These video guys

Hey Munster, I am curious what do you see as the relationship between public (Federal) land and license?
Research the Pittman-Robertson Act. Many of the provisions of that bill that helped create the "American" hunting experience that we know today.

One in particular is that hunting/fishing license funds cannot be diverted away from being spent on anything but administering state wildlife agencies. So the money you're paying for hunting in particular states stays with their wildlife agencies. Feds match state funds based on how many licenses are sold. More licenses = more federal money for projects.

Alot of federal land is purchased via the same act. However as there's no federal hunting license (other than a duck stamp), most new federal lands are purchased via funds from the excise tax on firearms, ammo, etc. That tax also stems from the Pittman-Robertson Act.

Thanks for referencing Pittman-Robertson. I do have a few clarifications though. Pittman-Robertson is not only used to match state "Game" programs and efforts. It is also used to fund "Non-Game" or 'Not Huntable" species within State Wildlife Agencies, although you are correct, more licenses sold means more Pittman-Robertson match.

The other clarification I would like to make is that in the grand scheme of things, very very little federal lands are "sold" or "purchased" using Pittman Robertson or any other state or private funds. Let's hope that it stays that way for ever!!!

One additional point of clarification. The #1 most significant driver of Pittman-Robertson $$$$ match to state wildlife agencies is non hunting ammo and gun sales not hunting license sales.

Watching Golden Hour smoke a rooster in slow motion is a bit morose,but I do enjoy some hunting video.These hicks out deer hunting hold no interest for me.
go ahead and tell it like it is; don't hold back :eek:

Don't forget that many state game and fisheries are funded by license revenues and PR reimbursements. Many state game and fish agencies do not receive general tax dollars funds These dedicated funds pay the salaries of wildlife/fish biologists and their management operations (banding, aerial surveys etc), purchase of state game lands and wildlife research.

I had 34 years as a wildlife biologist.

I

I thought the same thing and I was wrong. Drove 1000 miles pulled into the first public we liked to run the dogs and walked out with 3 birds. 5 day hunt lost one spot to someone else. Could be worse around the bigger towns or off the interstate, they can have it!
I agree, I was just making a point that everybody should decide for themselves public or private. I would get a lot more satisfacation on roosters from public than private. SD definitely on my bucket list. Good luck this fall

Don't forget that many state game and fisheries are funded by license revenues and PR reimbursements. Many state game and fish agencies do not receive general tax dollars funds These dedicated funds pay the salaries of wildlife/fish biologists and their management operations (banding, aerial surveys etc), purchase of state game lands and wildlife research.

I had 34 years as a wildlife biologist.
Thanks Rangerman. Great points. I hope that zero general tax $$ ever go into funding state wildlife/fish management. In my opinion it clouds science and politics.

It was a wonderful career, somedays I had to pinch myself getting paid to trap/band wood ducks, mallards, geese, doves. Even spent 3 weeks on the Hudson Bay performing Canada goose surveys.

Got alittle more difficult when you had more years working in the field than the age of new supervisors in the central office.

Now I spend my time with the 3 setters and usually hunt in SD, ND, NE and Kansas. Typically make 3 to 4 five day trips.. however the section lines are getting longer as I approach 65, and the mrs doesn't approve of me going alone.

Watching Golden Hour smoke a rooster in slow motion is a bit morose,but I do enjoy some hunting video.These hicks out deer hunting hold no interest for me.
A good buddy who is all in on deer hunting shot a whopper deer several years back. It was a big old buck from a swamp in north central MN. The taxidermist told him this deer won't taste good. He then said he could bring in the meat to a local food shelf. My buddy agreed. He's a blue blood and I think he only wants a trophy mount. Not my cup of tea.

The taxidermist told him this deer won't taste good. He then said he could bring in the meat to a local food shelf.

MN has a venison donation program specifically for instances like this. There is a list of meat lockers on their website that participate. All you have to do is tag and transport the deer (field dressed) to one of them and they do the rest. I've taken a couple of bucks to one before. Older, more sizable bucks are tough and leathery. Not to mention if its during gun season they're most liklely in the rut and pumped up with hormones.

A young corn fed anterless deer is much better eating.

I saw a video where a guy from Iowa loaded his gun,then set it on the hood of his truck while 3 other guys walked around. Very unsafe.In another video, this guy from Wisconsin wherled around and shot right at a guy who had to hit the ground!!

I don't think they've invented the right emoji for me to use on this post. You get style points for good use of vocab though😆. I usually have 1 or 2 misses a year(or 24). I'll see if I can get one on tape in slow mo, gotta cheer for the bird sometimes!

I don't think they've invented the right emoji for me to use on this post. You get style points for good use of vocab though😆. I usually have 1 or 2 misses a year(or 24). I'll see if I can get one on tape in slow mo, gotta cheer for the bird sometimes!
These guys that are lining up with a bunch of dogs, are a bonehead group.1 guy, or 2.

Back