Trying to get my nephew a bird

I've let him use several different guns.Hes in a bad slump.He likes to be off on his own, in general. He still hasn't figured out how to watch the dog.
Maybe take him out with you in the old pickup, and have him dress less like a city slicker. Get him a seed cap and an old barn coat. Make him leave the phone in the truck while you hunt. Then you need to get permission on land loaded with PLD's. Put him in the middle of wild bird heaven, and when he gets a lot of opportunities at close-flushing unpressured birds he'll connect sooner or later.

Maybe take him out with you in the old pickup, and have him dress less like a city slicker. Get him a seed cap and an old barn coat. Make him leave the phone in the truck while you hunt. Then you need to get permission on land loaded with PLD's. Put him in the middle of wild bird heaven, and when he gets a lot of opportunities at close-flushing unpressured birds he'll connect sooner or later.
He was raised in Minneapolis, and he has these goofy friends that he communicates with constantly. He will never be without his phone.I can hunt with him very late season. Maybe in the camper. He only hunts one week.

He was raised in Minneapolis, and he has these goofy friends that he communicates with constantly. He will never be without his phone.I can hunt with him very late season. Maybe in the camper. He only hunts one week.
He usually shows up late December.

He doesn't dress like a city slicker.He gets several decent opportunities every year.He just can't hit anything, not even close. He took 6 years off when he was 16. Kind of a strange kid. He has short arms and short legs.I think he needs a special fitted gun.id like to take him to a preserve, but I'm kind of against those places.

I'm an adult onset hunter, getting my first pheasant wasn't easy. I shot a lot of clays but would always miss the rooster. As long as he's shooting a gun/choke/shell that is appropriate, try to take the pressure off him. Tell him to mount the gun, take his time, and shoot. If he is persistent, it will happen. When he drops his first rooster on the season take him out for a PBR and a bacon cheeseburger. If he keeps at it none of them will be automatic, but they will become easier.
I think he learned a lot this trip.He grew up in a huge city,with wierd parents. His dad doesn't hunt or fish, or anything outdoors.He got aggressive this trip, and that helped.I don't know yet if he's going to be a birdhunter, but he's made progress this year.I have another nephew who turns 9 in March, who wants to hunt.So next fall will be his opportunity.

Back