Steel shot size preference?

A couple guys and myself are going to South Dakota in about 10 days. I will be using a 20 gauge. If I have to shoot steel I have 3" #3 shot. Is this fine or should I go with a different shot?

3" 3 steel 1 ounce is the best in 20 ga , I like my Mod Choke in my Benelli M-2

Hevi-metal and Winchester drylok in 3's have been great loads for me .

Blind Side 20 ga. ammo comes in 1 1/16 oz. loads but only 2s and 5s it seems. I've shot the #2s and found it to have slightly better penetration than round shot when using a phone book penetration test. Pellet count and energy is what kills birds. 20 ga. loads are anemic in large shot sizes as far a pellet counts so get the heaviest you can find.
It's also a function of how your gun spits them out. It seems odd that since it's basically just a tube but different guns and chokes "like" different loads. Pattern your gun before you go and know what to buy. Roster's test said #2 shot was best with #3 slightly less so but he was using a 12 ga. load with a higher pellet count. Do the math and check the pellet count.

Blind Side 20 ga. ammo comes in 1 1/16 oz. loads but only 2s and 5s it seems. I've shot the #2s and found it to have slightly better penetration than round shot when using a phone book penetration test. Pellet count and energy is what kills birds. 20 ga. loads are anemic in large shot sizes as far a pellet counts so get the heaviest you can find.
It's also a function of how your gun spits them out. It seems odd that since it's basically just a tube but different guns and chokes "like" different loads. Pattern your gun before you go and know what to buy. Roster's test said #2 shot was best with #3 slightly less so but he was using a 12 ga. load with a higher pellet count. Do the math and check the pellet count.

I agree that 2's work great, but in 20ga. the load size is already compromised vs 12ga. and to get an adequate pattern 3's might offer just a few more pellets to fill in the gaps.

I agree that 2's work great, but in 20ga. the load size is already compromised vs 12ga. and to get an adequate pattern 3's might offer just a few more pellets to fill in the gaps.

I think that's basically what I said too. The extra 1/16 oz. in Blind Side gives a pellet count in #2s that as I recall beats #3s in the more common 7/8 oz. loads. Unfortunately they don't seem to offer #3s in the 1 1/16 oz. loads.

I think that's basically what I said too. The extra 1/16 oz. in Blind Side gives a pellet count in #2s that as I recall beats #3s in the more common 7/8 oz. loads. Unfortunately they don't seem to offer #3s in the 1 1/16 oz. loads.

Saw some of that 1 1/16 oz Blindside in #2 at the local Farm store today for $19.95/box also Federal Black Cloud 1 oz. #2. Believe it or not, not a single box of #3 in 20ga. left anywhere, picked clean. I wouldn't hesitate to try the Blindside at all if i was using a 20.

Last edited:
Saw some of that 1 1/16 oz Blindside in #2 at the local Farm store today for $19.95/box also Federal Black Cloud 1 oz. #2. Believe it or not, not a single box of #3 in 20ga. left anywhere, picked clean. I wouldn't hesitate to try the Blindside at all if i was using a 20.

I used to hunt 30-35 days a year for birds but have cut way back as I've aged and spread my fun out over fishing and other things. I don't give birds away and eat all of the bird and not just the breast like some so there's multiple meals on one bird. I don't shoot more than I will eat quickly and as a result I don't shoot as many shells as I used to with this year being an example. I've shot 12 times at 10 roosters and got 7 of them with no cripples. A box at any price lasts me a long time so $20/box is one of the cheaper items in what I need to have fun outdoors. Calif. is all non-toxic now on the wildlife areas so there's no choice. I do hate cripples however and will use what I need to make quick kills. Pellet count is the key to that in my view.

3" for sure for me......I have been using some Hevimetal
3" 4's and simply waxing them with them

It's good you're having success using those non toxic shells. Look at your post and the information I returned in the "quail steel" thread for more information about what you like and don't like.

I doubt he even hunts;)

I think that you can tell how much a person hunts by how much finish they've worn off their gun. Feel free to resize because I can't figure it out.
d4a1bdf8-d3cc-4f22-950d-573d9983a556_zpswsfkgys7.jpg
IMGP0269_zpsjcrelrxm.jpg

Rio

Just used Rio's steel load for first time. Was 20ga, 2 3/4" #5 (called blue steel loads or something like that). Was in SD last week and the load killed 3 for 3 over flushers, max range was 30yrd about for one bird. My point is i was impressed with the Rio's and they were not badly priced.

Back