What Brand Of Food Is Everyone Feeding?

Mil_Vet

I have a year and half lab Rudy. My girlfriend is feeding him Nutro Ultra Adult. I'm thinking of switching him to Sportmix High Energy or EVO Red Meat Formula Dry. All suggestions are welcome! Thanks

I started feeding my black lab Eukanuba Premium Performance 30/20 in January. 30%protien 20% fat. I love the results. He had so much energy and noticably gained speed when I had him in the field. I'm finishing up this bag and once its gone I'm gonna switch him to something with less fat and protien so he doesn't gain alot of weight in the off season. Then come fall I'll switch him back to it.

The dog food issue has been discussed to quite some length in other threads on this site. Here's a couple of them.

http://www.ultimatepheasanthunting.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1322

http://www.ultimatepheasanthunting.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2645

ProPlan is probably one of the most popular brands but any good quality dog food will generally work well. Some dogs may do better on one than another and a lot of it just boils down to the owners preference. There are so many good ones out there it's quite difficult to narrow it down.

When my GSP was a pup, my breeder recommended Diamond food.. since he was a puppy, his diamond Puppy Food cost me 31.99 each bag. then when i switched to adult food, it was pro plan.

been using 4health pups seem to be doing good on it coat feels fine lot of energy seem to be filling out ,also have been looking at loyall by nutrena it looks like good food and reasonable priced and looks like it has good ingredients for growth and everything , i just dont know though so many brands to choose from kinda makes my head spin trying to make the right choice , feel like i need to take some college courses to fully understand everyting on the bag , but what i feed now is a 100 times better than o'lroy i used to feed about 10 yrs ago , my dogs should've kicked my ass for feeding them that stuff once i wized up and started feeding high quality food i seen an imediate difference in the bodies filling out and their coat was nicer and just overall health was better, live and learn.

Exceed Dog food

I have tried alot of dog food over the years and stayed with Pro Plan Performance till it got to expensive. Then a couple of people told me to try Exceed Performance by Members Mark (Sam's Club).
Without going into detail Pro Plan says #1 is chicken it is not because it is wet when weighed not dry....anyway My Vizslas look good on exceed, not heavy or gaining weight but alittle on the thin side so I am giving alittle more food right now. Been feeding Exceed for about 8 months and no dry skin or bumps. So far so good!!!
Oh Yea I think the bag weighs 44# for $29 bucks a bag.

I also feed my guy Eukanuba Premium Performance prior to the season and during the season. Have been very impressed with it. During the other times of the year it is Iams Adult in the green bag(can't remember the exact name). He does not seem to mind either of them at all but is there any disadvantage to switching?

Matt D

but what i feed now is a 100 times better than o'lroy i used to feed about 10 yrs ago , my dogs should've kicked my ass for feeding them that stuff once i wized up and started feeding high quality food i seen an imediate difference in the bodies filling out and their coat was nicer and just overall health was better, live and learn.

LOL yah.. i havent heard any good about Ol Roy. it was rated one of the worst. i think F.

Diamond is what i prefer not to feed.. but the breeder insisted and wow.. my dog has had a great coat. cant say that he doesnt eat enuf to keep him filled out as he was getting skinner so i fed him more each day and 31.99 adds up for a small bag and his eating habits.

so i went to Pro Plan adult which made it last longer for the $$$ but his coat got abit rougher after i switched to Pro Plan.

I also feed my guy Eukanuba Premium Performance prior to the season and during the season. Have been very impressed with it. During the other times of the year it is Iams Adult in the green bag(can't remember the exact name). He does not seem to mind either of them at all but is there any disadvantage to switching?

Matt D

sometimes youre suppose to slowly switch the food over to what you are gonna use... this way it doesnt upset him or her's stomach.. or from what im told.

i dunno if this helps. I know this chart doesnt amend with some of the members here.. but this is the puppy food rating..

I dont know if its true, but its posted as much as it is on gun dog sites all the way to German Shorthaired Pointer websites.

http://www.the-puppy-dog-place.com/dog-food-ratings.html

ive had good luck with chosing my dog food from that chart for puppy

funny how pro plan is a great plan to get.. however..

Pro Plan All Breed / Score 68 F
Pro Plan Natural Turkey & Barley / Score 103 A+

doesnt add up to me though. i mean what are they actually using in the ALL BREED that the natural turkey and barley has?

Last edited:
I have a GSP and also use the SAM'S Club EXCEED Lamb & Rice Formula. The dogs coat is great and shiny. He can also hunt all day long. Love it and I can can afford it.
I actually tried Pro Plan because my father gave me a bag he won from a field trial and even though I weened him over slowly, the ProPlan gave my dog diarrhea.
Bottom line: Go with what works for your dog.

I feed Nutri Source Super Performance. Just because it easy for me to get and has a high amount of protien to help keep weight on during hunting season.

I feed Nutri Source Super Performance. Just because it easy for me to get and has a high amount of protien to help keep weight on during hunting season.

I switched to NutriSource about a year ago and have been very happy with it. I feed the regular Chicken & Rice during the off seasaon and last fall I fed both the Performance and the Super Performance. I really couldn't tell any difference between the two Performance formulas.

i havent heard any good about Ol Roy. it was rated one of the worst. i think F.

I'll tell you how bad Ol Roy is, the local Humane Society won't even accept it. When you have a product this bad why does Walmart keep offering it?

I'll tell you how bad Ol Roy is, the local Humane Society won't even accept it. When you have a product this bad why does Walmart keep offering it?

Its because its very affordable for a 50 pound bag.. majority of the people dont care what the rating is of this food, they buy for the price, not the Nurtition in them. People go to walmart to SAVE.. not to get the healthiest food for their pet.

i got a big bag of native # 3 i will have to brake it up some for my new puppy
cost about 35.00 for a 40# bag

Native brand dog food here as well.

Waynemorgan, did you know they have a level 3 puppy formula with smaller size kibble?

Last edited:
Native #2

Talked the Native Folks at Pheasant Fest 2009, switched over and she has been doing GREAT.

Back