Stock Market

Hockeybob

My portfolio got absolutely crushed today. This will kill any thoughts of a 2nd trip to SD for me this year.dow down 475 pts

david0311

My portfolio got absolutely crushed today. This will kill any thoughts of a 2nd trip to SD for me this year.dow down 475 pts

And if you don't go --how will that help your portfolio??:eek: If you didn't need to draw for your portfolio for the second trip--no reason not to go-- everyone took a hit--life is short go hunting :cheers:

Dow

In the big scheme of things it will be a blip on your radar screen. The second later season hunt is imo the one that means the most. You won't really care so much about how full your pouch is. The pressures off, you've done it before, you can savor the moments. I closed the season out the last two years and shot little or nothing. The landscape that time of year, and the relentless cold, the exhaustion, makes you realize what a complete experience it is. The DOW, for the most part is a bunch of people pushing paper around hoping to get lucky without having to really do anything. That will never compare to being behind your dog in a snow squall, scores of birds spilling out beyond your gun, and wondering where your truck is. For Pete's sake just go.

Last edited by a moderator:
How's evertone feeling this morning? Futures down 800. Maybe some guys don't have much coin in the markets. I do and it's ugly.

david0311

How's evertone feeling this morning? Futures down 800. Maybe some guys don't have much coin in the markets. I do and it's ugly.

Feeling same as yesterday--- going hunting to S.D. for a month at least--no matter what market does--have seen all this before-

And If I was you I wouldn't assume --what some have or don't have by their lack of the panic

Seems to me that if you have that much in the market you would be in a good position to ride it out or even eventually use the current situation to your advantage--

Last edited:
david0311

Feeling same as yesterday--- going hunting to S.D. for at least a month;)no matter what market does--have seen all this before-

And If I was you I wouldn't assume --what some have or don't have by their lack of the panic

Seems to me that if you have that much in the market you would be in a good position to ride it out or even eventually use the current situation to your advantage--

I've got 8 years until retirement. I'm not heavily invested in equity stocks for this very reason - too much volatility and I'm not wanting to take the risk for potential big rewards. Steady and safer is my approach.

Once again my IRA (converted 401k) has taken a dump. Really causes some concern for those of us living off Social Security and what we withdraw from our retirement funds. Having been retired for 8 years the thought of going back to work isn't very appealing. :(

I hear ya Zeb this is very concerning. According to some on this thread we shouldn't worry about the market but just hunt more. I'll run those thoughts by my wife tonight and see if she agrees. :eek:

I hear ya Zeb this is very concerning. According to some on this thread we shouldn't worry about the market but just hunt more. I'll run those thoughts by my wife tonight and see if she agrees. :eek:

That's easy for them to say if they have 5-10 years to work before retirement. But I'm relying on Social Security and what I withdraw from my IRA to live on. That IRA withdrawal might have to take a cut. :mad:

I guess I'm not seeing the correlation between a market adjustment and a 500 to 1k investment in a hunt. I haven't even looked at my portfolio. Ignorance is bliss . I'm going hunting and fishing. I can't take it with me, and my daughter surely don't need it.

I guess I'm not seeing the correlation between a market adjustment and a 500 to 1k investment in a hunt. I haven't even looked at my portfolio. Ignorance is bliss . I'm going hunting and fishing. I can't take it with me, and my daughter surely don't need it.

The correlation might be clearer if you were retired and living off market investments! :)

david0311

The correlation might be clearer if you were retired and living off market investments! :)

Hang in there George--It will come back always has:rolleyes:

I've been retired 13 years now--

Still going hunting at least for a month

if I don't run into you in SD this fall see you in AZ this winter-

Will be out until late Nov. at least--:)

Sounds as if you might be fully allocated in the markets.

I think it is good to keep some dry powder for events like you mention. Big moves down make for good buying opportunities. If it comes back up, sell some off and replenish the powder.

Rinse and repeat.

The volatility won't feel so bad and you might even look at it as a $ making opportunity.

Some guys probably put more thought into how they plan and pack for a 5 day trip to SD than how they plan their financial future! You wouldn't got with just one gun and a few boxes of shells, right? Something could go wrong! I host about 20 different guys each fall and I see how they pack, I see the thought that went into the trip. Anyway, for those who are already retired, and pulling from their retirement $, I suggest having 3 "buckets" of $...one for your current income needs, all in cash equivalents...no return, but no risk...probably 12-24 months of your expenses. Bucket 2 would be a "balanced" portfolio...this 60/40 equity to bond portfolio probably dropped 6 or 7% at most from peak to trough this summer/fall, and has now basically recovered totally....you may have about 40% of your total portfolio in it. Bucket 3 would be your most aggressive portfolio, up to 100% in equities perhaps, where you would hold another 40% perhaps. When bucket 1 gets too low and needs to be "refilled" for another year or two of your income needs, take from either bucket 2 or 3, depending on how they are doing, respectively. Bucket two may even have some cd's or individual bonds, utility stocks, preferred stocks, etc...point being, to have ALL your portfolio in an aggressive posture once you are retired and relying on it is probably a bad call, especially if it prevents you from going hunting! There may be times when you take advantage of those downturns and shift some $ from bucket 1 or 2 up a notch in terms of aggressiveness...take advantage of a 10 or 15% correction...again, a retirement portfolio should definitely have some cash, some safe bond holdings, and of course some equities for the growth needs that you have over a several decade retirement. Look at a vanguard or t rowe price or fidelity "target date fund" that is designed for an investor retiring in 2015 or 2020...it will be broken down roughly in a 20% cash, 40% fixed income, and 40% equity fashion...probably fell about 5% at most from the peak- to- trough volatility that we had from mid- august through late october...I have been a Certified Financial Planner for about 25 years, and have guided a few folks through this stuff...not looking for biz, just feel bad that this fall's bump in the road would keep someone from hunting!

Just for the heck of it—-looked up what the market DOW was in August 2015 when this post was originated—and some were in panic mode!
DOW was at—16528
Today even after the Kung-Fu virus dip it’s at 24505–
Been retired since 2003-
Not concerend��
Went hunting in 2015 in S.D. For a month with my beloved dog MISTY—hand great time-remember it well-First year full time guiding
Lost her six months ago—don’t remember what I was down in the market—and don’t give a damn—can’t compare money to those times
I’ll be going again with current dogs-regardless of market JMO

Back