Roadkill?

A lot of times those big operations are watching. Other times they are not. A few years ago we had made plans to hook up with some friends at their old family homestead. Across the road is a big hunting operation. Our friends were not due until about 2:00 PM and so we had from noon on to ourselves and planned to hunt a couple roads. The two track in front of the old homestead dead ended into a railroad track and we were going to walk down there and back. Two minutes before noon a suburban comes flying around the corner, and down the road 100 yards from us. they all pile out and spreadout to hunt the road. It had to have been obvious we were going to hunt the same road. A while later, while with our friends, we're back at the vehicle and that gang is at theirs letting their dogs run. Of course, the dogs were running on the hunt clubs property and started putting up birds. Then they join the and there's bird going everywhere. They no sooner come out, load up and leave and a group from the hunt club comes to hunt that patch. Of course, not one bird put up as they had all been chased out. One of their gang remarked to me that they had never been skunked in that spot. I told him why this time and boy were they mad. As I was too, but the rudeness and idiocy that other group had displayed. And then we wonder why some landowners are protective.

Like onpoint and Dakotazeb say.....just know what you are doing if your going to road hunt. If you are around a pheasant ranch or preserve, they know you are there as soon as you turn down the road. If they haven't sent a truck after you, rest assured you are probably being glassed. Just follow the rules. Stay away from the cattle, farm homes and schools. If a confrontation does arise, just walk away. I think most of us residents that have road hunted have had these encounters to a degree.
Uhhhh...Timbuk2 and Ranger Rick, maybe it's just out-of-state-me, but I'm not feeling real warm and comfortable with what you describe. I don't hunt to see which local landowner I can generate a confrontation with. I think I'll look harder for public and WIA land, and leave the roads to the young and the reckless.
Beach004

Last edited:
Uhhhh...Timbuk2 and Ranger Rick, maybe it's just out-of-state-me, but I'm not feeling real warm and comfortable with what you describe. I don't hunt to see which local landowner I can generate a confrontation with. I think I'll look harder for public and WIA land, and leave the roads to the young and the reckless.
Beach004

Beach, I think we all may have painted the wrong picture. These type of confrntations are rare, but they do happen. We weren't trying scare you into not hunting right of ways. I think we just wanted you to be aware of the possibilities that are out there. As long as you aren't doing anything illegal you have nothing to worry about.

Sorry Beach, Dakotazeb is right. After reading our posts, it does sound pretty bleak. Like he said though, these are just some things to be aware of. The biggest thing is to stay away from the cattle, horses and farmsteads. Otherwise, have at it. Just follow the rules, and you will be fine. Don't let the few bad experiences push you away from road hunting. There are plenty of roads to hunt, and most farmers don't care.

Beach, Like the others said, maybe our posts made it seem like it's a tough thing to do, but I've only had that one confrontation over many days in the field. Some landowners are protective and they may have good reason to. That's why I told that story, to make the point to be respectful of others. Too bad on that one occasion some slobs came along and made a bad name for hunters everywhere.

We have permission to hunt two farms. The landowner knows us to be a safe bunch and he doesn't have to worry. He's had his house shot, fences torn down and if we're there he says he doesn't have to worry about guys knocking on his door.

I've hunted roads a lot, have worn some boot leather and had some great hunts. You shouldn't be afraid to do the same.

Legal and OK if you do it right otherwise DUCK!

I have hunted SD for 10 years and I love to road hunt when I need to pick up one more bird or I am alone with just my dog. I run the ditches and fence lines. HOWEVER, I also have had some serious arguements with road hunters when they were illegally hunting next to fields that our group was in. See road hunting is seen as the redheaded step-child of pheasant hunters in SD. Why ? Property owners hate them for firing too close to livestock and buildings, and hunters in the field hate them because many times road hunters practice VERY unethical and illegal hunting practices. I can not tell you how many times I have made a push on a kosha or cane field in SD walking and working hard for a hour only to have the road filled with roadhunters waiting to see what we flush and if any fly over the road. This practice is not only dangerous, but unethical, and ILLEGAL. Most of these road hunters don't read the SD regs book too well. But the bird must originate from the right of way or be flying over the right of way when it is taken. It can be taken over adjacent land only when it has crossed a right-of-way or originated from the right-of-way. You may not shot at a bird that you believe will but has not yet crossed the right-of-way. This is by the letter of the law. SD also has lots of laws about where the vehicle must be on the road, and engine off and doors closed, and gun loaded only after exiting the vehicle. These laws were passed to help stop the "stop and pop" road hunters. But very seldom do they get caught. If you are safe and stay 660 feet from houses and schools and livestock and you are walking the ditches and fence lines you should be fine. But be on the lookout for hunters in the field. It may be legal to take that bird they flushed but missed but is it right? In my opinion No, and I have seen MANY of fights started and when tempers flare and there are loaded guns it is the makins for a bad day. Be respectful and if a ranchers stops and asks you to leave the area, smile and do it, too much land out there to be hunted to step on toes. I have been road hunting in Tripp Co. before and a rancher stopped and asked me if I knew the laws on road hunting and I explained them to him he smiled and thanked me, we ended up striking up a conversation and I was invited to hunt his posted property free of charge. I still hunt with him today. I carry him a case of Mt. Olive pickles as payment. Our group just got back and had a great hunt LOTS of birds. A little hot though. Good Luck and Aim true.

