What are you doing to get ready for the upcoming season?

Obviously great property/habitat. More exercise with dogs and increased their .water work. Practicing gun mounts.

Just like the movie "Field of Dreams", build it and they will come", well kind of like that. Yes, where we have great habitat in Iowa, we have great bird numbers. The issue with Iowa is that there is not a lot of public access, but that is just how it is. The locals are about the only ones that have a clue to the pockets of birds. I didn't hunt on any public access ground the entire season last year, never traveled more than 20 miles from home, shot a limit every outing except for a quick hunt on Thanksgiving morning, had the 3rd down, but the dogs just couldn't get that one corralled. Yeah, we have some birds here.

Spending a lot of time on the boat/lake. Doing some daily retrieving work with the dog. Not much in the way of significant conditioning since it is too damn hot here in NW Arkansas. The dog absolutely HATES the heat. He gets some good work swimming in the lake and off the boat.View attachment 5758
My son in law and daughter has that same boat. It's a 22-footer with a 350 around 300 horses. He treats it better than his kids! it's 20 years old and looks like it just came off the show room floor! They are pretty sweet boats.

My son in law and daughter has that same boat. It's a 22-footer with a 350 around 300 horses. He treats it better than his kids! it's 20 years old and looks like it just came off the show room floor! They are pretty sweet boats.
This is our 3rd Cobalt. This one is a 2021 R7 (27') with the Volvo 6.2L with 380HP. It will run 50mph. We recently sold our 2013 242 (24') with the Volvo 6.0L 380.

I'm cleaning my portable grill. Small foldable stainless steel model. Got get er ready for those birds.

I will be switching out the tires on my truck and putting on Falken Wildpeak's this coming week. Got out my e collars and GPS and charged them up. Updated the maps and software for my truck GPS. Going to trade in my Garmin Astro 320 w/2 collars and will be ordering a new Garmin 550 Plus with collars this week. I've also decided to switch my dogs off of PPP over to Inukshuk 30/25 for the season and will be picking up several more bags. I always enjoy getting ready for the season although updating gear ain't cheap.

I replaced the Goodyears with some BFG K02s. I have the feeling I wouldn’t be getting stuck as much as last year.

You will love the KO's. I have been using them for 100k miles.
Its been about 10 years since I’ve last purchased at set of them. But now have heard nothing but good things about them. I’m looking forward to seeing how they do.

There are a lot of places you can save money and/or make due with cheap stuff but IMO tires shouldn't be one of them. I am a believer in buying the absolute best tires you can afford.

Goodyears are crap. Diagnosed with MS a few years ago and am 40 now. I definitely feel it in the legs and feet when I walk for a while-not great for pheasant hunting. Been combatting with a lot of kettlebell work and walking with weighted vest, still sucks ass after a couple miles though, especially in grass. Just keep going and dont be a bitch. Sprung on some Crispis this year, hopefully they help, and will be following a new GSP pup while I still can. Ordered a GPS collar for her today. So far, she’s looking awesome.
Remy isnt lying-IA is great. I hunt there as much as SD. Private beats public all day. And there isnt much public in IA.

Goodyears are crap. Diagnosed with MS a few years ago and am 40 now. I definitely feel it in the legs and feet when I walk for a while-not great for pheasant hunting. Been combatting with a lot of kettlebell work and walking with weighted vest, still sucks ass after a couple miles though, especially in grass. Just keep going and dont be a bitch. Sprung on some Crispis this year, hopefully they help, and will be following a new GSP pup while I still can. Ordered a GPS collar for her today. So far, she’s looking awesome.
Remy isnt lying-IA is great. I hunt there as much as SD. Private beats public all day. And there isnt much public in IA.
Hard to beat a GSP for pheasant. I have a small female GSP and a young...but very large male Vizsla. My Vizsla is getting dropped off at a local trainer today for some more bird work.

I replaced the Goodyears with some BFG K02s. I have the feeling I wouldn’t be getting stuck as much as last year.
Another thumbs up for the KO2s. Lots of rocky Forest Service roads, trailer towing and road trips without one problem.

Spending a lot of time on the boat/lake. Doing some daily retrieving work with the dog. Not much in the way of significant conditioning since it is too damn hot here in NW Arkansas. The dog absolutely HATES the heat.
Same here. I take the dog with at times when the conditions allow, but not in the heat. She can't handle the heat and its just better to leave her at home than let her sit out in that blaring sun.

Attachments

• rig.jpg
    rig.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
Recently moved to a new area (Western Slopes Colorado). Basically have been exploring all the new public lands, since April I've hiked an average of 9 miles and 2,200 ft gain/week and the dogs have done 18 miles and 3500ft gain/week. This is probably going to be my most in shape season.

Same here. I take the dog with at times when the conditions allow, but not in the heat. She can't handle the heat and its just better to leave her at home than let her sit out in that blaring sun.
Same here in SW Utah. It's been really hot so a early morning walk then about 7 PM we turn on the front yard sprinklers and do some dummy work or just play with a Frisbee. I swear he can tell time 'cause he starts hanging out by the door and staring at us about 15 mintues before 7. He can't get enough of it.
A try to take him up into the mountains (10,000 feet) a couple of times a week for some hiking and a swim. It's cool and good conditioning for both of us.

Back