Trying to get my nephew a bird

If I remember correctly his nephew doesn't live very close to him...
It is a good idea though for everyone....Get out there and shoot a few rounds of trap my guess is that you will enjoy yourself....

Last edited:
Was able to take a young man out Saturday to shoot his first bird!!! Outdoors, dirt, guns, cold Dew, teaching boys how to be young men! Don’t get much better. Only one problem….may have gotten him addicted😉

Attachments

• 87FF68B5-405B-4327-8332-4ACCA2C4C6D2.jpeg
    87FF68B5-405B-4327-8332-4ACCA2C4C6D2.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 11
If I remember correctly his nephew doesn't live very close to him...
It is a good idea though for everyone....Get out there and shoot a few rounds of trap my guess is that you will enjoy yourself....
I believe his “nephew” may be a unicorn herder in the land of rainbow stew and free Mountain Dew🤪😳1649036257186.png1649036257186.png8

Now that spring is sprung, maybe you should get your nephew out shooting some trap and skeet, it should help his chances of connecting with the real thing come next fall.
Though any kind of shotgun shooting is helpful, I personally don't recommend high-gun trap to bird hunters. Low-gun skeet or sporting clays more closely emulate actual bird hunting/flushes and gives a shooter practice with crossing, over head and other non-typical (for trap) shots. In the fall we also use a random, delayed release (up to 3 seconds), also used in "international skeet" so that we don't get used to calling "pull" and starting to shoulder the gun simultaneously. That really helps deal with the "surprise" of a flushing bird, though we get a lot of whining from shooters initially, it pays of in the field.

For the past 3 years, my nephew hunts with me for 5 days. He has been shut out 3 years in a row. He isn't very aggressive, but he has whiffed on some easy shots each year. We are hunting mostly public land, but also some good private farms.i know he's disappointed, but he doesn't show it. He got a few birds when he was 15, he's now 26. Any suggestions???
How's your nephew doing, and is he gonna give another crack at hunting with you this season?

I'd start by giving him the dominant eye test - Of course if he closes one eye, then this doesn't matter - This is the first thing I do with new or inexperienced shooters - I've come across a few that were right handed, with a dominant left eye; two choices; close your left eye when you shoot, or shoot left handed.

Next, I would get someone to throw clays, first start shooting at targets straight away (usually they shoot high, but you can tell and correct him), then move him to shoot at crossers - while you stand behind your nephew. Have him hold the gun as he would hunting, and mount the gun after the target is called. You can see where he is shooting, and help him adjust. You can build a lot of confidence in a new shooter, as they start busting clays. (I really enjoy working with & helping new/inexperienced shooters)
Having him mount the gun after calling the target helps him learn proper mounting technique and target acquisition.

Good luck and sure hope the two of you are celebrating this year!
His dad shoots left handed, but does everything else right handed.

Don't do that. Keep doing what you've been doing and just know you did your part. The rest is on him. To have your nephew kill a bird isn't worth compromising your principles.
Yeah I know
I'm against these pay hunting places.They are ruining the sport imo.

Something he can do at home, without supervision is to repeatedly bring the shotgun up to his shoulder while he is tracking imaginary birds, over and over again. He must get comfortable with the coordination of following the bird and mounting his shotgun simultaneously. He can look at the bead as the gun gets set, then look beyond (I used to track the moulding at the ceiling/wall intersection and track that.

Not more than five or ten minutes is enough for one session. Later in the day, do it again, and again, lather, rinse and repeat.

He WILL get the rhythm, and bring it along with him the next time a bird goes up.

Best wishes and congratulations for taking the time and concern to work with the young man.

Good for you.
One thing I found that builds on this a little is to place a mini-mag lite in the barrel and secure it with rubber bands. Then, point the light in a corner where the ceiling meets the wall. Mount the gun so that the light doesn't move from the corner. This way when you are looking at the pheasant you can keep your eyes on it and bring the gun up to a stable mount. You can then move the light along the edge of the ceiling/wall to make sure that your barrel is tracking what you are looking at.
You can also practice wearing bulky clothing/hunting vest to simulate real field conditions. Since I've started doing this 20 years ago, I've been shooting much better.
I have my 12 year old doing these drills and hopefully he has sucess in his first pheasant season this year.

One thing I found that builds on this a little is to place a mini-mag lite in the barrel and secure it with rubber bands. Then, point the light in a corner where the ceiling meets the wall. Mount the gun so that the light doesn't move from the corner. This way when you are looking at the pheasant you can keep your eyes on it and bring the gun up to a stable mount. You can then move the light along the edge of the ceiling/wall to make sure that your barrel is tracking what you are looking at.
You can also practice wearing bulky clothing/hunting vest to simulate real field conditions. Since I've started doing this 20 years ago, I've been shooting much better.
I have my 12 year old doing these drills and hopefully he has sucess in his first pheasant season this year.
He only hunts in late season, he's kind of a short guy. If I tell him to do something, he does the opposite. Short guy syndrome.

I'm an adult onset hunter, getting my first pheasant wasn't easy. I shot a lot of clays but would always miss the rooster. As long as he's shooting a gun/choke/shell that is appropriate, try to take the pressure off him. Tell him to mount the gun, take his time, and shoot. If he is persistent, it will happen. When he drops his first rooster on the season take him out for a PBR and a bacon cheeseburger. If he keeps at it none of them will be automatic, but they will become easier.
When he was 15, he got 2 sharptails, and I shot a pheasant I told him he got.

What I always try to do, is build the other guys up that hunt with me.I want them to continue hunting. It's pretty much my cousin and my nephew.My long time hunting friend died of brain cancer at age 55.He and I had lots of great times camping in North East montana, chasing turkeys and roosters.I really miss that guy.

Help him out combo one with him and tell him you think you missed. He needs a little a confidence. Let him use your 1100 so he can bang away
I've let him use several different guns.Hes in a bad slump.He likes to be off on his own, in general. He still hasn't figured out how to watch the dog.

Back