Trying to get my nephew a bird

Wait, I thought we all agreed it wasn’t about killing the bird but watching the dogs work and being outside?
Oh yeah, thanks for reminding me lol. I think I'm more upset about it than he is.Im sure I've never been shut out on a 5 day hunt in my life
Even when I was a 11 year old, I wasn't skunked. What I might do, is try to put him on some released birds.Ill have to research it in Montana.

Help him out combo one with him and tell him you think you missed. He needs a little a confidence. Let him use your 1100 so he can bang away
I did that when he was 15.He got a 20 pound turkey, that was sitting still at 20 yards when he was 15. You are exactly right.He needs confidence. He's hunted 17 days without shooting anything.

I did that when he was 15.He got a 20 pound turkey, that was sitting still at 20 yards when he was 15. You are exactly right.He needs confidence. He's hunted 17 days without shooting anything.
I’m half kidding but he does need start pulling the trigger if he’s going to kill anything. I’d feel better if I went through a couple boxes of shells and thought I got a piece of a few than shooting maybe 10 shells over a 5 day hunt and know I missed cause Ithey scared the crap out of me and I shot 3 feet behind them.
You got to make it fun for him.

Might be that you are trying too hard. I try to get my wife into birds and crap happens. Dog busts them out of range they get up into the sun, etc you know the drill. NOw I just give her a dog and let her go for a walk by herself and she blows a few holes in the sky like me and occasionally something falls sort of like my hunting.

I’m half kidding but he does need start pulling the trigger if he’s going to kill anything. I’d feel better if I went through a couple boxes of shells and thought I got a piece of a few than shooting maybe 10 shells over a 5 day hunt and know I missed cause Ithey scared the crap out of me and I shot 3 feet behind them.
You got to make it fun for him.
Exactly. He doesn't shoot very often.He doesn't shoot, when he should shoot.Hes always messing with his phone, or not ready.

Talk to A5 and see if your nephew can hunt with him and Ace. As long as nephew can bust through the cattails and keep up with Ace he's gonna get his chances. And even if he misses it'd be worth it to see a springer tear through the pheasant fields and watch that tail wiggle.
Oh yes.My dad used to have 2 springers.

Buy some birds and plant them for him, you don't have to tell him their planted birds either if you don't want to. Did that last year for my 12 year old and he had a blast, planning on doing it again this year after Christmas.

Take a day or two in the off-season and go shoot some sporting clays. 100 rounds a couple times a year can do wonders for shooting performance. Also, I've seen people that can bust clays all day and when it comes to hitting birds they are blowing holes in the sky. Might be he is taking his head off the gun to look at the bird subconsciously.

Personally, I hate sporting clays. I don't think it is a practical representation of the hunting experience, but that's just me. Too much regimentation, not enough spontaneity and FAR too many people watching my efforts.. Fine for some, but not for a self-conscious young man.

Have great Holidays, and give him chance to succeed, not fail.

Best wishes,

Kis and Tinker

Back