Sun Setting on My Hunting Career

Zeb the older I get the faster I was That being said enjoy your time with your dog and family and when you can't go you can. Alway's play the tapes from past hunts. I always enjoy your posts.

Just wondering if any of the older members on this forum feel that your days in the field are nearing the end? I think I'm fast getting to that point. I'm 76, and I know there are guys out there still walking the fields that are older than me. When I was younger I never thought the day would come when I was thinking about hanging it up. I've always been in very good physical shape for my age, but age is beginning to catch up with me. A couple of years ago I found out I had AFib and that has really zapped my energy and stamina. An hour or two in the field and then I need a couple of days to recoup. I've got a bad back that has really been acting up lately and giving me fits. Hope to get in for an epidural in the next week. When you are physically not feeling well it has a tendency to also effect you mentally. Tough to get excited about the next hunt. If I didn't have a 6 year old dog and a 16 year old grandson that likes to hunt I'd probably throw in the towel right now. I've been hunting with a gun since 1956 and I've got some wonderful memories from those past 66 years.
I know that many here are not with this kind of thinking but here is my thoughts.
I am 72 yrs old with a neck surgery fused and both knee replacement (arthritis) but still hunt. Today I am good for a few days chasing wild birds then a break before going out again. Even if I just have a few hours out on the field, road hunt & short walks etc, makes my day and my dogs.
Then when season is over, I hit my hunting club often for just a couple of hours chasing left over birds from other members previous hunts (scratch hunts). The club is nothing fancy and its cost is most affordable for my budget. I am able to take my sons and grandsons for a quick hunt without taxing me or my budget. The birds there are good flyers and do not need to be kicked or any of that stuff and flush on the dogs if crowded. So it is a good simulation of the real thing. I have often teased my wife that when I can not do it by walking I will get a 4x4 electric wheel chair (y)
Just a thought

In my third year without dog or hunt. Five knee replacements on right knee, macular degeneration has raised havoc with sight,
and hoping to be able to get a drivers license renewal in December. Sure miss going and the dogs, but DAMN glad I had so many years of good health. Looking forward to hunting in the next world. That thought keeps me going. Best to all

You

are in way better shape then I am at 25 years younger. Between college football and a misspent youth of alcohol and car wrecks I put my body through hell. Now I need to get some weight off so I can keep up with a new dog. Btw picked her up this morning
Jimmy Buffet has a song that I can relate to, he says “she treats her body like a temple, I treat mine like a tent”. I resemble that remark and it’s harder to get around but don’t give up!

I'll be 75 in December. Because of my age and copd I have had to give up pheasant hunting. I am duck hunting now with my family. Much easier. Maybe I'll go pheasant hunting one more time to drive the truck and block. We'll see.
Chip, Try one more time. I have copd also. I know that is what will stop me from hunting.

Went out yesterday with one of the dogs to see if we could kick something up. First stop just a nice walk with dog we didn't kick up anything so down the road there's another spot. Pulled into the parking lot and one other truck was there. Walked into the field to see where the other hunter was and spotted him so I went to the other side to hunt. Didn't kick up anything and on the way back out we met. Found out he was 82 years old and still enjoyed getting out with his dog. Just hope I can get to that age and still enjoy it.

Went out yesterday with one of the dogs to see if we could kick something up. First stop just a nice walk with dog we didn't kick up anything so down the road there's another spot. Pulled into the parking lot and one other truck was there. Walked into the field to see where the other hunter was and spotted him so I went to the other side to hunt. Didn't kick up anything and on the way back out we met. Found out he was 82 years old and still enjoyed getting out with his dog. Just hope I can get to that age and still enjoy
That’s awesome lubers & agree!

Just wondering if any of the older members on this forum feel that your days in the field are nearing the end? I think I'm fast getting to that point. I'm 76, and I know there are guys out there still walking the fields that are older than me. When I was younger I never thought the day would come when I was thinking about hanging it up. I've always been in very good physical shape for my age, but age is beginning to catch up with me. A couple of years ago I found out I had AFib and that has really zapped my energy and stamina. An hour or two in the field and then I need a couple of days to recoup. I've got a bad back that has really been acting up lately and giving me fits. Hope to get in for an epidural in the next week. When you are physically not feeling well it has a tendency to also effect you mentally. Tough to get excited about the next hunt. If I didn't have a 6 year old dog and a 16 year old grandson that likes to hunt I'd probably throw in the towel right now. I've been hunting with a gun since 1956 and I've got some wonderful memories from those past 66 years.
George,
Just makes our time in the field all the special. I have enjoyed the friendship we have established and always enjoy spending time in the field with you. Wish we would have connected earlier in life. Please know your grandson is always welcome to join me when im in SD hunting.

