SD Promotional Video circa 1950

Kinda made me a little sad. My dad hunted South Dakota back in the soil bank day's. My uncle owned a car dealership in Kansas City, Kansas. My dad used to tell the stories of them driving up to SD in a brand new station wagon. Driving the crap out of it for 5 or 6 days. Bringing it back, get it detailed, then rolling back the odometer and putting it back on the showroom floor. Ah the good old day's. Unfortunately I only got to hunt with him a few times in SD in the late seventies and early eighties.

Looking at the cars, the bus and the North Central Airlines plane I would say this video was shot much later than 1950. More like in the late 60's or early 70's. Regardless, it's a neat video to watch from days gone by.

My guess would be early sixties based on the cars. What's up with the coonskin caps in the beginning?

My guess would be early sixties based on the cars. What's up with the coonskin caps in the beginning?

I would guess that the coon skin caps were worn by local officials (Chamber of Commerce, etc.) probably for promotional purposes.

You might be right about the time being in the early-mid 60's. I was looking at the vehicle with the trunk open. Appears to be a Lincoln Continental and from what I can find on the web I'd say it's a 1963.

That was neat to watch. Thanks for posting.:)

I've heard a lot of good stories from people who hunted back then. Heck, even those who didn't hunt pheasants tell me some amazing stories of bird numbers from that time.

:cheers:

Something from the video you'll never see again: Walking off a plane with your own gun!

I wonder what the Q stands for in John Q. Pheasant?

Nice video. Thanks for posting.

Neat video! It had to be early to mid 60's. That Lincoln Continental is a 1963 or 1964. The same car JFK rode in when he was assassinated.

Noticed the advertising sign in the storefront window that read "license, shells" reminds me of a small diner here in Indiana that would sell hunting license and game bird stamps, we would stop in opening morning and eat breakfast and buy our stamps on the way to hunt, this was 5-10 years past soilbank and I watched the birds decline a little each year:mad:

Back