I took them there. :mad:
This is why I'm VERY careful about who I bring with when I'm hunting. Not just for pheasants, but also for spring turkeys. Many of these landowners are so nice and generous, I honestly think they would grant permission to just about anyone that asked. I've put in a lot of time over a long span of 20+ years to develop an area of private land I have permission to hunt every year and I'm not about to have it known by anyone other than a close friend or direct family member. Its like disclosing where you just caught a limit of keeper walleyes or slab crappies. Better off just not telling anyone where you caught them otherwise there will be 40 people out there in 2 days.

If this was just a hunting buddy, game over. If this is a close personal friend of the family, then the hunting aspect ends and you'll have to continue to be civil. Either way, it was premeditated, and could've been happening in the past also, or may continue in the future. He knows he was trespassing, and was going to name drop if questioned. Now, he no longer has the ability to name drop, but may continue to trespass.

Your feeling of betrayal is rightfully justified. Lots of solid advice here, most of it falls back on how good of a friend is this guy and how important is your waterfowl hunting with him?

I would write a letter to express my feelings. And then I'd rewrite that letter so it wasn't quite so callous and send it. Face to face meetings can be great, but I've found that they often favor the better speaker, rather than the one who has been hurt/slighted.

I have as great of connections to private land as I could have ever dreamed as a child. Having one of those locations threatened because a friend of mine decided to be greedy would piss me off to no end and no matter what else, I would express that to them. Best of luck on however you choose to move forward.

Initially, reading the OG post I felt a sense of betrayal on the author’s part. If I show a buddy even a public hunting/fishing spot and I catch him going w/o me he isn’t no friend of mine no more. After reading the post again I wonder if the scouter knew the whole no hunting situation or not?

Initially, reading the OG post I felt a sense of betrayal on the author’s part. If I show a buddy even a public hunting/fishing spot and I catch him going w/o me he isn’t no friend of mine no more. After reading the post again I wonder if the scouter knew the whole no hunting situation or not?
Yes he knows the rules. Landowner only allows other hunters if they are with me and he knew that and he knew I did not allow pheasant hunting

There is some good advise given here. Initially I was shocked that the guy admitted it and thought you wouldn't find out! Over the years I have gotten into a few situations where I didn't feel right hunting a particular spot never feels good and I usually just walk away from the land. It is no fun telling about shooting a limit of roosters on some land that you weren't supposed to hunt. I would probably at a minimum limit my conversations with this guy. Time has a way of calming my temper.

Back