Like onpoint and Dakotazeb say.....just know what you are doing if your going to road hunt. If you are around a pheasant ranch or preserve, they know you are there as soon as you turn down the road. If they haven't sent a truck after you, rest assured you are probably being glassed. Just follow the rules. Stay away from the cattle, farm homes and schools. If a confrontation does arise, just walk away. I think most of us residents that have road hunted have had these encounters to a degree. Oh, and if you are going to be in the Pierre area, watch out for one bull in a pen every 660 feet........very convenient :rolleyes:

I just love those perserve guys they make hunting fun for everyone. We hunted a ranch near a perserve once and the perserve guy was all over us every second. He sent a guy out on a four wheeler to follow us all day. Finally, we ended up hunting right across from where their guys were hunting but on our land and our birds got up and flew right over their guys heads, they blasted away killing 3 of the birds then they got up and made a big show of it laughing and carrying on and showing and taunting us with the birds they shot. Not ten minutes later we were standing around talking when their guys pushed the milo strip out and got up 75 cocks they all fired and missed, not one feather fell. Our guys watched as those birds were saluted and when they flew over our head we opened fire on them and bagged the final 10 birds we needed for limit. The perserve guys got mad as heck with us and we simply stated turn around was fair game. Now I don't condon this behavior but it sure felt good to give them some of their own.

Last edited:
I just love those perserve guys they make hunting fun for everyone. We hunted a ranch near a perserve once and they perserve guy was all over us every second. He sent a guy out on a four wheeler to follow us all day. Finally, we ended up hunting right across from where their guys were hunting and but on our land and our birds got up and flew right over their guys heads, they blasted away killing 3 of the birds we got up and made a big show of it laughing and carrying on and showing and taunting us with the birds they shot. Not ten minutes later we were standing around talking when their guys pushed the milo strip out and got up 75 cocks they all fired and missed, not one feather fell. Our guys watched as those birds were saluted and when they flew over our head we opened fire on them and bagged the final 10 birds we needed for limit. The perserve guys got mad as heck with us and we simply stated turn around was fair game. Now I don't condon this behavior but it sure felt good to give them some of their own.

A bird in hand is worth two in the bush..LOL I love it

Pickled!

I carry him a case of Mt. Olive pickles as payment. Our group just got back and had a great hunt LOTS of birds. A little hot though. Good Luck and Aim true.
Mt. Olive pickles! From the corner of Cucumber and Vine streets in eastern NC--I know it well! Thanks for the advice; we've got another month to absorb some learning; I'll write the results up on our return, hopefully with great stories of our own.
Beach004

Mt. Olive pickles! From the corner of Cucumber and Vine streets in eastern NC--I know it well! Thanks for the advice; we've got another month to absorb some learning; I'll write the results up on our return, hopefully with great stories of our own.
Beach004

Yep, that's my home town

I agree with ncpheasant.......to a degree. However, if a guide doesn't post blockers on the end of a field, and he pushes the field to the road......i don't see this as the road hunter being in the wrong. I see this as a bad pheasant hunting guide being in the wrong. If they don't want anyone else shooting "their" pheasants, then maybe a different strategy should be used....Yes, their are bad apples out there, but that is with everything, everywhere. Not just road hunters. My .02....because road hunters will ALWAYS get the bad rap around preserves and ranches......always

I have not pass shot pheasants personally, but if someone is doing it legal, that is their choice.....as aggravating and irritating as it may be.

