South Dakota 5 rooster limit?

At this point we have absolutely no idea how the members of the Commission view this proposal so we don't know if they will go along with it or not.
LM

The problem with the communication is that it sounds like vote is foregone conclusion. Just like the SEC warns against "forward looking statements" on securities, this to could be construed as a forward looking statement.

Here is the forst part of communication from GFP

"Pierre, S.D. â?? Due to the delayed harvest of crops this fall, the South Dakota Game, Fish and Parks Commission intends to act at its Dec. 3-4 meeting in Pierre on a proposal to raise the three-bird daily pheasant bag limit to five cock pheasants daily."

Who is this communication from? GFP? or GFP Commission?

Ifeel that if the vote passes it will creat more "interest" in late season hunts in SD but based on my experience with typical seasonal late season interest there won't be enough of it , regardless, to solve any issues the commission or state have concerns over. (aka harvest or tourism dollars).

The problem with the communication is that it sounds like vote is foregone conclusion. Just like the SEC warns against "forward looking statements" on securities, this to could be construed as a forward looking statement.

"Pierre, S.D. â?? Due to the delayed harvest of crops this fall, the South Dakota Game, Fish and Parks Commission intends to act at its Dec. 3-4 meeting in Pierre on a proposal to raise the three-bird daily pheasant bag limit to five cock pheasants daily."

Ifeel that if the vote passes it will creat more "interest" in late season hunts in SD but based on my experience with typical seasonal late season interest there won't be enough of it , regardless, to solve any issues the commission or state have concerns over. (aka harvest or tourism dollars).

I agree 100%, it too late to attracted and great numbers of hunters. Most have moved onto the coming holidays and family obligations.

The communication is from the news media and they got the information from the agenda. There isn't any communication whatsoever from the Commission nor any forward statement about the issue from the GFP.

Probably not such a bad idea for several reasons. If you subscribe to the belief that Pheasant populations are primarily habitat dependent and that surplus roosters only compete with hens for food and prime cover, why wouldn't you want to thin them down as much as possible. After all roosters don't lay eggs.

Don't know what you folks are experiencing in SD for hunter success but it has to be pretty tough with all the crops in the field. Here in SE Nebraska hunting has really sucked until this past week or so, and birds are starting to show up now that most of the corn is out and one and two man limits are coming with some regularity, but hunting pressure has really dropped off.

I and a friend made the trip to SD for the opener, hunted the first 3 days, and took limits but it wasn't easy. Normally we don't make it back for our second trip but the opportunity to take 5 birds just might be enough to get us back. What happens if we come back? Well we buy gas, stay at a motel several days, eat at the local cafe, etc. In short we help the local economy. If enough people do this then everybody wins and maybe we thin the population a little. In my case I have to buy another $110 license, since I bought my license late last year and carried it over to this year. Make no mistake about it, license money is the driver that buys and leases habitat, pays salaries, and etc. I'm guessing the game fund revenues will be a little short this year. Five birds= great idea. JMO. :thumbsup:

You are correct. What brings many Out of State hunters to the Dakotas in October and even early November is the fact that their hunting seasons have not opened yet.

December is a prime month for many mid-state and Southern state hunters to hunt birds and deer in their own state. Majority are planning the 2010 SD hunt and even a no limit clause would only bring back those that are already planning to return in December OR those few people with unlimited financial resources to fly in for a couple days.

You are correct. What brings many Out of State hunters to the Dakotas in October and even early November is the fact that their hunting seasons have not opened yet.

December is a prime month for many mid-state and Southern state hunters to hunt birds and deer in their own state. Majority are planning the 2010 SD hunt and even a no limit clause would only bring back those that are already planning to return in December OR those few people with unlimited financial resources to fly in for a couple days.

Another good point Brittman on the out-of-staters seasons. Right now I am mainly getting interest in 2010 hunts and not end of season hunts although personally I think the value of our late season hunts will be exceptional considering the sliding rate schedule (of which most of my landowners are not crazy about and can have a take-it-or-leave it attitude). Along those lines, most hunters coming late season do not or will not pay rates attactive to landowners to open up their land or frankly deal with hunters.

I see a big advantage for the SD resident pheasant hunter and that is good. end of season is a great time for SD resident pheasant hunting.

U-guide---I would bet most of your late season hunters are pretty devoted enthusiasts, not driving down the road guns ablazin' out the window.

U-Betcha Uncle Buck, late season brings out the Hunters and the Shooters stay home. Heartier sportsmen prevail late season (at least the out-of-staters).

Just got off the phone with a guy that moved to only hunting the state in Dec. now.

Here's the poop from the SD GF&P Commission web site.
http://www.sdgfp.info/Commission/Proposals/Notice3.pdf

I emailed them and am on record as Opposed to the limit increase. I can absolutely not see the need, and feel this issue is being pushed by the commercial hunting operations in an attempt to get hunters out here in Dec. that maybe cancelled earlier hunts due to the conditions. Ain't going to work for all the reasons already sited by you guys above.

Our group of 5 is coming out to SD only if they go to the 5 bird limit. 30 more birds for 3 days of hunting makes it worth the drive for us.

Our group of 5 is coming out to SD only if they go to the 5 bird limit. 30 more birds for 3 days of hunting makes it worth the drive for us.

