What State

If you were given the power to make one state your own personal hunting area. What state would you choose? I'm thinking CO would be good, because there seems to be a little of everything to hunt there.

If I could have the whole state do do with what I choose I would stick with MN. But there would be alot more CRP type stuff. Man wouldn't that be nice. Ahhhhh the dreams floating in a head while we sleep.:thumbsup:

I'm thinkin MT or WY just because I like those two states. Then Texas or Louisana just because they are warm. Why does it have to just be one?

I have a success story to tell...

its right where im living right now.. South Dakota.

I dunno if anyone turkey hunt, i dont, but i was watching Sportsman's Channel and they rated South Dakota #1 place to hunt turkey as well as they mentioned Pheasant hunting and decent Deer hunting is pretty strong in South Dakota.

I have a success story to tell...

its right where im living right now.. South Dakota.

I dunno if anyone turkey hunt, i dont, but i was watching Sportsman's Channel and they rated South Dakota #1 place to hunt turkey as well as they mentioned Pheasant hunting and decent Deer hunting is pretty strong in South Dakota.

Don't forget the ducks/geese and the Wally's....

Don't forget the ducks/geese and the Wally's....

That too! thanks for reminding me!

I think Im sitting on a gold mine for hunting..

However, job pays do suck in South Dakota. But if you can get by and still be able to hunt, its the greatest experience...

I don't know if any other state offers the variety of game to hunt and also the quantity that we have in South Dakota. We have pheasants, sharptails, prairie chickens, Huns, sage grouse, turkeys, doves, ducks, geese, whitetails, mule deer, antelope, elk, big horn sheep, mountain goats, mountain lions, prairie dogs, fox and coyotes. Then there is the fishing. The Missouri River and the NE glacial lake area offer some of the finest fishing around.

I don't know if any other state offers the variety of game to hunt and also the quantity that we have in South Dakota. We have pheasants, sharptails, prairie chickens, Huns, sage grouse, turkeys, doves, ducks, geese, whitetails, mule deer, antelope, elk, big horn sheep, mountain goats, mountain lions, prairie dogs, fox and coyotes. Then there is the fishing. The Missouri River and the NE glacial lake area offer some of the finest fishing around.

youre forgetting Moose and buffalo.. im not even sure if they have a license to shoot any of those animals. but we have those here too.

We do not have a moose season in SD. Not even sure if we have any moose in the state other than an occasional stray from ND or MN. But you sure can shoot buffalo on private ranches.

You would be hard pressed to equal what we have available in any other state. Don't get me wrong, there are some great states out there for hunting and fishing and I've hunted and fished in several. But I don't know wehre I'd go to duplicate SD. Of course pay sucks and the winters suck, but other than that it's pretty darn good.

:DZeb You wont have to worry about pay if you own the whole state.
MN has all those animals you mentioned but the goat things and muley's antelope. But there is the bear, and Moose, along with the Elk and Buffalo. Also the Timber wolf to go with the fox and yotes.There are some mountain lions and ruffed grouse. North shore king salmon and steele head. Pluss Trees. and the lakes are the most prestine in the country north of willmar you can see your feet down 20' instead of 2". Trout are abondant, turkey hunting is great as well here. Plenty of waterfowl. Stick around White water in the summer and theres no mosquitos. And don't forget if you own it you can kick everyone out and it only gets better then.:thumbsup:
Dakotas after hunting them and being out there often even west of the river would be probably # 4 for me. CO or Idaho would be a close 2nd. But I can't think of where to get enough switch grass seed to plant in my 75 million acres. Guess I'll think about that one up in the Boundry waters pulling in eyes every cast watching Bald Eagles and singing some Toby Kieth.
:cheers:

well we did have a Moose running around Pierre area.. and was just spotted last saturday here.. When I was working on a Reservation down south, It was often I see Elks.. I have never seen a Moose in person though. So far two people have reported of seeing this Moose.. im curious to find his antlers lying around some where on LaFramboise Island.

here it is posted in Rapid City Journal and was reported on 1230 radio in Pierre, sd.

http://www.rapidcityjournal.com/app/blogs/outdoors/?p=2603

I like your new avatar:thumbsup:
Some people here suposedly seen a black cougar here too, I guess there is some photos at the bait shop. Sounds like anothe Big foot story. If I owned the State I would eradicate them anyway.:thumbsup:

Like birdman w/ all the numbers said, I live in the state I would choose. I'm not into big game hunting, only upland, turkey, waterfowl, and some fishing. SD just doesn't have 100# blue cats and flat heads like KS does. We also have some pretty big largemouth and we have some wallys in a few places. Crappie fishing is great and there are channel cats everywhere. Besides that, I like the diversity KS has to offer. We experience winters, but not like SD. We have summer, but not like TX or AZ. I enjoy the occasional tornado and the almost annual hail and ice storms. Most winters bring just enough snow to play in, but not so much that you get sick of it (this winter was an exception). I don't like climbing hills so much when I'm bird hunting and much of our state is relatively flat. If I wanted to see hills, I could head to the Smoky Hills or better yet, the Flint Hills.

KB, good point. I always forget about catfish. They are a blast arent they. We have some huge ones here too. Not likely a 100 pounder but My biggest landed is 32 but many have peeled off my 50Lb test. 50lb is more likely here.:thumbsup: What a wrestling match. We don't have Blues I don't think, but some big flats and channels. I need to go do that again, what a great time on the bank with a bon fire after dark. I work with a guy from KS and he told me stories of the trot lines down there, which we cant do. Or jug lines.

:cheers:

FC, you forget that I'm an ol' Minnesota boy myself so I'll always have a soft spot for the Gopher State. I've also spent a lot of time in ND, CO and WY. All great states with a lot to offer.

And SD doesn't have one thing that MN has, a STATE INCOME TAX! :D

Hey, like I said if you own it forget about all that stuff and wory about what to do for the day.:D:10sign:
Another good point too George, yes we do have Gophers,several breeds, so top that for big game.:) Ever gone sqweekin and fishing for gophers?:thumbsup:

Use to drown out a lot of gophers. Place a small trap upside down over their hole and then pour water down the hole until they had to come up. They would then hit the trigger of the trap and WHAM, you'd have a dead gopher by the neck. Those were some fun days as a kid.

well i thought about this for about a year. and finally made my move. it would have to be north dakota. nothing better for me and my family. living one mile from the lake and see hundreds of pheasant every morning i wake up. couldnt ask for anything more. north dakota is the place to be

Back