Last edited:
I do agree with timbuk2. No blockers is very bad form. However that said, most of the time I have seen these roadhunters come up with the blockers in place and they just don't care. To me that is VERY bad form. I just don't see the sport in it when you let someone else do all the work and you swoop in and take the prize. I would rather anything that gets by my blockers to win that round. And how is it that it is legal for someone to shoot over my head? It's not but I have had it happen to me and my group many times (6 or so) in ten years. Now that is when I get ticked off! and words start flying. If we know the road hunters or "drive bys" as we call 'em are around we will never push a field in the direction of the road. However, due to the layout of the field or the direction of the wind, sometimes we have no other choice or leave that piece for later and come back and get them when the "buzzards" arn't out. I have taken a horse and tied him to the fence line two or three times when it was really bad. But I hate having to play those games. But like I said before, not all of the road hunters are buzzards. I know a 78 year old man that goes to winner, sd every year and road hunts alone with just his lab. He runs the ditches and fences and limits every day. We have often invited him to hunt with us but he just smiles and says that he is fine, but if we need some more accurate fire power he will gladly take us out shooting sporting clays.

I agree with ncpheasant.......to a degree. However, if a guide doesn't post blockers on the end of a field, and he pushes the field to the road......i don't see this as the road hunter being in the wrong. I see this as a bad pheasant hunting guide being in the wrong. If they don't want anyone else shooting "their" pheasants, then maybe a different strategy should be used....Yes, their are bad apples out there, but that is with everything, everywhere. Not just road hunters. My .02....because road hunters will ALWAYS get the bad rap around preserves and ranches......always

I have not pass shot pheasants personally, but if someone is doing it legal, that is their choice.....as aggravating and irritating as it may be.

My dad took up pass shooting for the past two years because he has neuropathy in his legs, he does it safely and legal. He is just happy to be able to get out there and have a chance to shoot some birds. Is this still aggravating and irritating? Some people don't have the option of private land, fields and being able to post/block.

Stu,
You should read my whole post. The last line was not my personal view, but the view of some......not on this forum.

My dad took up pass shooting for the past two years because he has neuropathy in his legs, he does it safely and legal. He is just happy to be able to get out there and have a chance to shoot some birds. Is this still aggravating and irritating? Some people don't have the option of private land, fields and being able to post/block.

i just spent 20 minutes responding to this post- computer timed out and I lost it I will repost tomorrow.

Last edited:
Ncpheasant,
If there are blockers already present, that is a different story.

That's what I was saying Tim, sorry I didn't get it across the first time, I just assumed in those situations we all used blockers, otherwise what a cluster you know that would be.

Well it all depends Stu... What type of hunter is your Dad? Is he the type of guy that will wait for the guys working hard in the field to make it to the end of the row and then kindly approach them and tell them what he's disabilities are and what he would like to do and then assure them that he will not point a shotgun in thier direction? Or is he the guy that comes flying up and yanks the truck off the road right where they are going to come out and gets out and waits for the birds to fly over and without speaking to anyone in the field group just start banging away at the bird once they make the right of way? Because if he is the later then YES it is still irritating and aggravating, I don't care what his disablity is, that is wrong. And my experience with these types of hunters is that even if they do take a safe,legal shot they still point thier shotgun at the bird and wait for it to cross the right of way before they shoot -to line up thier shot, in doing so they are also pointing thier shotgun at any hunters that may be around the bird and that is just unsafe. I don't care what your reason is, if you point a shotgun at me that is BAD FORM. And it is illegal in SD, if you point a gun while hunting and it makes someone feel that thier life is in danger then you are breaking the law. I know you say your dad is taking a safe shot but is he practicing safe hunting? If he is pointing the gun in the direction of hunters to line up his shot then no. The first rule of hunter safety is to keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction at all times. But what about the walkers that don't know your dad is now standing in what may be thier line of fire? Yes I agree, if they take that shot then THEY are unsafe, but how does your dad know how safe those guys in the field are? It's not just about the safety of the guys in the field but also your dad. If he doesn't contact the group, then to me that is just WRONG, legal or not it is wrong. I mean if he came up on a field my group was hunting and told use what was going on and asked if he could pass shoot we would say sure just make sure you are well visable and park the cars out of the way. Might even ask him to join our blockers. It never hurts to be curtious.

As for the "some people don't have the option of private land or to block" I disagree with you on that one completely. You may not have the financial means to afford to pay for private land, but you can ask around and see if anyone will let you hunt some small fields free, and lots of times you will find that most of the folks in SD are kind and will sympathetic to your situation, but even if you are road hunting he can still block, I two man a ditch all the time with a blocker at the end of the ditch run. It's not a lack of options, it's a choice.

