REAL South Dakota 2021 review.

Yes, GM sadly private land will be paid hunting. As BB said we will be gone by then. We don't have wild pheasants here, but I see more and folks leasing ground for deer and turkey hunting. Most of my best friends are farmers, if I hadn't taken a different fork I to would have been. They all feel as I do, anti dich to dich farming. Won't lease for deer hunting. But what do you think will happen when they are gone? Most have sons, and none want to carry on with the farm! I do not begrudge wealthy folks, but they are the only ones that can buy it. It goes like this: It's sold, loggers come in and rape all they can get. Dozers come in and shove out EVERYTHING. What's left is either leased to deer hunters or posted and only the wealthy guy's kids, etc. gets to hunt it. Think about this, my grandfather was a sharecropper raised 9 kids. Lived mostly on a big garden and wildlife. My dad said they had 9 coveys within easy walking distance. Killed rabbits with sticks. They were their golden years! I had endless fence rows! On a good day might even kill the limit. Those were my golden years! My grandsons will remember going to the preserve and watching my dogs and shooting some birds. We have some land, so they will be able to do some deer and turkey hunting. Their golden years! Look at the wealthier European countries who have been around a lot longer than us and you will see what hunting will become here. Enjoy your golden years! Be thankful for your health, your birds and your freedom! Merry Christmas to all of you! Even you Goosemaster!! (I really do need to cut back on the coffee)
I think you're right.50 years from now, there will be no more knocking on doors asking permission to hunt.All farms will charge to hunt.I guess if I was a farmer, I would have to consider it. It would not be an easy decision because some folks simply can't afford trespassing fees.

Yes, GM sadly private land will be paid hunting. As BB said we will be gone by then. We don't have wild pheasants here, but I see more and folks leasing ground for deer and turkey hunting. Most of my best friends are farmers, if I hadn't taken a different fork I to would have been. They all feel as I do, anti dich to dich farming. Won't lease for deer hunting. But what do you think will happen when they are gone? Most have sons, and none want to carry on with the farm! I do not begrudge wealthy folks, but they are the only ones that can buy it. It goes like this: It's sold, loggers come in and rape all they can get. Dozers come in and shove out EVERYTHING. What's left is either leased to deer hunters or posted and only the wealthy guy's kids, etc. gets to hunt it. Think about this, my grandfather was a sharecropper raised 9 kids. Lived mostly on a big garden and wildlife. My dad said they had 9 coveys within easy walking distance. Killed rabbits with sticks. They were their golden years! I had endless fence rows! On a good day might even kill the limit. Those were my golden years! My grandsons will remember going to the preserve and watching my dogs and shooting some birds. We have some land, so they will be able to do some deer and turkey hunting. Their golden years! Look at the wealthier European countries who have been around a lot longer than us and you will see what hunting will become here. Enjoy your golden years! Be thankful for your health, your birds and your freedom! Merry Christmas to all of you! Even you Goosemaster!! (I really do need to cut back on the coffee)
I guess you're right.Progress can't be stopped, even when hunting is concerned. Another trend that concerns me, is the releasing of all these pen raised pheasants. I don't think this is a good thing at all.

I think you're right.50 years from now, there will be no more knocking on doors asking permission to hunt.All farms will charge to hunt.I guess if I was a farmer, I would have to consider it. It would not be an easy decision because some folks simply can't afford trespassing fees.
They won’t have habitat, there won’t be pay to hunt options on family farms. There will be preserves. Hope it’s a slow transformation, but it’s happening. A farmer can leave corn strips up and plant birds…charge $200-300/day to pheasant shooters. See this now. No habitat required. Some exceptions to what I’m predicting, but look around during dry years, cattails disappear like they’re the plague. Rare is the farmer who balances habitat into the operation…if you know one, give him reason$ to preserve and promote habitat. A 12 pack of beer and smoked fish is great, but doesn’t pay for much of the family’s annual health insurance bill, deductibles, co-payments, drugs, etc!

Last edited:
I guess you're right.Progress can't be stopped, even when hunting is concerned. Another trend that concerns me, is the releasing of all these pen raised pheasants. I don't think this is a good thing at all.
Although, the wild birds come from pen raised stock. I agree. No amount of pen raised birds can help populations. Only dilute what nature has perfected. I'm just waiting for some disease to jump from tame birds, chickens or turkeys to come along. We have These gigantic turkey and chicken farms here. The government has strict restrictions on how they store waste. They shove all the dead ones and all the manure in containment areas. But then they sell it to the farmers. they spread it thick on the fields in the fall and don't even have to disc it in!! Scares the shit out of me!

