What Brand Of Food Is Everyone Feeding?

Had been using PMI Exclusive but switched over to Black Gold a few months ago. Seems to be ok, but will be going back to PMI. Stool with black gold is runny and the dogs seem to be dehydrated. PMI and ProPlan are the best I've used but I'm going back to PMI (free 6th bag). My son feeds his kennels with Country Vet and loves it.

I have read some not so good things about Black Gold on another site. Here's what one person posted:

I used to feed Black Gold up intill a few years ago. It seams that they are allways changing ther rations. Some bags would almost leak oil out of them and then in a couple bags later the feed was so dry it was almost like gravel. They would also adjust the amount of grain in it depending on the price of commotidys at the time. Personally I will never go back to it and have switched all my dogs over to Purina.

Zeb
I should say last week I have changed to performance. Nutri Source is made in MN :thumbsup:

Purina One

I've always fed Purina One which every grocery store carries. It has 25% protein (plenty) and the chicken and rice formula is a combination of excellent nutrients for dogs according to what I have read. The dog loves it, hunts all day two days in a row, never gets sick, has tootsie roll stools, and his coat is perfect.

Nutro but am currently in the process of trying the Wellness Core :)eek:Ouch!!!!! very $$$$$$ though) due to some abdominal issues with one of our dogs.

I have a 43lb lab who burns through Euk which is getting very expensive. She's just one of those dogs that is hard to keep weight on. I tried a few bags of Native which she didnt digest very well. But then again, she wasnt digesting Euk very well either. It may be time to give it another shot. Not necessarily for the price, but because I need to get her on less quantities of food.

Dog Food

There are alot of not so good dog foods out there, but we have to feed what one can afford. Native offers a good dog food but the price is going up and up, diamond has come out with a good product now. do some homework on dog foods and i would bet that everyone might be making some changes if they were to check out some of these so called good dog foods.I HAVE NOT EVER seen to many dogs dive into a bowl of corn, check the labels and feed your dog a good product 30% protein and 20% fat.

Quote Tracker 2 Feathers
"I HAVE NOT EVER seen to many dogs dive into a bowl of corn"

You must not live on a farm or deal with live stock. They will eat corn. Hog feed is one of their favorites next to road apples from horses. Not that the grain is good for them. Also, with the poor conditions last fall and with the introduction of ethanol. There is more competition for quality corn then ever. Lots of moldy corn last year right on the stalk. Some Dog foods receive some of the poorest quality corn out there. No animal does well on a product with mold in it.

All our dogs have lived to be 10-13 plus years old. We have always fed a medium priced food. Affording dog food that costs more then the food we feed our own family just isn't happening.

Also, just because it cost the most it's the best, Isn't always true. Good exercise, a warm, dry environment and family attention goes a long way to a healthy life for your dog. Years of being in a outdoor kennel in the cold with not much family time...like it or not. IMO does shorten a dogs life.

For the one dog person/family. Ya, maybe you can afford to feed $40.00 a bag food(not me). In the end..it may make you feel better but I doubt you have extended the years in the field in most cases but not all. Most of the allergies and heath troubles associated with some of today's dogs can be traced back to the close line breeding of the show and field trial people. It has bred in weakness to the dogs immune system and over all health. That kind of breeding will effect the breed/dog for many generations, even if close breeding is no longer part of the program.

Here is a example in the wild. This isolated island provides a environment that shows what close breeding does

"Video http://kstp.com/article/stories/S1025936.shtml?cat=1

N. Minn. Researchers Find Arthritis Killing Wolves
Something is killing the wolves on Isle Royale in Lake Superior, and it could be a condition that many humans suffer from.

About 60 years ago, hungry wolves from Minnesota went looking for new territory and fresh meat across the 20 miles of ice and snow on the lake during a very cold winter.

They found an island teeming with moose that, until then, only had to fear men with guns.

"It's not just a world full of people, it's a world full of millions of other creatures and two of the major ones in this area are moose and wolves," explained researcher Rolf Peterson with the Michigan Technological Institute.

Peterson and his wife Carolyn have been studying the relationship between the wolf and the moose here for nearly 40 years. They organize volunteers from all over the world who come here to comb the island for bones of mammals, predator, and prey.

After a week in the wilderness the volunteers are loaded down with skulls, leg bones and vertebrae and it doesn't take an expert to see the wolves are in big trouble.

A deformity of the animals spine caused by inbreeding pinches nerves, which must be painful and disabling. What they discovered is arthritis is devastating the wild creatures.

The wolves are crippled so badly they can't dodge the flailing hooves of a cornered moose, and every single wolf on the island has the same defect.

"In the last 10 years, we have not found a normal wolf," said researcher John Vucetich.

Peterson says inbreeding is probably the cause and nothing can be done to prevent the inevitable.

"Wolves will decline, possibly to the point where their population in is jeopardy," he said.

So all is not well in this northern paradise where the wolves roam freely, but face extinction. Dedicated scientists like Vucetich and the Petersons can only helplessly document the end of their own research.

Onpoint

Last edited:
feed your dog a good product 30% protein and 20% fat.

This is not necessarily correct. For the times that you are working your dog extra hard like hunting several days a week a dog food formula containing 30% protein and 20% fat is fine. But for the occasional or weekend hunter and during the off season there is no need for this high of protein and fat content. I suppose for dogs that have a difficult time maintaining weight it's okay but for most dogs it's not needed and could lead to excess weight gain. And older dogs don't need it either. There's a lot more to selecting a good dog food than looking at the protein and fat content. There are also a lot of good dog foods that won't break the bank.

dog food

I work for a dog trainer trains field trial labs, he feed pro plan dog food, but he told me that in my case as I only hunt 2-3 hours per day and maybe 3 days a week, I wouyld be better off feeding Iams dog food and it seems to be doing great with my lab..

Iams are spendy food but they do put in great quality food. My cat is fed Iams indoors food bc his poop is very smelly and with Iams, he is much healthier and he doesnt smell as bad.

GSP are very active dogs so i dont know giving a GSP Iams would be a good idea. Pro Plan would work better.

Dog food

This is what is great about a forum everybody is going to have different opinions, Iam just saying that dog foods very alot in ingredients, my dogs I have seven all hunting dogs seem to do well with a 30%-20% mix, they are exercised and worked with quite often. I understand not everyone is going to be able to do things this way. there are several good dog foods out there at a price that we all can afford.

Thanks too all that replied to to this post. I went with the Eukanuba 30-20, in 2 weeks my dog put on weight and has the energy of cross country runner. Thanks!!!:cheers:

I was told by the breeder to feed my new pup ProPlan Puppy. It seems to be some pretty good stuff...........Bob

Back