REAL South Dakota 2021 review.

I understand everyone has an opinion and preference on their likes and don't likes hunting upland method or style. The public land or walk-ins are plentiful in most of the states that produces hunt capable number of upland species and we have taken advantage of those opportunities with the understanding that mother nature and farming practices can temporary change those hunting conditions. In down years as hunters and with good dog work, we hunt harder for less harvest opportunities. That is the game. As I result, of those variances and upland population, the birth of the private game preserve was born and their lavishness was created to attract the money. Indeed they are profit organizations. However, as a whole rounded upland hunter the experience of both method creates an adventure to which say "ok that was not to my liking but I have now tried it"
or the other way. To others is providing another change for extended hunting period and giving your hunting companion another opportunity to be chasing birds. Is it the same ? No but another method of being able to be outdoors doing what we enjoy. It may not be for everyone to take advantage of these facilities but then that is fine as well. In the meantime, most of us here prefer the chase of the wild with our dog companion. Think- why there are so many hunting dog breeds chasing birds and so many walk-in properties and private game preserves. It is a multi-million industry ! For instance, if one wants to experience the "old classic" quail hunt of the South. Mostly likely it needs to come from the "plantation hunt" Private game preserve

PEACE & Good Hunting

Well guys....I think it's pretty much over in the areas I hunt. I went out this weekend with the fresh snow thinking it was going to be really good. I hunted my best public spots Saturday with my girlfriend all day and did not get many opportunities. I think we flushed around 45 pheasants out of 4 large areas, however, all but 5 of them were in two large areas in 2 groups.

These are spots that I've found over the last two years that have phenomenal winter cover, in areas with large bird numbers, and not a ton of pressure for public land. The birds were super jumpy, even with the fresh snow. I don't slam doors, and never talk in the field. I only use hand signals for my dog so I don't need to give him verbal commands. You literally can't be any more sneaky and quite and they were hard to get close to. We got three opportunities all day and I got them all.

Sunday I hunted around my house in an area with more pressure and less birds. I did not find a single spot that hadn't been hunted at least once (if not twice) on Saturday. I flushed 8 birds for the day and didn't get a single opportunity. I only saw 1 rooster and it flushed wild. I saw more hunters this weekend then I saw on opening weekend. I had two different times when I was hunting a field to have another group come and hunt another part of the same public land I was already on.

I've been doing really well the last month hunting out of the way spots and areas people have ignored. I fear my experience this last weekend is the proverbial "cliff" that I have experienced in the past. The snow should have helped the public land hunting and it did not help at all. The "cliff" is when the public land has gotten so much pressure the birds just stop using it all together. When I started noticing this trend last year it became very difficult to shoot anything. I think I got 6 birds in January in 10 days of hunting. I'd be very surprised if I shot 20 more birds the rest of the year and I'll put in another 12-15 days before the season is over. For perspective, I've been averaging 2.7 birds a day before this weekend.

If you're thinking about doing a South Dakota trip this year and hunting strictly public, I would temper your expectations. You could easily get 1 opportunity in a couple days of hard hunting. I live here and know which areas and corners get less pressure, you won't have that knowledge and luxury. A friend of mine, and my uncle, were supposed to come out hunting at the end of the month. I've contacted them both and told them not to come.

If you do go I would recommend you go to an area of the state that has allot of public land, and is not within an hour of any mid-size town. Any area where you think the public hasn't been hunted 4-5 times a weekend for the whole season.

The pressure continues to be high. In fact, the old adage that late season has less pressure doesn't seem to be true anymore. When I started pheasant hunting in the 90's I barely ever saw another pheasant hunter in December. The last 7-8 years it almost seems like I see more hunters in December then in October. The "secret" is out. Late season public land pheasant hunting is harder and busier then it used to be.
Don't get so caught up in numbers. Be glad to be out there.