I know it is a tough bridge to cross, it was a difficult decision for my Dad when he decided to hang it up, probably harder on me, selfishly. I know you and your grandson have created great memories and you have been a great mentor for him.

See you in a couple of weeks.

Last edited:
Almost all of my hunting friends are older than me. I'm late 50s and I always do all the heavy walking, cover and they take turns blocking.
I have a dog, none of them do any longer. Only two younger guys we hunt with have dogs as well.

I see my friends slowing down and now that my hunting is going to end with them. Probably won't get another dog to hunt the 3 or 4 times a year the older guys can handle. Not fair to the dog.

I feel bad but time marches on I guess.

Hate to say anything. At 66 there are days I ask myself how much longer can I do this? The answer usually comes in different forms. As long as my health allows me to. As long as I’m still enjoying the hunt. As long as my buddies still want to hunt together. As long as my wife continues to encourage me to go. As long as I have a dog. Oh and yes, as long as I can still afford it.
Im sure there are more reasons and I look forward to being that old guy you remembered when you first started hunting.

I've been avoiding this subject for sometime now; however, after reading the posts, I decided to tag on. Although not what I would consider 'old' at 62, my body feels much older at times. I raced and wrecked motocross bikes for years along with JH, HS, and college football, my joints ache enough to make me wonder how much more time I have in the field. I have promised my two GSP's Jax and Duke that I'll hunt as long as they can so I'm going to hold on. Jax is 8 and Duke is 6. I wish all of you 'old' guys the best and ask the same. Enjoy life as long as you can and remember to train those below us in the right direction.

My dad (up in MN) is 81 with AFib as well. He got a membership at a club 40 miles away and scratch hunts there almost every week in the fall. But his walks are down to 1-2 hours. He did do partridge Saturday but only 1/2 day. Still helps out an X-Country Ski team but has quit going down big hills. We all know that this may end at any point but he's going to keep going as long as possible. May even get another dog when this one is done.

But I appreciate the topic--it bears thinking and talking about. And I appreciate all the folks here sharing their experiences.

I “gave up work” a couple of years ago at age 50 (stay busy with rental properties etc) and now find that most of my friends are in their late 60’s and early to mid 70’s (one guy canoed the Grand Canyon on my last trip at age 70!) because they have the time and funds to spend their time in the ways they have always wanted, whether hunting, fishing, boating etc… They appreciate me being around because I can step in (or more importantly my dog can) and do the “heavy lifting”. I’m glad to do it, I get the pleasure of their company and they get to keep doing what they love. If you’re out there and thinking about quitting because it’s getting unsafe to hunt alone or whatever, feel free to PM me. Always willing to spend time in the outdoors with anyone who loves it as much as I.

Hate to say anything. At 66 there are days I ask myself how much longer can I do this? The answer usually comes in different forms. As long as my health allows me to. As long as I’m still enjoying the hunt. As long as my buddies still want to hunt together. As long as my wife continues to encourage me to go. As long as I have a dog. Oh and yes, as long as I can still afford it.
Im sure there are more reasons and I look forward to being that old guy you remembered when you first started hunting.
Tuck: At 84 I ask myself the same questions. Most of my buddies gave up the sport...

I “gave up work” a couple of years ago at age 50 (stay busy with rental properties etc) and now find that most of my friends are in their late 60’s and early to mid 70’s (one guy canoed the Grand Canyon on my last trip at age 70!) because they have the time and funds to spend their time in the ways they have always wanted, whether hunting, fishing, boating etc… They appreciate me being around because I can step in (or more importantly my dog can) and do the “heavy lifting”. I’m glad to do it, I get the pleasure of their company and they get to keep doing what they love. If you’re out there and thinking about quitting because it’s getting unsafe to hunt alone or whatever, feel free to PM me. Always willing to spend time in the outdoors with anyone who loves it as much as I.
You can come up and hunt the northern tier with us sometime. It isn't like South Dakota where you pay everybody.

Back