unethical

12gaugedust

Me and my buddy went out hunting last saturday. Some guy had a 9 year old gsp out there, the hunt started off with his dog not listening to him, she ended up following us. So i stopped and let him get his dog. Anyways we walked on our way and they went another way. We ended up meeting again a couple hours later in a different field. His dog ended up following us again, we were walking down the same field that they just came out of. My dog hits point, and then his dog hits point. But the owner just keeps walking so by the time his dog his point hes 200 yards away yelling at her. By this time im in amazement that his dog doesnt listen for shit. So i told my buddy to go ahead and flush my dogs bird for him. Heres the tough part, his dog still is on point and the guy is 200 yards away so i said go ahead walk around her and as he did the bird flushed and we shot it. We got in a arguement, but in my eyes we didnt do anything wrong because he should have control of his dog, we are the masters. He didnt have no e collar on or anything. What would you guys have done in this situation? Shot the bird, or let it fly away?

Me and my buddy went out hunting last saturday. Some guy had a 9 year old gsp out there, the hunt started off with his dog not listening to him, she ended up following us. So i stopped and let him get his dog. Anyways we walked on our way and they went another way. We ended up meeting again a couple hours later in a different field. His dog ended up following us again, we were walking down the same field that they just came out of. My dog hits point, and then his dog hits point. But the owner just keeps walking so by the time his dog his point hes 200 yards away yelling at her. By this time im in amazement that his dog doesnt listen for shit. So i told my buddy to go ahead and flush my dogs bird for him. Heres the tough part, his dog still is on point and the guy is 200 yards away so i said go ahead walk around her and as he did the bird flushed and we shot it. We got in a arguement, but in my eyes we didnt do anything wrong because he should have control of his dog, we are the masters. He didnt have no e collar on or anything. What would you guys have done in this situation? Shot the bird, or let it fly away?

neither, how about kick that guy in the nuts?

The guy should not be hunting with a dog he can't control. There are all sorts of things that could go wrong. If he was both 200 yards away and yelling at his dog....it is your bird to shoot. Its one thing if he yelled to you something like "hey hold up while I get over there" that's another story and doesn't seem like that is the case here. It is irresponsible for him to even be hunting with that dog and I am disgusted to hear about it.

It is sad to say but in my opinion there are more bad dog owners than good ones these days.

i can't see where you did anything wrong. I hate hunting with screamers. Guys don't work with their animal, then get pissed when he won't do what he wants in the field. I have too few days in the field to hunt with a dog I have no control over. Should have took the dog home with you, after you kicked him in the nuts.

Second afield gonadal attack on master. :D Seiously, some people have never learned to handle life's little imperfections in an otherwise perfect place - like a hunting field.

Clearly the guys dog doesn't like him either! I would have shot both birds, then when he got all bothered by it offer to give him the bird his dog pointed. If he takes it that is one more you get to shoot that day! If he has enough guts to take the bird from you I would ask for a replacement shell for the spent one on his bird. (He He He He.)

Why was he mad? Cause you shot the bird his dog was standing? Was he looking for the dog at the time or heading your way? 200 isn't that far off imo.

I have to agree with John, 200 yards away is not an unreasonable distance for a dog to be. The dog just has to be able to hold the bird till you get there.

However, a dog can be out of control at 20 ft or 200 yards.

The way I read the post was that the owner was walking away from the dog, which was hunting with the poster. I don't think the distance is important as it is apparent that the owner was yelling at the dog. There is a certain amount of decorum that all hunters should try to live by while hunting public land. Unfortunately it is often overlooked. I could really care less how far out a guy chooses to hunt his dog. But if we are both in a field at the same time and your dog chooses to hunt by me instead of by you, I don't see how you could be pissed that I shoot a bird. This is especially true if you are walking away from your dog yelling at it.

Thank him for the use of his dog! Then ask him where is he hunting tomorrow so you can use his dog again!!!!:D:D Then kick him in the Peppers!!!!!:cheers:

A different situation, I had occasion where a really nice Pointer, came and joined our party, bestowing a freshly killed rooster to my friend. Obviously, he went off and retrieved a cripple. After the retrieve he believed that he knew where his party was, and zoomed off to find them. We looked around on the road, hoping to tell the tale, give them their bird, a give his some cover. Never found them, hoped he found his party, maybe with a tongue lashing to boot, for running off, the owner having no idea what a good dog he was!

Its always every year you hear this. Pointers lost, pointers this pointers that. :D Must be a pointy thing.

What was up here. Are u saying u had your dog on point and he had his own bird? And the other guys dog had its own bird? If that guys dog had his own bird, I would have just walked away after getting my bird. Now if his dog was backing your dog I would have just went in and got my bird, and had some words for him as well.

well i guess the way i see it and im kinda an asshole most of the times. If you cant control your dog then you shouldnt be hunting, or put a damn e collar on it so when you say here it listens. Obviously he thought he was to good for one. But thats his own problem, we shot the bird and took it, and i told him its his loss he should of been up there instead of walking away and yelling at his dog.

I will say, that havng birds shot over my dog on point, is more important to me than me being the person that shoots the bird.

my opinion - walk away. never pays to get into an altercation with a guy holding a shotgun.
Lifes too short to let this get under your skin

That guys dog knew its owner was a tool. He was trying out so you'd give him a home where a person appreciates a dog.

Without being there and in the situation, not sure what I'd do. But I don't start arguments with guns in hand.

well i guess the way i see it and im kinda an asshole most of the times. If you cant control your dog then you shouldnt be hunting, or put a damn e collar on it so when you say here it listens. Obviously he thought he was to good for one. But thats his own problem, we shot the bird and took it, and i told him its his loss he should of been up there instead of walking away and yelling at his dog.

OK never mind u never answered my question,LOL

Yes my dog had his own bird and the guys dog had his own bird too, right next to each other, but the guy was pretty far away and trying to call her off of it, but she wasnt moving. I told him and he just kept walking and yelling, so i shot the bird that in my eyes is his own fault. I offered the bird to him but he said no thats unethical

Back