What gauge do you use most for pheasants?

What Gauge Do You Use Most for Pheasants

• 12 Gauge

Votes: 42 51.9%
  • 16 Gauge

Votes: 16 19.8%
  • 20 Gauge

Votes: 22 27.2%
  • 28 Gauge

Votes: 1 1.2%

• Total voters
Right now I have a Benelli Ultralite 12 gauge 24" bbl but am working on a deal for a Citori Feather Lightning 16 gauge. Never owned a 16 yet so am kind of curious. Whats you go to gauge?

12 gauge only.

28ga for the first week or two but switch to my 20ga after that which would be most of the season.

Last few years its been a 16. Shot my A-5 Light 12 for decades then one day picked up a Sweet 16. It was about a pound lighter and shot the same. Never looked back. Since I added the 16 ga Sterlingworth, my 12's have been really gathering dust.

the last two years I have used the twenty almost exclusively. however, I recently purchased a 16 wingmaster with a lightweight plain barrel from the sixties. so my vote might change by this time next year.

20 then 28, depending on conditions.

I added a Poll to this thread. Hope that is okay with you terrym?

For me it's the 16 gauge.

You guys got me looking at those sweet 16's now. I have an old A-5 and a browning silver that I shoot well, but they are much heavier than my Bennelli. I just need to figure out a way to get it, then sneak it into the house:D

You guys got me looking at those sweet 16's now. I have an old A-5 and a browning silver that I shoot well, but they are much heavier than my Bennelli. I just need to figure out a way to get it, then sneak it into the house:D

You won't regret it because they are so SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!

The majority of the time I go with a 20, my AL390 in 20 used to be the first gun out of the safe now I grab the 686 in 20. I'm going to pull a 12 out this weekend for the first time this year.

I'm still kicking myself for letting the best pheasant gun ever slip through my fingers. Fulton Hunter 16 gauge sxs. Got sucked in by the O/U hype and sold it. Now they're going for twice as much in half the condition....

Ah well. For now it's strictly 12s until I can no longer resist the siren's call of a a dedicated 20 gauge quail gun. :D I gotta stay outta the gun room at Bass Pro Shops...

12 gauge over under is what I currently use. I do want to take out a 20 gauge side by side I use to shoot clay pigeons with when I was younger. What size shot would you guys recommend for a 20. Take into account for the rest of the year they will be pen raised birds.

Back