I understand everyone has an opinion and preference on their likes and don't likes hunting upland method or style. The public land or walk-ins are plentiful in most of the states that produces hunt capable number of upland species and we have taken advantage of those opportunities with the understanding that mother nature and farming practices can temporary change those hunting conditions. In down years as hunters and with good dog work, we hunt harder for less harvest opportunities. That is the game. As I result, of those variances and upland population, the birth of the private game preserve was born and their lavishness was created to attract the money. Indeed they are profit organizations. However, as a whole rounded upland hunter the experience of both method creates an adventure to which say "ok that was not to my liking but I have now tried it"
or the other way. To others is providing another change for extended hunting period and giving your hunting companion another opportunity to be chasing birds. Is it the same ? No but another method of being able to be outdoors doing what we enjoy. It may not be for everyone to take advantage of these facilities but then that is fine as well. In the meantime, most of us here prefer the chase of the wild with our dog companion. Think- why there are so many hunting dog breeds chasing birds and so many walk-in properties and private game preserves. It is a multi-million industry ! For instance, if one wants to experience the "old classic" quail hunt of the South. Mostly likely it needs to come from the "plantation hunt" Private game preserve

PEACE & Good Hunting
I am against pay hunting. I see your point, and I disagree. Pay hunting is not good for pheasant hunting futures.

I am against pay hunting. I see your point, and I disagree. Pay hunting is not good for pheasant hunting futures.
No it's not. It pays the bills a while if you want be a guide. But then they go and set all those fake pen birds loose and just makes it worse even.

Where I spend most of my time in SD, farmland is selling for 6-8k per acre; no buyer can afford to idle any land. And where I am it’s marginal land. Any land that can be farmed is farmed, unfortunately. It doesn’t pencil out otherwise. So don’t pay to hunt. It doesn’t matter. It’s a pittance compared to current real world farm economics. But pay or don’t pay, the first thing I’d do if I wanted a farmer/rancher to give me the time of day would be to understand their reality. That’s what I’d suggest. Meanwhile, I’m leaving in the am for SD, where I pay to stay in a farmhouse, and with that being said, we have access to a shitpot of terrific private land to hunt. Best $ I ever spend, and it’s not that much compared to what you spend in a motel + eating out and drinking in taverns, bars, etc. Best $ ever spent. But don’t pay to hunt if you’re opposed to it. Don’t give a farmer any incentive to create habitat. 🤓

Where I spend most of my time in SD, farmland is selling for 6-8k per acre; no buyer can afford to idle any land. And where I am it’s marginal land. Any land that can be farmed is farmed, unfortunately. It doesn’t pencil out otherwise. So don’t pay to hunt. It doesn’t matter. It’s a pittance compared to current real world farm economics. But pay or don’t pay, the first thing I’d do if I wanted a farmer/rancher to give me the time of day would be to understand their reality. That’s what I’d. suggest. Meanwhile, I’m leaving in the am for SD, where I pay to stay in a farmhouse, and with that being said, we have access to a shitpot of terrific private land to hunt. Best $ I ever spend, and it’s not that much compared to what you spend in a motel + eating out and drinking in taverns, bars, etc. Best $ ever spent. But don’t pay to hunt if you’re opposed to it. Don’t give a farmer any incentive to create habitat. 🤓
Thank you. You are seeing the big picture. I just raised my rates for next year by 25% and they are all coming back. So I guess they think their money is well spent. As you have said BB there will be habitat for many kinds of wildlife. We are certified by the Audubon Society as raising beef in a bird friendly manner. The guy that did the bird count said that we had the most different species of any place he has surveyed. so the habitat must be working.

Ok guys I do respect all of your thinking. But I am not talking about paying to hunt as a course of my season. Wild birds is the predominate method. That mean public/walk ins and private land ( which is mostly my chase). I am talking about extending the season for dog work period. You may have an opinion on that as well either good or bad but it has worked for me for over 55years. Because my dogs are predominately chasing wild birds if they get a bad habit from the preserve ( they have on some occasions) once they get on wild bird it doesn't take long before that quickly stops. My preserve hunts in my club are " scratch hunts" (left over birds from other persons hunts) Not release or planted birds for me. I often come home with nothing. Since these birds were paid by others before me, I don't get charged. I usually stop with one or two harvested if lucky. I have also had a couple of my previous GSPs in hunt test or the like. I do have to pay an entry fee for that as well?!
Last year I put over 10k miles on my vehicle chasing the upland wild species from Montana ND & SD , NE to Oklahoma and most likely may duplicate it again next year.

