REAL South Dakota 2021 review.

I didn’t hunt public this trip except wed during last hour, but I saw nobody hunting public either. Did see some big groups hunting private land…overall, not that many hunters for it being pretty nice. Been hunting late season out there for 29 years now, can’t say hunter #’s are that different late season vs 10 or 20 years ago…lighter, probably, as bird #’s have dropped.

Birds were much easier last week...than my trip in November. Almost nobody hunting, but we did get a bit of screwing from a group of guys from Green Bay Wisconsin. They moved in on us shortly after opening one morning. They lined up and pushed out all the birds from the cattails. It made it really easy for me to mop up a limit. Thanks morons!

Found birds pretty much everywhere we hunted, although we skipped areas that were bad in November.

Well guys....I think it's pretty much over in the areas I hunt. I went out this weekend with the fresh snow thinking it was going to be really good. I hunted my best public spots Saturday with my girlfriend all day and did not get many opportunities. I think we flushed around 45 pheasants out of 4 large areas, however, all but 5 of them were in two large areas in 2 groups.

These are spots that I've found over the last two years that have phenomenal winter cover, in areas with large bird numbers, and not a ton of pressure for public land. The birds were super jumpy, even with the fresh snow. I don't slam doors, and never talk in the field. I only use hand signals for my dog so I don't need to give him verbal commands. You literally can't be any more sneaky and quite and they were hard to get close to. We got three opportunities all day and I got them all.

Sunday I hunted around my house in an area with more pressure and less birds. I did not find a single spot that hadn't been hunted at least once (if not twice) on Saturday. I flushed 8 birds for the day and didn't get a single opportunity. I only saw 1 rooster and it flushed wild. I saw more hunters this weekend then I saw on opening weekend. I had two different times when I was hunting a field to have another group come and hunt another part of the same public land I was already on.

I've been doing really well the last month hunting out of the way spots and areas people have ignored. I fear my experience this last weekend is the proverbial "cliff" that I have experienced in the past. The snow should have helped the public land hunting and it did not help at all. The "cliff" is when the public land has gotten so much pressure the birds just stop using it all together. When I started noticing this trend last year it became very difficult to shoot anything. I think I got 6 birds in January in 10 days of hunting. I'd be very surprised if I shot 20 more birds the rest of the year and I'll put in another 12-15 days before the season is over. For perspective, I've been averaging 2.7 birds a day before this weekend.

If you're thinking about doing a South Dakota trip this year and hunting strictly public, I would temper your expectations. You could easily get 1 opportunity in a couple days of hard hunting. I live here and know which areas and corners get less pressure, you won't have that knowledge and luxury. A friend of mine, and my uncle, were supposed to come out hunting at the end of the month. I've contacted them both and told them not to come.

If you do go I would recommend you go to an area of the state that has allot of public land, and is not within an hour of any mid-size town. Any area where you think the public hasn't been hunted 4-5 times a weekend for the whole season.

The pressure continues to be high. In fact, the old adage that late season has less pressure doesn't seem to be true anymore. When I started pheasant hunting in the 90's I barely ever saw another pheasant hunter in December. The last 7-8 years it almost seems like I see more hunters in December then in October. The "secret" is out. Late season public land pheasant hunting is harder and busier then it used to be.
That sounds just like every year of my 40-year career of chasing the little bastards on public land. There are times when they seem almost impossible. But then something changes. Heck, I wrote a somewhat similar post least season. But then January turned out to be considerably better than December for me. I think to use one weekend as a barometer through the end of January might be over-presumptuous, especially for somebody who has considerable experience & local knowledge. Besides, in most areas, we didn't get a 4" snow. We got 8, 10, 12" or even more. That can screw them up more than that 4-5" first snow everyone loves so much.

I've only been pheasant hunting 3 years, and in all the forums, magazines, podcasts, I've heard many times, "late season is great hunting and all the other hunters are done for the season." Apparently all the hunters that used to stop hunting early on heard the same message, because from what I've seen hunting pressure doesn't change much at all from opener to closer. The OP got a 9 pager going and he hasn't been back on the site in 2 months😆

Just finished a 3 day weekend. Hunted all public. Saw tons of birds. Hoping for no heavy snow falls. Brittany's have short legs. I will gladly buy another license come January.
I did talk to some guys that were struggling. I don't think it was from lack of birds as much as their hunting style. I think the biggest mistake people make late season is not being quiet enough. I hunt alone and I don't even like talking to my dogs.
The last 2 weekends were very good to me. I understand that each county hunts different and there has been mixed success. I feel fortunate to have had the opportunity to be successful. Even without that success I'd still go.
Because....
The only thing finer than a dog on point, is another dog honoring that point.

Just finished a 3 day weekend. Hunted all public. Saw tons of birds. Hoping for no heavy snow falls. Brittany's have short legs. I will gladly buy another license come January.
I did talk to some guys that were struggling. I don't think it was from lack of birds as much as their hunting style. I think the biggest mistake people make late season is not being quiet enough. I hunt alone and I don't even like talking to my dogs.
The last 2 weekends were very good to me. I understand that each county hunts different and there has been mixed success. I feel fortunate to have had the opportunity to be successful. Even without that success I'd still go.
Because....
Glad to hear you're having success. And I agree. Assuming you're able to put yourself in the right place at the right time, stealth is critical. Always try to hunt the most likely parts of an area into the wind. Even if it only gains you 5-10 yards, that could be the difference between a decent shot & no shot. Still....even if you think conditions would dictate that birds hold tight & you're doing everything in your power to be quiet, sometimes they just won't allow you to get anywhere near them. I don't know how they do it, but they do.

Reactions: Zew
Exactly. Another thing is knowing when I need to 'run'. If I see my dog is working running birds I know I need to keep up. When he locks point they probably won't hold tight for to long.

