The A5 Browning returns in 2012

Now THAT brings back memories . . . reckon I'll start saving if they eventually add 20 gauge to the line-up.

I can't wait to get my hands one one of these guns. Interesting that Browning is going with this operating system... going after the Benelli market??? I wonder what it will weigh? I can't wait.

Onpoint I posted the same link before I saw yours.:eek: sorry for that.:eek:

No problem jmc, we all get pretty excited when a gun like this hits the market. I hope to own one myself. I'm a Browning man though and through

No problem jmc, we all get pretty excited when a gun like this hits the market. I hope to own one myself. I'm a Browning man though and through
Yes I'm a big browning fan and own several A-5s. However I also love the Benelli Montys. Can't wait to see the new A-5.:thumbsup:

Wow what a nice looking gun--kinda though I was through buying new shotguns but maybe not:)

Not predicting good or bad, but doesn't have much in common with the old A-5 beyond the shape of the reciever. It it ain't broke why fix it?

My all time favorite gun is A-5. The new A-5 "hunter" is a must for me. I was thinking about purchasing the new Maxus Hunter for my next gun, but this new A-5 takes the cake. Tradition meets performance.:thumbsup:

Thanks for posting opoint. I had no idea this thing was coming onto the market.;)

The A-5 is an aquired taste, which I never aquired.

I much prefer the look and feel of a Rem 1100.

A5

An A 5 in either 20 or 16 gauge with beautiful wood is on my "find" list. If the price is right, I'm buying. Iconic gun; like everything John Browning made, it is pretty much timeless............amazing!

Tradition meets performance.:thumbsup:

Nicely put!

I'm not sure if I'll buy one, but the original A5 was in continuous production for something like 80 years. Pretty impressive run. I have the step cousin in a Remington 11 (16 gauge).

The new A5 will be an interesting gun.

Just a quick followup. Sorry, don't mean to highjack the thread, but after a little research I found this to be a stunning statement.

"The first of the A-5 patents (No. 659507) was awarded on October 9, 1900. While that may well be, it all has to be put into context. The Ford Model T was introduced eight years later, in 1908."

Carry on! :)

New A5

What I would like to see is a "new Sweet Sixteen" come out with the scaled down receiver and barrel. My old Sweet Sixteen is a keeper but a new one would look good in my hands also. The 12 gauge is listed at $1559.00 with a wood stock and weighs in at just under 7lbs. with the 28 inch barrel.

It's interesting that Browing would bring back a model called the A5 when it's really nothing like the original. About all I can see that is the same is the "hump". BUT, if they would come out with it in a "Sweet Sixteen" I might have to take a look. I've been pheasant hunting for 55 years and just got my first A5 recently. A 1961 Belgium Sweet Sixteen. I've had it in the field twice. The first time I took 2 sharpies with 3 shots and this past Saturday I went 3 for 3 on pheasants. I think it's going to see a lot of action this fall. :)

Ditto on the Sweet Sixteen offering. "The queen of the uplands!"
I wouldn't be surprised if they tried it out. They've pretty much got the Auto 16 market to themselves (to my knowledge) save the 1100 16 gauge which isn't really a true 16.

Last edited:
This looks like a fantastic gun!

I currently own a 1941 Bng. A5 - have had it for about 47 years and it's still working. Have had to alter the gun due to shoulder cancer and tend to shoot it during the winter month's when I have more padding/clothing.

Wonder when the 20 GA. will be available?

It ain't an A-5. If you think so, you're just falling for the hype. The original is a classic. This is just an attempt to appropriate the name and hopefully fool a bunch of buyers into thinking they're getting the original. You will never find one sitting in the safe next to my 1958 Light 12 or 1961 Sweet Sixteen.
It maybe a great gun, but I choose not to reward the cheap marketing attempt.

Back