Shotgun Recommendations

badgers21

I'm in the market for a new shotgun to use for Pheasant, Duck and Geese. My budget is around $1000 - what would you recommend for a versatile gun to hunt both upland and waterfowl?

I like double barreled guns because you can put a different choke and a different shell in each barrel. Your first shot can be with a more open choke and smaller shot; the second shot through a tighter choke with more range and punch and maybe larger shot. Double barreled guns also carry lighter because they are considerably shorter than autos or pumps. You should be able to find a very decent used gun in your price range and a pretty nice new gun too.

Any preference as to what type of action? Pump, Semi-Automatic or other?

I'm assuming you might be interested in a Autoloader.

I'm pretty partial to Beretta's myself, I've owned and shot several models for the past 27 years. Most popular and durable semi's on the market IMO.

Here are a few that may interest you.

If you can find them (best deal out there for under $700) Beretta 3901, either in standard synthetic or wood version (Statesman). Best deal on the market for an autoloader. A basic design based on the old A390.
Super easy to break down and clean. Check online dealers for availability.

• Beretta A391 Urika2 - now discontinued as of 2011, some still available new and used for good deals.
  • Beretta A391 Xtrema2 - Also discontinued as of 2011. Some still available new and used at gun dealers. Great waterfowl gun, 3.5" capable.
  • Beretta A400 Unico or Xtreme - Beretta's newest autoloader that is the replacement for both the Urika2 and Xtrema2. It's going to be a tad more than $1000, but will be a one gun do all. Light weight. 3.5" capable

You may also look into Franchi which is owned by Beretta as they are sure to have something in your price range.

I guess you can tell I'm partial to Beretta's, but for good reason. :thumbsup:

Whoops... almost forgot another basic autoloader that Beretta just released this year. This might be your best bet for under $1000. Beretta A300 Outlander : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTIGeoZ82FY

Last edited:
new gun

You might consider a Benelli M2 Field from Dick's at about $900. My son and I each bought one this past year. Really great inertia driven auto for the price, imo.

I think a Browning Maxus or Winchester SX3 in 12 Ga would be ideal for your intentions in the $1000 range. A nice carrying weight of around 7 lbs, and the best recoil-reduction of any gas autoloaders.The black composite stock and matte blue barrels would hide fine for waterfowl, and not be out-of-place hunting pheasants.

Unless you absolutely need a 3 1/2" chamber, get a 3" gun.

I like double barreled guns because you can put a different choke and a different shell in each barrel. Your first shot can be with a more open choke and smaller shot; the second shot through a tighter choke with more range and punch and maybe larger shot. Double barreled guns also carry lighter because they are considerably shorter than autos or pumps. You should be able to find a very decent used gun in your price range and a pretty nice new gun too.

What he said!!

"B" Gun

If you want an auto, get a "B" gun- Benelli or Beretta. Many different models, something to suit everybody. These are proven designs.

There is a reason those two are the most popular autoloaders. There are a bunch of new name, cheaper autos on the market now. And some of them are nothing but trouble, so I've been told by folks who bot them.

NB

Last edited:
A Remington 870, Browning Pump, or Winchester Model 12, can all be excellent choices, although not as 'trendy' as the new automatics and over/unders. The guns here are reliable, shoot as well as any other gun, and take tons of abuse and keep going. There is absolutely nothing about the guns listed by the others that is either wrong or not appealing, but a good pump has been the mainstay of countless hunters for over 100 years. OK. I'm from the 'old school', but I just don't understand why my fancy gun in camo has to match the camo on my huntin' pants?

Benilli Montefeltro I've had one for 3 years now, 3-4000 rounds thru it and it has never jammed. Light, good looking, and tough. Love it.

benelli Montefeltro on sale

Just got the Gander flyer in the mail. The Benelli mentioned in the previous post is on sale there. Just lettin' you know.

I think a Browning Maxus or Winchester SX3 in 12 Ga would be ideal for your intentions in the $1000 range. A nice carrying weight of around 7 lbs, and the best recoil-reduction of any gas autoloaders.The black composite stock and matte blue barrels would hide fine for waterfowl, and not be out-of-place hunting pheasants.

Unless you absolutely need a 3 1/2" chamber, get a 3" gun.

I am extremely happy with my Maxus. Performed well last week taking limits of dove.

All of the above are good options, I don't think you could go wrong with any of them. I bought a Benelli M-2 a while back to hunt waterfowl over decoys, and now that is all I shoot. The mod. choke tube comes out once a year to clean the threads.....about it. I own a beretta 391 and 390, great guns.

If you could get a hold of a few to shoot, one gun, whatever brand it happens to be, will speak to you.
Good luck, and happy hunting.:thumbsup:

There is a pile of my family and close friends that all shoot Beretta 391's. Zero issues. I wouldn't feel handicapped with a Benelli of some flavor either.

Before dad, bro in law, and myself bought our 391's in 2003, we went to Michael Murphy and Sons in Augusta, Kansas, rented both Beretta's and Benelli's. Shot some 5-stand with both guns. Our preference (again, just personal preference) was to the Beretta's. If you can find a place that will loan or rent you the guns, go shoot them and see what one you like. Or find a range that some other shooters will let you shoot their guns.

If you want an auto, get a "B" gun- Benelli or Beretta. Many different models, something to suit everybody. These are proven designs.

There is a reason those two are the most popular autoloaders. There are a bunch of new name, cheaper autos on the market now. And some of them are nothing but trouble, so I've been told by folks who bot them.

NB

You're missing one of the "B" guns...Browning. I have had host of Benelli's and my Browning Maxus shoots circles around them. I have three sons; two shoot SBE2's and one shoots the new Beretta. Before the end of the day, the two SBE boys are wanting my Maxus as their shoulders are smoked.

One important question to the OP relative to a scattergun selection might be...are you going to be shooting enough pheasants, ducks and geese with enough heavy loads to ever "smoke" a shoulder?
Or, is steel even required and could other non-tox be in the economical mix at the levels shot?
And, what will be the principle use for the gun and the particulars under which it will be used?

I had two 391s...good gas guns with a O/U-like feel to the forend.
Trigger groups required a D8 to remove and they liked to be run wet and dirtied up quickly with no loss of function but ...good guns.
Pheasants as a first go with the occassional duck or goose or turkey finds the 12 BUL swell, at about 6 3/4# loaded...recoil is fine for most shooting days.
But, I would wager a fresh donut that the OP would be happiest with any 7#-7 1/2# semi-auto that has a bulk that fits his hands, a balance that fits his shooting and a look that fits his sense of esthetics...hit the trifecta and Bob's your uncle.

guns

i bought a sbe2 when they first came out. it's been a great gun! if 3 1/2 in shells aren't in play go with the m-2. i took advantage of the drop n cast adjustments in the stock to help tune it in.:cheers:

I like JMc am a browning man and I truely like mine, a lot of guys on here have given you their opinion as to what they like, but you need to find something you like yourself, before you buy one or settle on a particular one see if you can try some of your friends guns, check gun shops, pawn shops and hold a few yourself.
You know if I told the guys what to look for in a wife I would get alot of opinions BUT would it be what I really want or what really SUITs me. Just my 2cents. :) I hope you find one that really works for you.:thumbsup:

Back