Look at the wealthier European countries who have been around a lot longer than us and you will see what hunting will become here.
Absolutely correct.

I was fortunate to participate in a driven pheasant hunt in the UK in 2003 when I went to get my first English Lab. Nothing at all like the "tower shoots" you see around the US; very much different. It is clearly a rich man's sport. Back then the shooter's bill roughed out to $40 per bird and that was 2003.I'm sure it's much higher now.

Generally a group of shooters, a "syndicate" would contract for a day or more of shooting at an estate. Total birds bagged during a shoot day on the estate I was at was generally 325 -425 birds per day, plus tips for the beaters, loaders (if any), pick up team. Not a sport for your average joe.

Of course, all of Europe has a long history of reserving the taking of game for the gentry. The masses never really were in on it. Coming to a brushy draw near you.....some day.

Lucky for us posting here, most of us will be out of the fields forever by the time that totally takes hold here.

Stocking of pheasants can be amazingly successful if done correctly.

Pheasant History​

Redfield's claim as the "Pheasant Capital of the World"® dates back to 1908.

The first successful stocking of pheasants in South Dakota took place in June, 1908 when H.P. Packard, J. Schalkle and H.A. Hagmann secured three pairs of pheasants from Grants Pass, Oregon. The birds were kept in crates on the Schalkle farm before they were released.

L.J. Howard, who at the time was the Spink County Clerk of Courts, went with the three men to Hagmann's Grove, just north of Redfield, to release the birds. The number of pheasants grew steadily over the years and the state game department purchased 48 pairs of birds with privately subscribed funds and released them near Redfield.

The first one-day open season on cock pheasants occurred in Spink County on October 30, 1919. Each person holding a small game license was permitted to kill two cock pheasants.

So with basically 50 pairs of birds and 100 years to work with, we had the boom years of pheasant hunting in SD.

Yes, you need wild bird pairs most likely. Yes, you need habitat. Yes, you need to catch some weather breaks.

However, the reputation SD has for pheasant hunting basically all started with 50 pair of stocked pheasant.

So with basically 50 pairs of birds and 100 years to work with, we had the boom years of pheasant hunting in SD.

Yes, you need wild bird pairs most likely. Yes, you need habitat. Yes, you need to catch some weather breaks.

However, the reputation SD has for pheasant hunting basically all started with 50 pair of stocked pheasant.
And an incredible amount of natural habitat. How quickly we forget history. The dust bowl years, topsoil wind eroded from Nebraska depositing in Texas. Makes me wonder if we don't deserve it again.

Although, the wild birds come from pen raised stock. I agree. No amount of pen raised birds can help populations. Only dilute what nature has perfected. I'm just waiting for some disease to jump from tame birds, chickens or turkeys to come along. We have These gigantic turkey and chicken farms here. The government has strict restrictions on how they store waste. They shove all the dead ones and all the manure in containment areas. But then they sell it to the farmers. they spread it thick on the fields in the fall and don't even have to disc it in!! Scares the shit out of me!
Good point.That could happen I guess.

Absolutely correct.

I was fortunate to participate in a driven pheasant hunt in the UK in 2003 when I went to get my first English Lab. Nothing at all like the "tower shoots" you see around the US; very much different. It is clearly a rich man's sport. Back then the shooter's bill roughed out to $40 per bird and that was 2003.I'm sure it's much higher now.

Generally a group of shooters, a "syndicate" would contract for a day or more of shooting at an estate. Total birds bagged during a shoot day on the estate I was at was generally 325 -425 birds per day, plus tips for the beaters, loaders (if any), pick up team. Not a sport for your average joe.

Of course, all of Europe has a long history of reserving the taking of game for the gentry. The masses never really were in on it. Coming to a brushy draw near you.....some day.

Lucky for us posting here, most of us will be out of the fields forever by the time that totally takes hold here.
Yeah well, some of the gentrified types are already out west.You are right, that could happen.

Farming is socialized. There aint much that the government and farmers got going on that don't go hand in hand. Check out EWG website and you can see how much money is given and most of the time its the same dudes that are taking out slews and putting in drain tile and crying about the government when there getting over six figures a year in handouts. Get things back to the free market.