Exactly. Another thing is knowing when I need to 'run'. If I see my dog is working running birds I know I need to keep up. When he locks point they probably won't hold tight for to long.
Wait. You're saying that an actual (pronounced wild & pressured) pheasant might not wait for you to casually saunter up & kick him into the air with your boot?? 🤣 Kidding. There are plenty of times I'd give my eye teeth for even a second or 2 of point. But alas, I'm a springer guy, so if you ain't running, you ain't hunting.🤣

Because....
I do the same thing. I never talk at all. I've trained my dog based on hand signals....If I need him to look at me I'll vibrate him then hand signal his recall command. I'll make him heel if we are getting close to good cover etc. All non-verbal. I think you may be hunting in an area of much less pressure with more public land. I've been thinking about heading that way myself, it's just a longer drive then a day trip for me. I try to stay within an hour and a half from home.

That sounds just like every year of my 40-year career of chasing the little bastards on public land. There are times when they seem almost impossible. But then something changes. Heck, I wrote a somewhat similar post least season. But then January turned out to be considerably better than December for me. I think to use one weekend as a barometer through the end of January might be over-presumptuous, especially for somebody who has considerable experience & local knowledge. Besides, in most areas, we didn't get a 4" snow. We got 8, 10, 12" or even more. That can screw them up more than that 4-5" first snow everyone loves so much.
I hope I'm wrong. I wasn't using one weekend as a barometer. I've been seeing the decline for a few weeks. The most popular spots shut down first.....then you can scratch out birds in overlooked spots and back corners. I get concerned when those back corners and odd spots become no mans land. There is definitely a point where a spot gets so much pressure the birds just stop using it. In my area those back corners get less pressure, but still enough at some point to completely kick birds out of there besides a random bird here and there.

My experience last year was the opposite of yours. I had a decent December and a terrible January. December seemed to be good because we kept getting snow, then it would melt and we'd get more. I had weekends in January where I'd get one shot for the whole weekend and see a couple birds.

I'm going to keep hunting regardless.

Wait. You're saying that an actual (pronounced wild & pressured) pheasant might not wait for you to casually saunter up & kick him into the air with your boot?? 🤣 Kidding. There are plenty of times I'd give my eye teeth for even a second or 2 of point. But alas, I'm a springer guy, so if you ain't running, you ain't hunting.🤣
I bet you do a lot more running then me!

I do the same thing. I never talk at all. I've trained my dog based on hand signals....If I need him to look at me I'll vibrate him then hand signal his recall command. I'll make him heel if we are getting close to good cover etc. All non-verbal. I think you may be hunting in an area of much less pressure with more public land. I've been thinking about heading that way myself, it's just a longer drive then a day trip for me. I try to stay within an hour and a half from home.

I hope I'm wrong. I wasn't using one weekend as a barometer. I've been seeing the decline for a few weeks. The most popular spots shut down first.....then you can scratch out birds in overlooked spots and back corners. I get concerned when those back corners and odd spots become no mans land. There is definitely a point where a spot gets so much pressure the birds just stop using it. In my area those back corners get less pressure, but still enough at some point to completely kick birds out of there besides a random bird here and there.

My experience last year was the opposite of yours. I had a decent December and a terrible January. December seemed to be good because we kept getting snow, then it would melt and we'd get more. I had weekends in January where I'd get one shot for the whole weekend and see a couple birds.

I'm going to keep hunting regardless.
My recommendation, make the drive...

I had weekends in January where I'd get one shot for the whole weekend and see a couple birds.
I took my first trip to south dakota last January, 2nd to last weekend of the season. I averaged out a bird a day, had a shot at 2-3 a day. Missed a few, lost a few. From talking to other guys hunting at the hotel I was at, that was not a bad average. I hunted public land. I had zero prior knowledge/experience of the area. Some spots had too thin habitat, live and learn. Going in blind, scouting on the fly, trying some spots that were not good(I'm learning) and questioning if I should have even made the trip, I can say that now, 11 months in the past, I'm so glad I did and would do it again in a heartbeat. I'm still hunting wily birds in MN and Iowa right now, but have a feeling SD will be calling me after those 2 states close. Fingers crossed for "nice" weather(20s-30s) this January in the land of great faces, great places. My favorite picture from the trip, I shared it on here last year.

Attachments

• Dogs at the Bar.jpg
    Dogs at the Bar.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 22
I bet you do a lot more running then me!
Probably so. Sometimes it works out. Sometimes not so much. Rooster pheasants are amazing creatures. Sunday Ace got hot in a little strip of cattails on a GPA. I didn't have to run, but I had to quicken my pace quite a bit to keep up for 70-80 yards. At the end, the cattails widened out a bit & Ace started ripping around in there, trying to pinpoint what he was after. The State had apparently been clearing unwanted trees in the area, because there was a huge brush pile on the edge of the cattails. I felt like I was in as good a position for a shot as possible, & sure enough, Ace soon found & flushed a rooster. But somehow they know how to take advantage of the very last card in the deck. Of all the angles he could've flushed at, he chose to fly behind the brush pile. So to get a shot at all, I had to hurry it, & hit him lightly in the butt. When he finally emerged on the other side of the brush pile, he was probably 60 yards away, & I whizzed some more bismuth his way, mostly as a ballistic cuss word. (If I'd completely missed on the 1st shot, I doubt I'd have even bothered w/ the long, long one.) He didn't act very injured, but after about 150 yds or so he dropped dead on the ice/snow. Ace made the easy retrieve. Anyway, we got that one, but it wasn't impressive from my perspective. That bird exhausted every last trick in his book in an attempt to survive. I know they learn from experience. But sometimes it seems like they're actually capable of cognitive reasoning. Maybe they are. Smart birds.

Back