I guess I do not get it. 2 more birds makes the difference between hunting or not? I have been out 8 days this year and got less than 3 birds. It was still as fun as the days I shot 3. If you want bird numbers go to a preserve and shoot 15.

moellermd,

I'll try and go slow so you can "get it". Our drive to SD is 12 hours. We hunt very good private land. Pay $150.00 per gun per day. Our hunt time to limit out is around 4 hours for late season. By us shooting an extra 10 birds per day as a group, that extends our hunting time per day by a couple more hours. We feel it is worth it to hunt "all day" and get our monies worth.
We enjoy the challenge of wild pheasants. I don't like having to literally kick up a pen raised bird.

moellermd,

I'll try and go slow so you can "get it". Our drive to SD is 12 hours. We hunt very good private land. Pay $150.00 per gun per day. Our hunt time to limit out is around 4 hours for late season. By us shooting an extra 10 birds per day as a group, that extends our hunting time per day by a couple more hours. We feel it is worth it to hunt "all day" and get our monies worth.
We enjoy the challenge of wild pheasants. I don't like having to literally kick up a pen raised bird.

If it is truly about the hunt time go hunt public ground and save the $150. That way you probably can hunt longer. To say that you are not going hunting unless you can shoot 5 birds indicates to me it is all about the body count.

If I want to hunt all day for a rooster or two I can do that here in Illinois where there is not many birds. We go to SD for the bird numbers. Period. No different than a Wisconsin Deer hunter going to Alberta, Canada to shoot a bigger buck when there is thousands of deer in his back yard. Its an expensive and time consuming trip from Il to SD. So to repeat, for us, 30 more Roosters makes the trip worth it. Not going if it stays at 3 per day. To each his own.

Well Not being from SD I don't realy have a big say in what you fellas do out there, may never go back, as long as I can get birds and have fun here, but I am a land owner, grew up on a farm when the gov. hand outs did not exist the way they do now. My family still farms, have gotten bigger,I am well aware of what some farmers get for gov. checks. I am talking about my own family here. We would walk a road ditch here and there and so did the neighbor. Didn't matter. What we considered a road hunter was someone that just drove around a shot birds out the window. Many never had a dog. Thats a road hunter in my opinion. Some one that can't physicaly walk big areas or is limmited on time for the day that wants to get out and walk a right of way that all our tax dollars pay for should never never have those rights taken away "un American". If that is the case all the people recieving my $ or all the other tax payers $ accross the US of A, should have to let them on their paid for set aside acres they are recieving tax $ for. Why should everyone else pay for somthing they can't use, and then settle for having walking rights of way stripped from them that thetax payers all pay for, weather it be gas tx income whatever. at least here when I go to fleet farm and stand in line it is the farmer that pays NO sales tx.

Doesn't hunting good private land kinda defeat the purpose of going for a challenge. If a group of 5 can limit out in 4hrs with any kind of consistency in the late season it makes me wonder where the challenge is.

Last edited:
Doesn't hunting good private land kinda defeat the purpose of going for a challenge. If a group of 5 can limit out in 4hrs with any kind of consistency in the late season it makes me wonder where the challenge is.

For me, having bought a 1/4 section in SD back in 2000 and having it totally set up for wildlife habitat, it simply ensures that when I take time off of work and drive 8 hours, I don't have to worry about someone else having just shown up expecting to hunt the ground I intend to hunt. I also hunt public land over the course of a multi-day hunt, and, other private land that we pay (minimally) to access from the farmer who owns the farmhouse that we stay in. It is easier, obviously, to go shoot a limit of birds on private land vs. public. Some guys object to paying to access land...some guys can't afford to pay to access private land...some guys give fairly spendy gifts to landowners who let them access their private land...some guys hunt public land only....some guys hunt ditches...some guys roadhunt...some guys shoot their birds out of truck windows....as far as I am concerned, as long as you are doing it legally, and safely, enjoy your hunt and if you have a few extra bucks, join Pheasants Forever.

If you have the luxury of hunting midweek, the public vs. private debate changes a bit. And, If you have the luxury of waiting until the last minute to schedule your hunt, that debate changes even more. But, if you are forced to schedule your hunt months in advance, and you want to stack the odds in your favor, going the private land route makes sense. Why else would fisherman go to Canada when they are driving by thousands of decent lakes as they drive North out of the Twin Cities? Seeing large amounts of game is thrilling to many people, myself included. I appreciate a single flush perhaps even more than a 20, 40, or even 100 bird flush, but the big flushes are an experience. Just watching hundreds and hundreds of birds move from the corn into their roosting cover in the late day is something I never get tired of...I still get loopy when I see that!

If more shooting vs. less shooting is what turns you on, by all means plan your hunt accordingly....I think Kansas is at 4 per day. I have taken advantage of the ND rules on a few occassions so I could hunt from 1/2 hour before sunrise, then cross over to SD later in the day and work on my SD limit...yes, it was about increasing time afield (read: more birds!). Bottom line, enjoy your hunt, be safe, and do a little something to preserve this sport.

Last edited:
moellermd,

You seem like the typical eastern shooter to be honest. You drive to shoot lots of birds and that is about it. My question is how long does it take you to eat all those birds?

You seem like the typical eastern shooter to be honest. You drive to shoot lots of birds and that is about it. My question is how long does it take you to eat all those birds?

Are you also suggesting that the residents of SD should only go hunting a few days a year and not put birds in the freezer? How far you drive should not be an indication of what kind of hunter you are---one way or the other.
Tho I live in the pheasant capital of the world and have hunted the past 51 consecutive seasons, I am going to Kansas this weekend for a change of scenery and to confirm that SD is still the greatest!!!!
________
Vapir no2

Last edited:
Back