I really do respect you guys thinking and wish you all a Happy Holiday Season with good hunting memories.

Last edited:
Please don't think that all pay hunts are preserves or released birds. I am sure that does exist, but it is not that way in all cases. Merry Christmas to you too.

My son and i will be heading out the 19th and coming home Christmas day. Should be a good trip weather wise and we are making homemade goodie bags for the farmer and his workers as a thank you.

This will be the second trip and first late season in 7 years. Looking forward to the late season hunt with my son. Hope everyone has a great holiday season. If see a white Ram with a big black dog from Michigan that will be us. Wave and say hello.

Best of luck to you and your son Miforester! I'll be heading out there with my son about the time you're heading back. I believe you said you're hunting the Redfield area. If you haven't already tried it, Tulare Country Meats has some great meat sticks, jerky, sausage, etc. Safe travels. Happy holidays to all!

What is the difference if you spend $300 on a motel, plus food, plus whatever else, versus spending $300 on renting a house that has some good hunting ground attached to it?

I am a mostly public land hunter, but I can make an argument on either side that pay hunting is good or bad for the future.

Reasons it's good: Allows landowners an additional source of income to provide better quality habitat. Not all public land has everything needed for pheasants, so I sometimes need another habitat source nearby to ensure that pheasants are at least in the area. Then hope the pheasants are currently on the piece I can hunt. Better habitat = more pheasants.

Reasons it's bad: Could potentially (and arguably already is) turn pheasant hunting into a rich man's sport. If people are willing to pay, the prices will keep going up for land access. Eventually it could drive out a lot of hunters. If there's less hunters, there's less tax money going to anything hunting or conservation related.

If you are an out of state hunter and already spending a weeks worth of vacation days, driving thousands of miles, training a dog year round, spending money on food, gas, hotel, etc. You've already got a lot of time, effort, money invested into your trip, it's completely understandable why someone would then want to pay an additional $250ish/day to have better land access and increase their odds.

I think it’s a bit like golf…if you’re price conscious, or not that into it, use the public course…May have to wait in line, may be in poor shape, etc; if you want a better course, more certainty of your tee time, etc, play private courses that cost more. Trust me, pay hunting isn’t ruining the common man’s pheasant hunting…farm economics is. Look into it. Cattail sloughs being tilled up, tree rows being cut down, fence lines being removed, etc, is all about having a few more acres to farm, in order to pay off land that cost $6,000 or more per acre to buy or $250-300 to rent each year. And there may be another generation joining the farm operation that needs to be supported. Clinging to nostalgic ideals of 75 or 50 years ago is fine…hope it works for you. I
Choose to recognize that an acre of land is worth a lot to a farmer, and how he chooses to utilize it matters and has to be considered carefully. It would be great if a guy who owns an apartment building would leave a few units vacant so his buddies had a place to stay for free when they’re in town a few times per year. I’ve been hunting CRP this fall that is smallish chunks of marginal land…great hunting, would make poor farmland…the landowner is getting paid to put it in CRP, and making a bit of $ giving the hunting rights to my farmer buddy…a win-win.

BB has it right. I'm 35, but fully expect that when I'm an old man decent hunting will only be on preserves. Land is just too expensive to leave out of production. That is if there is any hunting at all, many groups would love to see it ended.

That is unless there is a giant shake up. I think maybe lab grown meat could be that, but I don't have a crystal ball. I really don't like that thought as it would mean even more farmers leaving the game, and farming already has too many giant corporations running things.

This is America, money always wins in the end.

Back