Shotgun shells

Campbell76

Just wonder with all the shotun shells out there. What shotgun shell is your go to shot shell. Lately i have been using Federal Premium Prairie Storm. Also what size shot does everyone shoot 4,5,6 ,7.5s. 2 3/4in, 3in,3 1/2in. Late season for some reason my dad makes me shoot 3in. I dont care but sometimes its like why do i have to shoot the 3in. Then again his 30yr old A5 cant shoot 3in. Opinions??

I think I depends a lot on they style that you like to hunt. I hunt with GSP's in small groups and many of the shots I get are very close. In my 20 gauge a 2 3/4 " 7.5 usually gets it done when they're close and I load my second barrel with a 3" #5 in case the shot is a little longer. Having the first shot being a 7.5 is nice if quail get up too. That's what gives me confidence anyway...

I used to overthink it. Light loads of 6's early season in open chokes, heavy loads of 4's or 5's late, tighter choke. Windy days went one way. Overcast cold days another, etc, etc. Just as soon as I was loaded for long range, they'd jump at my feet. Or if I was ready for close in birds, they'd jump a ways out.

Now its simple, 1 3/8 oz of 5's, typically Golden Pheasants, out of a modified choke in the Beretta no matter the conditions.

I used to do the same thing. Now I shoot 5's all the time, usually Federal PF 1 1/4 oz. Faster then they need to be (in my opinion), but the copper plated shot keeps the feathers from being drawn through the flesh.

When I was younger it used to be 4's all the time, but now I feel the 5's do the job and provide a fuller pattern.

Campbell, I've grown up shooting the cheapest thing out there. A few years back the local Sportsman's Warehouse closed and I happened to be there about a week before the doors closed to find that the 12 ga shells were gone but the 20's were all still there. I bought 43 boxes of higher quality loads at 30% off. I got Winchester Super Pheasant #5's, Federal Premium #6's, and Kent Fast Lead #6's. I really can't tell the difference. If I'm on, they're dead in the air! If I'm not, they cost me double and I still watch too many fly off. I tell folks it's so I can stay in the field with the dogs longer????? All of these are 1oz loads by the way! I think the way to make shells cheaper is to spend some time on the clay range before season. Unfortunately, I rarely take my own advice. Good hunting!

1 1/8oz high velocity #5. That matchup patterns the best out of my guin, and I never find pellets in the meat. They tear uop the meat way less than my 6 or 7.5 reloads.

90 percent of the pheasants I shot last year was with 12 ga. #8s or 7.5s. that's bc 90 percent of the pheasants I killed was when I was quail hunting.

6 shot for pheasant. 8s or 7.5 for quail or when there may be both encountered. I don't get into all the hype about prairie storm this and that. I shoot whats on sale or what I dig up around the house. I have so many shotgun shells I doubt seriously I will have to buy another box before I die.

6 shot for pheasant. 8s or 7.5 for quail or when there may be both encountered. I don't get into all the hype about prairie storm this and that. I shoot whats on sale or what I dig up around the house. I have so many shotgun shells I doubt seriously I will have to buy another box before I die.

If you're anything like me, you'll buy more anyway... :laugh:

I like winchester 1 1/4oz #5. I probably still have nearly a case of them, but if I buy more, they will be the same. IC choke all season long for all game and all shells.

Last edited:
Kent Fast Lead in 5's or 6's. 20ga 1oz. for the most part. I carry some 1oz 7.5's in my shell loops for quail. I prefer my O/U right now, but my 390 has a lot of bodies on it.

I buy the cheapest. Never been let down. Was at Cabelas this week and Estate shells, which previously were the cheapest, are now $16.95 for a box of 12 ga., higher than a name brand next to them on the shelf. I bought a box of Rio and a box of Herter, both about $7 - $8 with tax and will try them for the first time this season.

Just wonder with all the shotun shells out there. What shotgun shell is your go to shot shell. Lately i have been using Federal Premium Prairie Storm. Also what size shot does everyone shoot 4,5,6 ,7.5s. 2 3/4in, 3in,3 1/2in. Late season for some reason my dad makes me shoot 3in. I dont care but sometimes its like why do i have to shoot the 3in. Then again his 30yr old A5 cant shoot 3in. Opinions??

Campbell, one thing you should understand about the Prairie Storm shells is that they contain a Flitestopper wad. This wad has no slits in it thus keeping the shot together in a tighter pattern for a longer period. If you are shooting a Modified choke the Prairie Storms will probably pattern more like a Full choke. In the past 20 years or so I have seen pheasant hunters, in general, going with more open chokes and finding out they work better. It seems to me that the Prairie Storms go against this thinking. My opinion, from 57 years of pheasant hunting,is that you don't need to spend the money on shells like Prairie Storm. If you are shooting a 12 ga. then any decent 2 3/4" shell with 1 1/4 oz. of #5 or #6 shot will work just fine. There is absolutely no need to shoot 3" or 3.5" shells for pheasants. If you can't kill pheasants with 1 1/4 oz. of shot out of a 12 ga. it's not the shell's fault. Bigger, more expensive shells will NOT make you a better shot.

As I've stated before on this site, I shoot an A5 SweetSixteen with 1 1/8 oz. of #6 shot out of an Improved Cylinder choke and I kill more roosters than most of the guys I hunt with that are using 12's.

shot

never did meet a pheasant that cared what kinda shot was used. shot size as much as anything should be matched to the bore of the gun. it is a rare pheasant that is killed beyond a true 40 yds. and at that range or less, 7.5's will do in the smaller guns but might be a few too many pellets in the larger guns. density is what you should be looking for. as i roll my own, i have my 7.5's in my 28 ga. going about 1600 fps and i do pretty well with it. hitting the bird is far more important than heavy loads and multiple hits are more important than hoping for a heavy pellet to do the job. it only takes about 3 foot pounds of energy to kill a pheasant and the energy delivered to the body from the pellets are cumulative. pattern is more effective than pure energy. also smaller shot gives you a better chance should a quail get in the way. whatever, have fun

cheers

If you're anything like me, you'll buy more anyway... :laugh:

I like winchester 1 1/4oz #5. I probably still have nearly a case of them, but if I buy more, they will be the same. IC choke all season long for all game and all shells.

Oh I can almost guarantee I will be adding to to the count this year. :cheers:

Been shooting Nitro Ph loads that are 2 3/4in #5 shot thru Imp Cyl choke all season long execpt if in Quail country when I switch my first load to a 7.5 shot high brass.

Kick'em Up!

Been shooting Nitro Ph loads that are 2 3/4in #5 shot thru Imp Cyl choke all season long execpt if in Quail country when I switch my first load to a 7.5 shot high brass.

Kick'em Up!

That's me. I shoot improved all season. Not a big prarie storm fan. I bought a couple boxes when they first came out. Lot of fun out of a BUL:eek:. If I shot over pointers all day, I would probably be in the #6 or 7.5 range. I typically shoot #5's behind a flusher.

Back