Regardless of the source, decisions about land use comes down to $….whether it’s from the government or the free market, the farmer will be trying to maximize his income and at the same time minimize his expenses, consistent with his risk tolerance. Having family members that hunt is probably the most compelling reason a farmer leaves habitat vs burning, draining, chopping down, plowing, etc. The farmers I know who have pay hunters are the sons of farmers who hosted out of state hunters 50 years ago, and today it’s the sons who are playing host, and also, traveling to hunt. And in many cases there’s not enough land to hunt wild birds, so they release birds in corn strips or food plots…and they charge the hunters in order to defray their costs and maybe make it worth their while. I know one guy who is more geared toward pay hunting for the first month of the season, he has some good habitat of his own, and also, that he leases. Most of his $ is made from pheasant shooters, not hunters. They don’t have dogs, don’t realize that it’s unnatural for 90% of the birds to be roosters, etc. but they’re having fun, they keep returning!😆

Regardless of the source, decisions about land use comes down to $….whether it’s from the government or the free market, the farmer will be trying to maximize his income and at the same time minimize his expenses, consistent with his risk tolerance. Having family members that hunt is probably the most compelling reason a farmer leaves habitat vs burning, draining, chopping down, plowing, etc. The farmers I know who have pay hunters are the sons of farmers who hosted out of state hunters 50 years ago, and today it’s the sons who are playing host, and also, traveling to hunt. And in many cases there’s not enough land to hunt wild birds, so they release birds in corn strips or food plots…and they charge the hunters in order to defray their costs and maybe make it worth their while. I know one guy who is more geared toward pay hunting for the first month of the season, he has some good habitat of his own, and also, that he leases. Most of his $ is made from pheasant shooters, not hunters. They don’t have dogs, don’t realize that it’s unnatural for 90% of the birds to be roosters, etc. but they’re having fun, they keep returning!😆
Pheasant shooters, not hunters. 😆

But we've been getting our butts kicked so much in KS last couple years my wife quipped last time I told her I was going hunting that "it's getting more like hiking for you anymore isn't it?" 🤦‍♂️

I guess those are the guys who only hunt one week out of the year. I guess it's just the way the ball rolls in 2021.

The biggest thing to note is that those 50 pairs were wild caught out west from pheasants that were wild caught in the Far East.

I guess those are the guys who only hunt one week out of the year.

Not sure I would even call that "hunting" either. If I only "hunted" like that once a season for a week straight, I would not be going.

Its unfortunate that it probably will continue to be like this in the future. For now though, I prefer to hunt wild birds about once a week until the season ends. If I get none, so be it. Just the opportunity to hunt wild pheasants and take a walk through the countryside with my dog while I carry my Benelli is good enough.

Not sure I would even call that "hunting" either. If I only "hunted" like that once a season for a week straight, I would not be going.

Its unfortunate that it probably will continue to be like this in the future. For now though, I prefer to hunt wild birds about once a week until the season ends. If I get none, so be it. Just the opportunity to hunt wild pheasants and take a walk through the countryside with my dog while I carry my Benelli is good enough.
when it comes to few, if any birds left, i can go for a dog walk close to home and save a helluva lot of money, and sleep in my own bed at night!

i can go for a dog walk close to home and save a helluva lot of money, and sleep in my own bed at night
I am one of those fortunate ones too. I prefer to spread out my hunts 1-2 times/week for a couple months rather than bundle it all into a week of non-stop hunting for the entire season. I fish the same way too. I would rather fish 1-2 times a week spread out for 6 months than take 2 week long trips to Canada or other far away destination. Its just personal preference sometimes. At least I have the ability to pick and choose my days of hunting when better conditions are presented too. When you have a week long trip planned, you are kind of at the mercy of the weather/conditions.

The biggest thing to note is that those 50 pairs were wild caught out west from pheasants that were wild caught in the Far East.

Actually, maybe not. This article says the birds in the early releases came from game farms; from a Pennsylvania game farm in 1908, the Simpson Pheasant Farm in Corvallis, Oregon in 1909 and in 1911 from Frank L. Bramble Aviary at Watertown. It seems most of the early stockings that established pheasants in SD were game farm birds.

So I think with LOTS of solid HABITAT, decent weather and properly pre-conditioned game farm birds you could start a pheasant population. That's how they did it in SD at the turn of the century.

I doubt there'll ever be enough solid habitat from here on in though. Enjoy them now while and if you can.

Back