Last edited:
Just my two cents, road hunting is caused by what Pheasants hunting has become in South Dakota. The public ground is pushed so much. When people paying big money for non resident Lic, gas, lodging, food, Etc. Then they become the hunter outside looking in every where they go. Many are going to do what it takes to bring home something for their time and efforts. To many freelancers, this may be a once in a lifetime trip. They listen to all the hype, like there are Pheasants so thick in South Dakota. You just throw a rock in the air and a bird will fall from the sky. Then they get there and find putting birds in the game bag, very difficult in many cases.

I myself have had my fill of South Dakota pheasant hunting. We will be hunting pheasants in Minnesota. Then heading to South Dakota and maybe do some waterfowl hunting. I have watched pheasant guides bring all their clients to a big public land area. Watched him get out and direct the hunters where and how to walk it. Then he drives off to meet them later, as he can't legally guide them on public land. It's not enough that they have every single piece of private land posted or leased but then they have to skirt the rules and run their operation on the public land too. I don't feel a bit bad about using their action to benefit myself/hunting party. We were hunting a WPA one time and the farmer next to it, that ran pay hunters on his place(who doesn't out there?) was combining the corn. We had kinda finished pushing the area we were able to hunt. I said lets just sit here and see what he pushes out. He just quit combining for a bit, unless we would leave. My thought was, fine...I have all day....DO YOU?

We will hunt WMA's on the way out to South Dakota and skip the circus act. I don't have the cash to pay 100s a day for 3 birds. Folks can and do do good in SW Minnesota and the greed hasn't struck there like it has across the boarder. Trust me, pheasants don't just magically appear when you see the South Dakota sign. I don't like combat style hunting and competing for my little piece of the pie. I like being left alone, walking quite places and will except what I get. I have seen enough of the birds are MINE!!!! thing.

In Minnesota we sold 129,291 pheasant stamps last year and in 2005, we harvested 586,000 pheasants(most recent numbers I could find right now)

South Dakota had 167,299 of which near 100,000 were non residents, which many if not most own no land. Can you understand why they are ditch hunting? Harvest numbers were like 1, 600,000. Most IMO coming from private lands where pay hunting is the norm. I would like to see a statistic that shows how many birds are harvested on public land vs private in SD.

No matter, I wish hunters on both sides the boarder success but we will be hunting Minnesota only this year but will be in SoDak to do some other less competitive hunting. Sorry for the long post, just trying to state my position why I'm not going to resort to ditch hunting.

Carry on folks

Last edited:
Onpoint-

That was VERY WELL PUT! I can not agree more. When my group first hunt SD, they hunted for 20 years and never paid a dime. Then the first 3 years I hunted we paid $15/day/gun now the rate is $150/day/gun and that is LOW. After driving 1700 miles out, getting a dump of a room for $80/night, meals, gas, ammo, it has just gotten too darn expensive. Not that I can't afford it, I just choose not to afford it. I had anounced to my group that this would be my last year going to SD and paying those prices (little did I know I wouldn't be going). I am going to try KS this year and do some Duck hunting to boot. I plan on tent camping, cooking out, and running a low budget trip just to see the difference. I just hate that the greed has taken over what used to be a fun sport in a great area. But just like anything else, the guys with the most money usually wins, but that is a game I no longer wish to play. Plus to me it seems the attitude of a lot of the hunters (NOT ALL) in SD is becoming poorer each year. We had a group hunting next to us last year that we watched make a beautiful push and knocked down a few birds. Since they didn't have a dog, and were have difficulty finding thier last bird, I took my lab over and Genny found it in 2 seconds. She carried the bird over to me and I took it and tried handing it to the hunter. He sneared at me and said "If I wanted Dog slober all over my bird I would get my own da** dog, you keep the slober covered bird" I just appologized and walked away. Sometimes you just can't do nice things for folks, but doesn't mean I will stop trying. Anyway, I agree. The high price of hunting in SD has forced some to other means, ie road hunting. But I still don't believe that this is an excuse for having poor hunting ethics. SD is a huge state and there is room for all types of hunting. There is no need to ever encroach. Plus if road hunting in SD continues on the path it is on this will no longer be a discussion, SD will outlaw it completely. And how does that help anyone? Or the future of hunting?

Back