What would you do?

I’ve been taking fairly long hunting trips for a few decades, and I am in need of hunting partners to make it worthwhile for the host farmer…I can’t be too selective and hold out for “perfect” hunting pals…if they can take the time, and spend the $, and have a dog or two, and they’re basically good guys, they’re able to
be considered, especially if another hunting pal vouches for them—safe with guns, not a daytime drinker, respectful of the other guys/landowners, etc, they’re likely to get an invite…haven’t had any major issues in 20+ years…minor issues, yes, but nothing too major. I’m not everyone’s cup of tea, either, and I realize that…it’s up
to each of us to decide who/what we can accept and live with. For me, gun safety is a must, daytime sobriety is a must, respect for others is a must, basic hunting ethics are preferred…work
hard at finding cripples, for example…help other guys find cripples…don’t be a game hog…treat dogs well…that kind of stuff. There are a few guys I’ve kicked out of my groups, not too many, but a few…other hunters let me know that they won’t go on the trip if joe blow is going, that kind of thing…only a few times in 20+’years. Been fortunate overall, really. But no way around it…we’re living with each other for 3,5, 7 days…it takes some compromising from all parties!

I've never specifically ONLY walked on a public road or rail road tracks to upland bird hunt. On occasion I walk on a gravel road to get to my spot, and then back to the truck out of necessity. If that was the type of hunting I did, I probably wouldn't bag very many roosters.

My dog got hurt back in mid November too so I missed a couple weeks of hunting. And then the last 2 weeks of December here were tough with all the snow. Not uncommon to have snow here in central MN, but to have this much is unusual. Hasn't happened since 2011.

I'm generally a bit jealous that SD allows hunting the entire month of January, but not this year.
I'm very jealous of January Hunting. I'd like to go to south Dakota in late January, but my dog can't handle deep snow yet.

I’ve been taking fairly long hunting trips for a few decades, and I am in need of hunting partners to make it worthwhile for the host farmer…I can’t be too selective and hold out for “perfect” hunting pals…if they can take the time, and spend the $, and have a dog or two, and they’re basically good guys, they’re able to
be considered, especially if another hunting pal vouches for them—safe with guns, not a daytime drinker, respectful of the other guys/landowners, etc, they’re likely to get an invite…haven’t had any major issues in 20+ years…minor issues, yes, but nothing too major. I’m not everyone’s cup of tea, either, and I realize that…it’s up
to each of us to decide who/what we can accept and live with. For me, gun safety is a must, daytime sobriety is a must, respect for others is a must, basic hunting ethics are preferred…work
hard at finding cripples, for example…help other guys find cripples…don’t be a game hog…treat dogs well…that kind of stuff. There are a few guys I’ve kicked out of my groups, not too many, but a few…other hunters let me know that they won’t go on the trip if joe blow is going, that kind of thing…only a few times in 20+’years. Been fortunate overall, really. But no way around it…we’re living with each other for 3,5, 7 days…it takes some compromising from all parties!
Hunting with cheap, unethical rubes is out! Drinking, smoking dope, playing grab ass, are not qualities I admire.

I'm very jealous of January Hunting.
I am too. I wish Minnesota would alter its season some. Obviously this year is not a typical season, but I think MN should start its season a week or two later and finish it a week or two later into January. Starting in mid October is stupid. Its way too hot and there's way too much standing corn. If it aligned more with Iowa's season that would make a lot more sense.

It’s amazing what you find out about some one you thought you knew after spending a week with them

It’s amazing what you find out about some one you thought you knew after spending a week with them
I've been teaching my nephews and my cousin to bird hunting. Two of my good bird hunting friends have died recently. People who are really cheap, want to hunt before 10 am, are unethical, don't treat dogs well, are always drunk,are not safe with guns,poach, road hunt, have 22s and pellet guns with them, brag, boast, are out.

So wait he admitted to hunting but only did it because he didn’t think you would find out? So obviously he knows he did something wrong. I personally would have a hard time trusting him. What else did he do that you don’t know about. It’s called lacking integrity. What do you do when nobody is watching.
You should give him an ex lax dose when he turns his back.

Back