Sit to flush?

s.davis

Does everyone here sit their dogs to flush/shot?

I never have, was advised against it for the common reason, but am considering it with a 4 year old lab previously allowed to chase (also for the commonly given reasons)

Thoughts? Any hottakes on yes or no to steady/sit a dog to flush and shot?

For safety sake you should at least have full call back control on your pup! Meaning if you don't train him to hup at flush and allow him to mark and maybe chase "a little" make sure you can stop him in his tracks on command!

Guess it depends...

If the bird is a cripple and can run when landing - bird could be long gone by the time your dog arrives.

On the other hand, if two dogs are bent on the retrieve and arrive at the same time...both have a mouthful or a fight ensues.

Young dogs tend to give a flying bird (hen) that hasn't been shot, a good chase. Soon they learn this is a waste of energy.

A bird that is slightly wounded and can coast a long distance has a real advantage over the dog that hasn't been given any command to fetch.

Rambling a bit here; I let my dog go on the shot, assuming I hit the bird!

David0311

Does everyone here sit their dogs to flush/shot?

I never have, was advised against it for the common reason, but am considering it with a 4 year old lab previously allowed to chase (also for the commonly given reasons)

Thoughts? Any hottakes on yes or no to steady/sit a dog to flush and shot?

I don't --some due and I can see doing it both ways--mine however will stop on a dime when told-so I see now need--jmo
They have had so many birds I'm convinced they now know diffence between rooster and a hen and do not show the same interest when a hen is flushed
Plus the will not chase far on a missed bird weather told to or not-though they have surprised me on birds that I did'not think we're hit that were -they act different in that case if I see that -
I'll let them follow up on the bird to a point--AGAIN JUST MY WAY AND OPINION:cheers:

As I stated though I can see the value in both methods-take my opinion for what it's worth--others will differ I'm sure--:cheers:

I don't --some due and I can see doing it both ways--mine however will stop on a dime when told-so I see now need--jmo
They have had so many birds I'm convinced they now know diffence between rooster and a hen and do not show the same interest when a hen is flushed
Plus the will not chase far on a missed bird weather told to or not-though they have surprised me on birds that I did'not think we're hit that were -they act different in that case if I see that -
I'll let them follow up on the bird to a point--AGAIN JUST MY WAY AND OPINION:cheers:

As I stated though I can see the value in both methods-take my opinion for what it's worth--others will differ I'm sure--:cheers:

Hunting wild pheasants i am with you. I like the fact that mine is halfway to the bird by the time it hits the ground. As long as you have control and he is not lunging at the shot I don't see an issue. As was said above a wounded bird can move great distances after being hit, i want a dog there when the shock wears off.

Others have touched on a lot of the pros and cons. It's personal preference, although I don't fully buy the "get on a crippled bird" theory, simple because dogs mark better while sitting than running and a crippled bird requires precision and no wasted time looking in an unproductive area. The other scenario is when the cover is tall and the bird turns mid flight a chasing dog will not see it like a stationary dog.

David0311

Others have touched on a lot of the pros and cons. It's personal preference, although I don't fully buy the "get on a crippled bird" theory, simple because dogs mark better while sitting than running and a crippled bird requires precision and no wasted time looking in an unproductive area. The other scenario is when the cover is tall and the bird turns mid flight a chasing dog will not see it like a stationary dog.

Again everyone has an opinion and their own way-no right or wrong imo-

However in the situation you describe--of the bird changing direction when the dog can't see it --or a bird that goes down that the dog never did see--I simply stop the dog and handle him/her to the new/proper location-problem solved:cheers::

Again everyone has an opinion and their own way-no right or wrong imo-

However in the situation you describe--of the bird changing direction when the dog can't see it --or a bird that goes down that the dog never did see--I simply stop the dog and handle him/her to the new/proper location-problem solved:cheers::

I'm not arguing with you, like I said, personal preference. I've been steadying my spaniel and she's doing well. It's fun to have a polished dog that charges in hard, puts the bird up fast, and promptly "hips." And she's retrieved some crippled and wing-tipped chukar with ease. Again, personal preference and I like the path I've chosen.

If you are hunting with a group, say 2 - 3 hunters with retrievers and you hold your dog back, (delayed command) chances are the other dogs will do the retrieving.

However, if your buddy shoots a bird, you should hold your dog back and let the other fellow's dog have the retrieve.

Obviously if you are alone, and you want to hold the dog steady...it isn't a problem.

