What are you doing to get ready for the upcoming season?

Recently moved to a new area (Western Slopes Colorado). Basically have been exploring all the new public lands, since April I've hiked an average of 9 miles and 2,200 ft gain/week and the dogs have done 18 miles and 3500ft gain/week. This is probably going to be my most in shape season.
Are you in dusky grouse country, I’ve come to love that bird… very frustrating and rewarding at the same time!

I've been biking and trail running about 6 miles every other day. I'm not the best hunter, so often I need to walk all day. That and I often hunt country that is marginal for bird numbers. It's been pretty rare that I limit out early. Either way I love bird hunting more than anything so spending all day out chasing roosters has never hurt my feelings.

Casey's in the midwest serves a pretty good pizza for a gas station. They used to make good sandwich's too. Good to go slow but I would also add in some doughnuts for breakfast to keep your sugar levels up.

Something about Casey's breakfast pizzas & donuts that require a pheasant hunter to carry ample TP on his person, in a dry place, available at a moment's notice. You've been warned.
That’s so true, had there breakfast pizza last week and didn’t make it 50 miles!

That’s so true, had there breakfast pizza last week and didn’t make it 50 miles!
Yikes, Don't need that..... Probably way too much fat. Our service station pizza is Hunt's Brothers. It is really good and typically it is not a laxative, lol

I've been loading shells, cleaning guns, sharpening knifes and talking to landowners. It has been over 90 for as long as I can remember here so I am playing racquetball inside just to keep the lungs and legs working. Other than that, I have been reliving last year in my mind. Lots of great memories.

One thing I will do before season starts, is pull out the hunting journal and read through all my hunts of yesteryear. Entertaining and sometimes I left myself a good tip in writing that I had forgotten about.

Back