:( Rest in peace AFC River dog.

FCSpringer

I have been gone for some time, and had a reason. It's been a big hole left in my life that has had me down in a funk. We lost AFC Blue River's Fast Track "River" about a month or so ago. She made her final retrieve. River left us a winner. She won the last trial she ran in, the MESSC Open all age. She was a great one and fell short of her dual title of FC by 2 measly points. At just7 years old, and placing in about 80% of the trials she ran in. I know she would have completed that goal. She was one of the nicest dogs I have owned, and hunted behind. It will be hard for some time, but I am grateful to have the memories. I am blessed with 3 youngsters of hers from her 2nd and last litter of pups. Some of you remember her run at the National, some hunted with her. She will be deeply missed.

I figured something was up with you Ken. Sorry I didn't send out a PM to check in:(

Beautiful dog and a heck of a performer. Long live her bloodlines.

Nick

Last edited:
Ken - Even though I already knew what had happened it was tough reading that. Wish there was something I could say to help but not sure what that would be. Glad to hear her offspring are doing well for you and sure they will carry on what she started.

The only thing wrong with dogs.... They never live long enough.

Steve

River developed an auto immune reaction to "something". We will never know. Nothing hereditary. Could be a tic illness, could have been from over vaccinations. I do know now after talking to some other folks that there does seem to be a number of dogs with the reaction after getting all your shots in a day. I will never again have all shots done at the same time or as often. The U of WI has done studies to show that the teeters for these shots are viable out to 5-8 years for various ones. So here on out it is every 3 years , never annual. And they will be spread out, one this year, one that year. The not knowing is so hard. We fought for months, spent thousands, and she just could not lick it. It is a horrible thing for your dog to go through. So I recommend looking in to the U of WI and that study.

Such a beautiful dog. Lucky you found each other for some great years together.

River developed an auto immune reaction to "something". We will never know. Nothing hereditary. Could be a tic illness, could have been from over vaccinations. I do know now after talking to some other folks that there does seem to be a number of dogs with the reaction after getting all your shots in a day. I will never again have all shots done at the same time or as often. The U of WI has done studies to show that the teeters for these shots are viable out to 5-8 years for various ones. So here on out it is every 3 years , never annual. And they will be spread out, one this year, one that year. The not knowing is so hard. We fought for months, spent thousands, and she just could not lick it. It is a horrible thing for your dog to go through. So I recommend looking in to the U of WI and that study.

Ken, was it Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia? Where the immune system starts to overreact and kills off the red blood cells? I've lost 2 dogs (a Springer and a Brittany) to that disease in the past 16 years. Fought it hard with steroids but the disease finally won out. The Springer was 8 and the Britt was 12. In both dogs the symptoms started to show about 60 days after they had their vaccinations. I do believe that the vaccinations triggered it. At least now my vet is recommending the Rabies booster and the DHPP booster only every 3 years. And I will not give both at the same time.

So sorry Ken. The loss of a dog is the loss of a family member, never easy especially after loosing health battles at a young age.

Ken,

I am a devoted Springer man, and I can tell you River was one beautiful example of the breed. I have felt your pain my friend and unfortunately will feel it again, but the love they give back makes it worth it. When I get to heaven the first question I'm going to ask the big Guy is why did he give something we love so much such a short life span. R.I.P. River. My condolences to you and your family.

Dan

Very sorry to here this Ken.

I am a big proponent of doing titers on an every other year basis for the core diseases. I still do lepto and of course Rabies when they are due. My now 15 month old just received his last booster and from here on out will be titers. My vet vaccinates on an every 3 year protocol, but is fine with me doing titers.

My 9 year old has not had a booster vaccination in 6 years and have been doing Titers on an every 2 year basis and has always shown little if any drop in immunity to the core diseases that the boosters cover. He also suffered from terrible allergies when he was younger and since I have stopped vaccinating he has not had any issues, go figure???

Back