Steel shot size preference?

Matt D

Have never had to use steel for pheasant before. Can the experienced steel shooters tell me what size you prefer and also is 3" the way to go for this?

I look forward to seeing what the opinions are on this.

Thanks!

+1 on #3

#3 steel is a good all around size for Phez. Roughly the same down range pellet energy of the lead #5 at 40 yards. 3" just sweetens the pattern a bit for more pellets on target.

This also follows the two shot sizes larger rule of thumb developed by Tom Roster for comparing lead to steel. Always go two sizes larger when using steel from whatever lead shot size you were using previously.

Last edited:
Yes 12. Is it crazy to think about using 16 ga with steel?

No, it's not crazy to use a 16 with steel. There just isn't much available. I've used Federal 16 ga. #4 steel in the past with good results. Or as good as you can expect with steel.

I like 2 3/4 # 3 in my sxs 12 ga

3 " one ounce # 3 steel in 20 ga SxS 3 steel is about the largest shot size in a 20 to fill the pattern .

I had to pattern several loads before I found a couple that shot the way I liked .
Winchester Drylok and Hevi-metal works in my guns .

I've shot relatively few pheasants with steel starting when non toxic was required for waterfowl and for everything on federal refuges. I won't use it if lead is still an option. I've used #3s, #4s, and #6s in 12 ga. and 20ga. I've had mixed results so far at best without a dog and now with a flushing dog. I thought the #4s worked well until I cleaned the birds and found the ones I got had few hits and were mostly "Golden BB" kills. That tells me that birds I thought I missed probably carried the lighter shot away as cripples which I hate above almost all other things.

I've patterned steel of at least 10 different loads in multiple brands and with consistently inconsistent results. I've used a 20 ga with mutiple chokes from Skeet to Super Duper extended turkey tubes and have had consistently spotty patterns with clumping being a uniform fault. That's what I've experienced with my gun. I'll continue to look for something in 20 ga. that has patterns as good as the loads available in 12 ga.

Tom Roster's study of steel shot for pheasants is available on the web and has been linked here a number of times. His study found #2 as the best with #3 only slightly less effective in the 12 ga. loads he used.

A lot depends on how you are shooting pheasants. If it's long shots with a flushing dog you'll need larger size. Pointing dogs or no dog and close shots and lighter shot with higher pattern density will work fine.
Pattern your gun until you find an acceptable load at your usual ranges and don't be afraid to have a progression of loads in your gun to deal with increasing ranges. I wouldn't just take what guys say that you don't know and have no feeling for how truthful or how good a shot or hunter they may be as the way to come up with the load that works for you.
Share what you find if it's not just anecdotal.

Last edited:
Yes 12. Is it crazy to think about using 16 ga with steel?

I use ITX #6 shot when non tox rounds are required for my 16. Gotta make your own and the shot definitely isn't cheap at ~$150 for a 7lb bag. Rounds are north of $2.00 with all the materials if loading new, unfired hulls, but they hit every bit as hard as lead. 7/8 oz @ 1500 fps.

Last couple seasons been using Kent upland fasteel 2 3/4 5 shot. It's small shot but has been deadly on pheasants and a few wood ducks. Seems to hit hard with very few cripples. Just sucks getting the small shot out of the meat.

20 gauge steel shot size?

A couple guys and myself are going to South Dakota in about 10 days. I will be using a 20 gauge. If I have to shoot steel I have 3" #3 shot. Is this fine or should I go with a different shot?

Back