Roadkill?

Landowners, especially those that have pheasant hunting operations, have been lobbying for years in SD to get road hunting banned. Thus far they have been unsuccessful. I think the GFP Commission understands the value that road hunting brings to the state. If you eliminate road hunting you eliminate a certain block of hunters.

beach, as a South Dakotan I have no problem with you walking some of the road right of ways. It's legal as long as you follow the rules, and you can make an unarmed retrieve on private land. Like has been previously stated, there are a lot of roads that are "minimum maintenance" roads that have good cover. But be warned, there are some landowners out there (mainly those that have pay to hunt operations) that may give you some grief if you are hunting the ditches adjacent to their property. Case in point: During this year's "Resident Only Season", in which you can ony hunt public land or walk-in areas, we were walking a public area and coming out to the road. Several birds flushed and one dropped across the road in the ditch on the other side. The guy takes his dog across the road and into the ditch to look for the bird. Just then the owner of the adjacent land came by and stopped. He asked to see the hunters license (which he has a legal right to do and you must show him) and then proceeded to lecture him for a good 10 minutes. The guy was a total a$$ and didn't even know the regulations. The rest of us finally went up there and told our buddy to walk away. This actually became borderline where we could have called the GFP and filed a harassment complaint. Unfortunately you are going to run into some "dick heads" like this. As long as you know you were legally right in what you did don't argue with them, just walk away. They won't turn you in as they are just blowing smoke.

There is a lot of public land in SD so check that out but if you find a nice right of way go for it.

Dakotazeb,

Great advice and incite. As hunters we all need to use common sense and discretion constantly. It's as if you need to be ON GUARD in the back of your mind.

If one hunter makes a mistake and causes an unnecessary confrontation the "BAD" word travel like wild fire, especially in that local area. It also can get blown out of proportion. Not good! Yet if one of us stop to ask permission, follow all the rules and we are helpful when the opportunity arises it's seldom mentioned.

I grew up farming. When I was about twelve living in SW Wisconsin at this time we had people wanting to hunt all the time. Some would stop and ask, some wouldn't and some would try to sneak in from the back side. Once someone came in from the back side, shot a deer (we found the guts and drag marks) dragged the out the back side, cut the fence and was gone. Now, this is an extreme case. My Dad never forgot that and neither did I. OH, We chased cattle for hours that cold winter day. Back then we didn't have four wheelers.

"It is what it is". No one but the farmer knows what drives them to be the way they are with us in some cases. All we can do is our best.

From the individuals I have met and read on this site it appears we're going in the right direction.

Last edited:
Onpoint is exactly on point

I have stayed out of this conversation till now. But I agree wholeheartdly with Onpoint. I have not ben to S.D. to hunt since the 70's. This commercialization has reached the limit of endurance. First of all the entire state game program seemingly run by the demands and desires of the commercial operators, enabled by callow sportsmen who enable them with their fees. First they treat you like a second class citizen, the 10 day, must be split in two lisence, is one example, staggered start with the locals getting a week or two jump on everybody else, even on WPA, and wiha ground payed for by federal dollars, and your 100.00+ lisence fees. Why would you go there? lots of other places with pheasants. If you care you'll figure it out, I'm not going to tell you. Until S.D. treats non-residents like every other state treats non-residents, with at least a seasonal lisence, they won't get anything from me.

I have stayed out of this conversation till now. But I agree wholeheartdly with Onpoint. I have not ben to S.D. to hunt since the 70's. This commercialization has reached the limit of endurance. First of all the entire state game program seemingly run by the demands and desires of the commercial operators, enabled by callow sportsmen who enable them with their fees. First they treat you like a second class citizen, the 10 day, must be split in two lisence, is one example, staggered start with the locals getting a week or two jump on everybody else, even on WPA, and wiha ground payed for by federal dollars, and your 100.00+ lisence fees. Why would you go there? lots of other places with pheasants. If you care you'll figure it out, I'm not going to tell you. Until S.D. treats non-residents like every other state treats non-residents, with at least a seasonal lisence, they won't get anything from me.

While I can agree and sympathize with you about the commericalization of pheasant hunting. You must look at it from an economically standpoint. Pheasant hunters bring millions of dollars to SD each year. And if you were a land owner wouldn't it be hard to pass up the income that could be generated by charging hunters to hunt? Look, it's not easy for us residents either. I hunt public land probably 75% of the time because I can't get on and will not pay to hunt private land. But I have to disagree with the statement that SD treats non-residents like "second class citizens". You may feel that way but if you haven't been out here since the 70's how would you know? This is big business for SD and what I see is that the state and local businesses do everything possible to provide a positive experience for non-resident hunters. They want you back.

Yes we do have a 10 day non-resident license. This can be split into 2 five day periods or one 10 day period. If you want to hunt more you just have to buy another license. The majority of NR hunters only come once or twice anyway. I know some other states offer a season long license but they don't that the number of pheasants either. North Dakota has followed SD and now has a similar 10 license. Granted a second licnese is another $100 but what's that compared to all the other costs associated with a hunting trip?

