There is Just Something About Them!

Looks like someone bought a 3 pack of Acme rockets and strapped them to those dogs!! Thats what Im in for eh????:thumbsup:

Looks like someone bought a 3 pack of Acme rockets and strapped them to those dogs!! Thats what Im in for eh????:thumbsup:

If your future includes a field bred Springer than YES SIR! They will rip their hearts out for you...enjoy the journey!:cheers:

You know how I feel! I can't see myself owning another gun dog besides a springer spaniel! That is a great video!:cheers:

Yea Hollow....I know all too well how you feel, it's Springers till the end! :thumbsup:

Cool video! I don't think mine are that fast.:cheers:

I had an opportunity to watch some springers work yesterday, all I can say is I can't wait till it's the right time for me!!! :(

In the tire-kicking phase of bird dog #2 (#1 is a Lab). Anybody care to share some ESS or Welshie breeder recommendations?

Just as interested in a started dog as a pup. Maybe moreso.

A member here FCSpringer looks like he has a good line of Springers!

Thanks all, I did a forum search (of course) and watch the dogs for sale threads here, but it's always nice to have up-to-date info when looking for dogs/breeders as some things obviously change.

S.davis

Looking for a good Springer can really be a fun process. If you get a pup from good hunting lines you're pretty much assured a good hunting partner. If you include some of the greats then it gets even better.

I like to include some of these guys and girls in the bloodline search.

Saighton Scud

Cortman Lane

Jordan Valley Ann

Sunrise Zinger

Badgercourt Druid

Staxigoe Swank

Gwibernant Gerfi

High Chaparral Chaps

These are just a few that I like to see in the bloodlines, it's not necessary but it pretty much guarantees an outstanding gun dog! A field bred Springer Spaniel in my opinion is one of the best all around gun dogs there is....bar none!

Last edited:
Thanks all, I did a forum search (of course) and watch the dogs for sale threads here, but it's always nice to have up-to-date info when looking for dogs/breeders as some things obviously change.

FC Springer (Ken) has some fine dogs... He is also full of knowledge. It wouldn't hurt to contact him and discuss what you are looking for.:thumbsup:

http://www.glenwoodkennels.com/

I buy my Springers from a small kennel in Mitchell SD called Glenwood Kennels. The contact is Jennifer Tuttle-Graham. I included Her maiden name, as She is probably better-known in the business under that name, (See the old Gun Dog magazine article about Jenn). The farm is located in one of the biggest pheasant honey-holes you will ever see. They have bred Spaniels for over thirty years. In my experience with Bella and my new pup, Abby (8 months), the dogs are very calm, (not typically something Springer owners brag-of), manageable around the house, absolutely fearless in the field, with great natural instincts.Get your order in early for Spring litters, as She breeds a very limited number of pups, and most go to people like me who are return customers. I am not a dog trainer. I use Mr. Roebuck's book (may he rest in peace), teach the basics, then just put them on as many birds as possible, (yesterday my dogs got over two dozen flushes right off the end of their noses, and set flight to over 500 birds, easily). If you are a dog guy and not a pheasant killer, you can teach a dog more about being a functional bird dog in these conditions than any pigeon training ever will.( I realize, of course that most don't have the luxury of having thousands of wild birds at-hand.)

On a separate note, I have noticed that a lot of outfitters in Central SD who are hunting with clients daily are going to Spaniels. I think it's not only due to their abilities, but also to the fact that well-bred ones have less health issues, live longer, eat less food, and have lower kennel costs than most breeds. i don't get out East to hunt, but it's definately a trend in Central 605, in my observation.

Last edited:
Back