Viet Nam vets

While in DC I have to say the Vietnam memorial was the most moving thing I saw.

I'm a Vietnam era vet. Enlisted in 1968 right after the Tet Offensive and served 3 years in the Army. But my boots never hit the ground in Nam. Still feel I did my duty at a tough time.

Also a Vietnam era vet ,was in the last group in my county to be drafted and served in a cav unit in Germany as a tank crewman. Have the highest respect and admiration for all Vietnam vets.

Vietnam era vet also but never got sent to Vietnam. 1968 to 1988 USAF.

Thanks to all who served, whether in Viet Nam, during the Viet Nam Era, or any other time. I also have great respect for veterans, some of whom posted above, who could get away with claiming to have served in Viet Nam but have nothing to do with such falsehoods, the stealing of valor, as some four million Americans reportedly do (i.e., claim to have served in Nam when they did not). The people who actually went, as the above posts show, just mention the bare facts in response to this thread's question. Haymaker, it was nice of you to ask.

Last edited:
Those of us that served during Vietnam were largely under appreciated at the time for our service. I think it's only been the last 10 years or so that people have begun to recognize us.

Anyone on here belong to the Vietnam Veterans of America organization? Membership is open to any veteran that served during the Vietnam war regardless if your boots were on the ground in Nam or not. I did attend a meeting in my area but there ended up being a lot of arguing during the meeting and kind of turned me off. Been an American Legion member for many years.

Proud of my service and glad to have done it.

USMC-- 1966-1969 Infantry--Vietnam Feb 1967-until May 1969-- 2nd Combined Action Group--0311/0331 was my USMC MOS

MOS 0311: Rifleman. The very point of the sword.

I just read it. Smedley was a very intelligent as well as a courageous officer. I hope we still have others like him. Thanks for posting that article.

Back