I'm certainly not trying to defend everything that SD does. God knows I've had my differences with them but I think your statement about us treating NR hunters as "second class citizens" is uncalled for and inaccurate.

The people of South Dakota in most cases have been nothing short of fantastic to me, just don't ask to hunt Pheasants. It's just a understood fact. you want to hunt pheasants, you will pay in near 100% of private places. Funny thing is, ask to hunt ducks..in many cases they say hunt all you want, just don't shoot any pheasants.

Just think if Minnesota did the same thing with walleye's. We could be the next South Dakota. Charge non residents 150.00 a day and only a 10 day Lic. :eek:

onpoint, SD has some awfully good walleye fishing also. :)

I understand how people feel about the commercialization of pheasant hunting. But what has enabled it and sustained it? The answer is the Non-Resident hunters that keep coming back year after year and are willing to pay these high fees to hunt. It's simple economics: supply and demand. So if there is someone to blame it seems to me it's the NR hunters that keep it going. I wonder what some of these commercial hunting places would do if the NR's stopped coming or the numbers were reduced by 50%? I'll bet you would see the daily hunting fees reduced drastically.

Goota go, headed out to hunt some public land! :)

Good Luck Zeb, hope you have a enjoyable and successful day. I have no dog in that fight anymore. We will just do our pheasant hunting in Minnesota from now on. $7.50 for a stamp ad go get'em. everybody has a threshold of what your willing to go to keep doing something. Just some of us are showing it and feel our hand was forced.

Good luck everybody. I'm as excited to hunt Minnesota as I would be to hunt South Dakota. Just have to go where a person can afford to. Also, Minnesota doesn't allow ditch/road hunting but you can also gain access to private lands easier.

onpoint, SD has some awfully good walleye fishing also. :)

I understand how people feel about the commercialization of pheasant hunting. But what has enabled it and sustained it? The answer is the Non-Resident hunters that keep coming back year after year and are willing to pay these high fees to hunt. It's simple economics: supply and demand. So if there is someone to blame it seems to me it's the NR hunters that keep it going. I wonder what some of these commercial hunting places would do if the NR's stopped coming or the numbers were reduced by 50%? I'll bet you would see the daily hunting fees reduced drastically.

Goota go, headed out to hunt some public land! :)
I've learned a lot, listening to this thread. I'm one of those NR hunters; have to be--there are no pheasants in North Carolina. On the other hand, if you want to shoot some deer...! Please! But I'm unfortunately not one of the "rich" NR's; we come out there pretty much on a shoestring, as we have done the past several years to NE, where we had a grand time, but shot very few times at very few birds; I thought we'd give SD a try,based on its reputation. Sounds like the birds are there, but access will be dicey. We'll be there in mid-November, so maybe the rush will be over, on public land, WIA, even roads, in the Wagner area; if it works, we'll be back; if not, maybe give Kansas a try. Money talks; I can't fault farmers for using their resources to maximize their income. Wish I was rich!
Beach004

I have a place I own 10 miles from Wagner..Good Luck...from my experience, your going to need it.

Dakotazeb , I am all for anybody that wants to go to S.D. Hopefully it will be entertaining enough, and enough bang for their buck, to keep them going back. Keeps them away from me. As far as begrudging farmers a whole lot of money to shoot game owned by you a me, I do! I am all for them making money, and I work with farmers daily, believe me, I have a very good understanding of the challenges farmers, ( not so much, with grain prices up 50% in three months), and livestock producers, ( enduring most of the hardship), face in the course of business. I don't even oppose reasonable trespass fees, S.D. fees, $100-250 per day, not a chance. As far as second class citizen, I don't know what you are claiming, but I'll tell you, if I can't buy a seasonal license, like every other state in the union, except N.D. which at least has a public access policy/law, and a reciprical licensing agreement with most other states, for youth hunters, etc. , then I am in a different and lower class than you as a resident, of S.D. and a lower class as opposed to any other state, which treats me like everybody else, with the exception of a higher fee, i.e. opening day is opening day, FOR EVERYBODY. But not in Orwellian S.D. Where to paraphrase the book 1984, everyone is equal except pigs, ( in this case S.D. residents), who are more equal than everybody else. Argue and defend all you want, but the fact remains that the Indian Reservations within the borders of South Dakota treat a non resident better than the State of S.D. So I say, when you have to go to the Indians to get closer to a democractic principle, (for all practicality a foreign country) something is wrong. That's why I haven't been back. Did you hunt in the 60's and 70's in S.D. ? things have changed, and not for the best. Trip to S.D. is now a status symbol, to wow the ignorant with tales of the mighty hunters. No more or less important than that round of golf at Augusta National, or wintering in the Cayman's, or going to Argentina to shoot doves. Just one old hunters opinion.

Good Luck Zeb, hope you have a enjoyable and successful day. I have no dog in that fight anymore. We will just do our pheasant hunting in Minnesota from now on. $7.50 for a stamp ad go get'em. everybody has a threshold of what your willing to go to keep doing something. Just some of us are showing it and feel our hand was forced.

Good luck everybody. I'm as excited to hunt Minnesota as I would be to hunt South Dakota. Just have to go where a person can afford to. Also, Minnesota doesn't allow ditch/road hunting but you can also gain access to private lands easier.