I'm not a field-trial guy, but assume dogs that participate in trials are trained to hold the dog steady in all circumstances.

Jonny, I can't tell if you're advocating for a dog being steady or not steady in a group hunting setting.

I would think its best, in a group setting, for all dogs to be rock solid steady to avoid fights over (and during) retrieves.

Steady or not...guess it depends on the circumstance, hunt alone? with others?

My Max goes on the gun report, although I can rein him in if he's fairly close and another dog is in hot pursuit of the bird. Often I'm not close to the downed bird, have no idea where it is or who shot it...but the dog knows!

If my buddy (who doesn't have a dog) shoots a bird, Max is on the move to the downed bird vs. telling him to sit/steady. He doesn't take his eyes off the bird-area. Perhaps not very classy, but we don't lose many cripples.

Steady or not...guess it depends on the circumstance, hunt alone? with others?

My Max goes on the gun report, although I can rein him in if he's fairly close and another dog is in hot pursuit of the bird. Often I'm not close to the downed bird, have no idea where it is or who shot it...but the dog knows!

If my buddy (who doesn't have a dog) shoots a bird, Max is on the move to the downed bird vs. telling him to sit/steady. He doesn't take his eyes off the bird-area. Perhaps not very classy, but we don't lose many cripples.

I agree Jon. I want to reduce the chance of losing a cripple any way I can. I remember a bird that sailed for a quarter mile, the dog took off when the bird set his wings. When he got to the spot where the bird landed he then tracked him and brought him back. Maybe he could have done that if I had held him but I love that retrieve and want to give the dog every chance to be succesful.

To answer a few questions, I hunted alone, almost exclusively, on wild pheasants. My dog has excellent recall, and is pretty used to being called off (because I missed a lot this season).

I agree with the ones that say it depends on the situation and who you hunt with. Wild birds, which is what I hunt most of, i want the dog off to the races grabbing the bird when it hits the ground. If you are on a preserve hunt, I would rather the dog sit to wing and shot. I have one that does, one that doesnt. The one that does, I use to guide on preserve hunts or when hunting with a big group. The other, is a better hunting dog because shes older, but she doesnt lose many cripples in the field. The one that sits doesnt lose many in the wild field either but she loses more than the one that is right on em in flight. Both are excellent retrievers. Dont know if im gonna train my pup to do it or not. Cant decide.

I agree with the ones that say it depends on the situation and who you hunt with. Wild birds, which is what I hunt most of, i want the dog off to the races grabbing the bird when it hits the ground. If you are on a preserve hunt, I would rather the dog sit to wing and shot. I have one that does, one that doesnt. The one that does, I use to guide on preserve hunts or when hunting with a big group. The other, is a better hunting dog because shes older, but she doesnt lose many cripples in the field. The one that sits doesnt lose many in the wild field either but she loses more than the one that is right on em in flight. Both are excellent retrievers. Dont know if im gonna train my pup to do it or not. Cant decide.

Do you think this is because the one that breaks is older and more experienced? It's a big factor.

Let me throw one more thing out there. Dog safety. A dog that chases is a dog that may jump after a low flying bird. We have all seen the dog that jumps after a bird on tv and it looks cool but I cringe at someone taking a shot as the dog leaps after the bird. My dog is steady but will release on his name, whether that is right after the flush or when the dead bird hits the ground. I would rather lose a wounded bird than my wounded dog.

Just one more opinion for the mix. :cheers:

100% steady for me. Flush wing and shot. Never will go back to the past. Been there. I have 0 issues coming up with birds down. Much safer for the dog by far. Dog is not chasing hens across the field when a rooster is headed the other way. If you shoot more then one bird the dog can take multiple marks, and retrieve them all. If it can not take out a runner, sell it or give it away :D. You can shoot at every bird and not worry about taking the dogs head off. If you hunt with a stranger, who knows what stupid things they do until you hunt with them. I let them chase for my whole life until I started field trials. Now absolutely will always have steady dogs.:thumbsup:

I really admire a well trained dog, but mine are pretty wild and do as they please. :laugh:

What I have seen is people who trial only, or primarily trial spaniels, prefer completely steady dogs. Obviously to trial a spaniel the dog needs to be completely steady.

People who don't trial, or primarily hunt with spaniels, are much less likely to prefer and train to the level of completely steady. I don't trial, but I steadied my springer up this spring. I am not sure which I will prefer, or if I will prefer a dog steady to wing and shot.

Back