What are you doing to get ready for the upcoming season?

Bought a new vest for my young Vizsla today. He was wearing a medium Scheels vest last year and I bought him a large today. He has filled out and is muscling up a bit and I think he could use a little more room in the chest.

I was gonna buy a set of those two years ago. My mechanic buddy commented that they really make a lot of highway noise so I went standard tires instead. Michelin defenders. Good tires, but I drive so much I need new ones already.
The set I had 15 years ago were noisy but driving highway speeds with window down I really don’t notice any noise. As far as stiffness, I knew going up on ply they would be stiffer but that’s true of any tire.

I was gonna buy a set of those two years ago. My mechanic buddy commented that they really make a lot of highway noise so I went standard tires instead. Michelin defenders. Good tires, but I drive so much I need new ones already.
As far as gravel road tires go,the ko can't be beat. These days I like a less aggressive tread.

I have about 30,000 on my KO2s including 5 or 6 k pulling my travel trailer. Lots of miles on dirt and gravel and they are holding up well. I don't really notice a lot of highway noise. Would buy them again or maybe Falken WildPeaks which I've also had good luck with.

What are you doing to get ready for the upcoming season? So far I’ve purchased a new pair of boots and working on getting them broken in. Started to review the ammo supply. Shopping for a different over/under because…… well because. Added another black lab to the pack last spring as one can never have too many hunting companions. This little fire breather will not only be a great hunting partner but should be a fun one to run derbies after the hunting season ends.
So what are you doing to get ready for the season?
Walking 5 miles per day, 4 days a week.

I didn't get this posted after I wrote it this morning:

Whatever you all do, get doing it. It is 46* outside right now (2 nights ago the low was in the mid 70s), seasons are changing fast, the calendar says we are a week into September, time is flying!. NFL football kicks-off tonight, so we are there! We just had 3 days in the upper 90s with some wind and the corn is mostly cooked now except in the lower ground/next to waterways. It seems like it could be an early and fast harvest if it continues to be dry. Hearing corn yield estimates from 70 to 170 bushels on the corn, low yields will take less time.

I'm putting KO2's on the new camper. I already have them on all terrain camper, Runner and Cruiser. They are great.

Last edited:
Cool enough here again to finally walk the dog. It was nasty hot here over Labor Day. Like a blast furnace.

Still hot here, but slowly starting to get cooler. I am hoping next week, will be the week to start running the dogs.

I didn't get this posted after I wrote it this morning:

Whatever you all do, get doing it. It is 46* outside right now (2 nights ago the low was in the mid 70s), seasons are changing fast, the calendar says we are a week into September, time is flying!. NFL football kicks-off tonight, so we are there! We just had 3 days in the upper 90s with some wind and the corn is mostly cooked now except in the lower ground/next to waterways. It seems like it could be an early and fast harvest if it continues to be dry. Hearing corn yield estimates from 70 to 170 bushels on the corn, low yields will take less time.
My buddies near Platte say most corn out by the opener. Good news!

Beans are a week to ten days away from harvest in some fields around here. Harvest is always moisture dependent, but without any rain, I'd guess the majority of crops will be harvested by the traditional pheasant opener.

The first USDA crop harvest report comes out next week.

You can look at historical data for each state on the average harvest dates on the link below. Just click on a state and it comes up.

Back