I will be hunting in Minnesota for 3-4 days next week. Annual trek back to hunt with some old high school buddies.

By the way, I'm back from today's hunt already (2:30 PM) Went to a small public area, got there about 11:30 and was waiting for the noon opener. A pickup pulled up with a guy and his teenage son from Minnesota so I invited them to hunt with me. In less than an hour and a half we had 5 roosters. My dogs pointed them all. We saw quite a few more and with a little luck could of had our limit. Now that's maybe not a typical public land hunt but it's not all that uncommon either. It was hot and I had my limit so I headed home. I offered them my birds and they took one so they had one limit. They didn't want anymore so they could continue to hunt yet today.

I will be hunting in Minnesota for 3-4 days next week. Annual trek back to hunt with some old high school buddies.

By the way, I'm back from today's hunt already (2:30 PM) Went to a small public area, got there about 11:30 and was waiting for the noon opener. A pickup pulled up with a guy and his teenage son from Minnesota so I invited them to hunt with me. In less than an hour and a half we had 5 roosters. My dogs pointed them all. We saw quite a few more and with a little luck could of had our limit. Now that's maybe not a typical public land hunt but it's not all that uncommon either. It was hot and I had my limit so I headed home. I offered them my birds and they took one so they had one limit. They didn't want anymore so they could continue to hunt yet today.

Maybe one day I'll be lucky to run into you at a public place in SD and we could hunt together. Sounds like a nice short trip and the dogs got some good action. It's great to hear everyone else's stories from the field while I'm waiting!

Awesome DZ, mighty nice of you to extend your hand to a fellow hunter and non-resident, to hunt with you and your dog. Again Kudos to you!

Oldandnew, I see and feel the pain of many of your point also.

Last edited:
Dad and brother just got back today from Winner area, had a great hunt. Got the oppertunity to hunt same land as Kevin Costner. Wow what a treat if they could have actually hunt with him, they saw him but it was a private party.

Awesome DZ, mighty nice of you to extend your hand to a fellow hunter and non-resident, to hunt with you and your dog. Again Kudos to you!

There is nothing I love more than hunting pheasants with my dogs and I feel truly blessed to live out here in South Dakota. I can drive a few miles, find land to hunt and sometimes have a great day like today. And I was really glad to be able to share it with this guy and his son. They had a slow moving over weight Lab that wasn't producing much for them. After watching my dogs work I think they might be looking for a Brittany when they get back to Minnesota.

One bird today I dropped about 70-80 yards out in a slough in open water. I only winged it and the darn bird actually was swimming. My young Brittany loves water so she dove in, swam it down and made a nice retrieve. And that was after she made a great point on the bird. I was 100 yards from her when I saw her lock up. She held steady until I got there and flushed the bird. Damn! It just doesn't get any better than that. :D

There is nothing I love more than hunting pheasants with my dogs and I feel truly blessed to live out here in South Dakota. I can drive a few miles, find land to hunt and sometimes have a great day like today. And I was really glad to be able to share it with this guy and his son. They had a slow moving over weight Lab that wasn't producing much for them. After watching my dogs work I think they might be looking for a Brittany when they get back to Minnesota.

One bird today I dropped about 70-80 yards out in a slough in open water. I only winged it and the darn bird actually was swimming. My young Brittany loves water so she dove in, swam it down and made a nice retrieve. And that was after she made a great point on the bird. I was 100 yards from her when I saw her lock up. She held steady until I got there and flushed the bird. Damn! It just doesn't get any better than that. :D

Sweet story..got to love those days when the dog does everything just right. great memories right there. I'm spoiled, besides owning a 150 acres of our own land in northern Minnesota. Have a small place in Sodak on a lake. We have literally 100s of 1000s of acres of state and county land open to the public here in Minnesota. I can go 20 miles in all directions and hardly cross a piece of private land if I don't want to. I never have to ask to hunt. Not many if any other state offers that kind of opportunity. Kind of feel suppressed when I go where I have to fight for a spot.

Stu,
You should read my whole post. The last line was not my personal view, but the view of some......not on this forum.

Timbuk2, I just felt your last sentence implied you felt that way. I totally understand anyone can feel that way given the amount of knuckle heads out there doing it unethically.

NCpheasants--My dad tries to go mid-week as to not see people, he would never pass shoot by drivers/blockers, he likes to find a quite spot to sit at the end if the day where he's seen birds coming out of corn and enjoy the afternoon and maybe shoot a couple of birds. He is the type of guy who hunts the farthest away from anyone so not to screw them or himself self up. I agree with you about the people who just jump out of the truck, and screw the people on the land hunting, bad form!

Stu- Your dad sounds like my kind of hunter. You guys are welcome to come by and hunt with us anytime. Your Dad can help my dad hold down the polaris ranger and block at the right times. Good hunting to you and your dad. Have a great season.

ncpheasants-- My dad would love that! He's quite the story teller after the hunt, most of it is even true! We will be in Hand county in mid-Nov. Everyone who meets him thinks he's a "character", he is a retired Railroader. Thanks for your response, good luck!

Back